• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

New wings approved for AMDO/Aviation LDO/CWOs

madmex

From what I've been told it takes several operational tours to include squadron, AIMD and major command to complete the PQS. No 1520 out of a one month school will get it. These guys deserve to be recognized for years of service supporting the fleet. I say BZ to all who got pinned!

Pic of event

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor

AMDO/AEDOs are needed.

They don't need wings. If they wanted wings, they should have gone the hell to flight school.

But then again, I'm an asshole.

You are an asshole: AEDO's did go to flight school - I'm on my third logbook and will be able to stay in the cockpit through 20. When you get to half my flight time total let me know. Until then, why not let me keep my wings?:D

NYYanks

Tweaking off my coffee
From the CNIC website - Service members and civilian employees of the CONUS and OCONUS CNIC Regions and Installations worldwide are authorized to wear the MUC ribbon effective immediately.
There ya go, more chest candy for those who want it. Thanks for pulling that from the website Cleonard:)

MasterBates

BAM! Off the top rope Bert comes with the flying elbow.

Are there not AEDOs without Pilot/NFO backgrounds? I could have sworn I went to OCS with a couple that were going straight to Engineer type jobs w/o flight school, but it would not be the first time I was wrong.

@ Steve.. Call it a "Warfare Pin" or whatever. Wings were around before the Navy called them that. Wings have been issued in the same relative place in the training pipeline for a LONG time. Unlike some other pins that are a PQS and a board, we have some tradition behind ours. :D

I have no hate directed at the AMDOs. But this "Everyone needs chest candy regardless of job" shit has to fucking stop. Soon we will give out "Mess Cranking" pins to undesignated Airmen who show up on the boat and crank for 6 months. I wouldn't want to crank. It's needed. But just because a job is needed or thankless does not mean it needs more bling.

The more devices they throw out there, cheapens the ones that are already in existence IMHO.

Kind of like how every other dude out there has a "College Degree" nowadays, but the majority of them are in total shit subjects or from degree mills.

Not everybody needs a degree. The world needs farm help, welders and truck drivers too. (and I've had all those jobs, so I can say that if anyone wants to get all butt-hurt about me making fun of certain jobs).

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor

Are there not AEDOs without Pilot/NFO backgrounds? I could have sworn I went to OCS with a couple that were going straight to Engineer type jobs w/o flight school, but it would not be the first time I was wrong.

There are a few - I only recently learned that you can be a DCO into AEDO as a SELRES. But if you do then you won't have wings.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
You're right...

MB, you're right! My son Mike...maxsonic on AW, is an O-5 USNR AEDO. Upon grad from SDSU in '88 with a BS in Aero Eng., he applied for Navy Flight Training but was PDQ'd for color vision. He applied for and was granted a commission as AEDO in the Reserves.
Living in San Diego, he has drilled with an FRC unit at NATC China Lake since & is now OinC of the unit. He has been mobilized three times since 2006, serving 2-9 mo. deployments in Iraq & 1 in Korea. Since he couldn't fly, he is very satisfied with his AEDO career in the F/A-18 engineering field. This fits in nicely with his civilian job as Senior Engineer with FRC SW at NAS North Island F/A-18 airframe Service Life Extension Program (SLEP). It can be done!
P.S. Nether Bert nor MB is an asshole, period!!!
BzB

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
So the basic issue seems to be one of recognition - i.e., an LDO AMDO Ensign has earned his salt and desires to be distinguished in uniform from some asshole Ensign straight outta Naptown.

Why not have LDO's wear a collar device akin to those worn by Warrants? Bars/leaves on one collar point, community device on the other. You know who they are and what they do, without having to make "wings" for everyone.

The way I see it, the big diff between us and the Air Force, pin-wise, is that traditionally our pins showed a skill mastered - fly the plane, drive the boat, dive the sub, eat the snakes or blow up da bombs - whereas theirs simply showed your job. Maybe I'm just being parochial, but I generally don't think there's much merit to doing anything the AF way.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
So the basic issue seems to be one of recognition - i.e., an LDO AMDO Ensign has earned his salt and desires to be distinguished in uniform from some asshole Ensign straight outta Naptown.

Why not have LDO's wear a collar device akin to those worn by Warrants? Bars/leaves on one collar point, community device on the other. You know who they are and what they do, without having to make "wings" for everyone.

Well, usually the rows of ribbons and EAWS will take care of that. Trust me non-prior AMDOs are rare. Most of the 1520s have prior time and a lot come from aviation.

It's so uncommon to have non-prior AMDOs that I had Chiefs asking me if I was an LDO despite the fact that I was 23 and had a fucking National Defense and a Sea Service Ribbon on my chest. Wait...come to think of it, they were probably mocking me. Nevermind.

LazersGoPEWPEW

4500rpm
Contributor

Sounds like what the Army does. I must say though, it's very easy to tell what they do when there is a branch device on their collar. (Those in the Army)

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
@ Steve.. Call it a "Warfare Pin" or whatever. Wings were around before the Navy called them that. Wings have been issued in the same relative place in the training pipeline for a LONG time. Unlike some other pins that are a PQS and a board, we have some tradition behind ours. :D
More like multiple PQS's and multiple boards....for both SWO and Subs. Somehow I think you believe that sub guys get their Dolphins straight out of Sub school. Sub school for officers is the submarine community's version of SWOS.

Pags

N/A
pilot
The way I see it, the big diff between us and the Air Force, pin-wise, is that traditionally our pins showed a skill mastered - fly the plane, drive the boat, dive the sub, eat the snakes or blow up da bombs - whereas theirs simply showed your job. Maybe I'm just being parochial, but I generally don't think there's much merit to doing anything the AF way.

So where's the harm in giving a guy who has the aviation maintenance skill mastered a pin to distinguish him from some undesignated smoe? It's not like the Navy decided to give them all Naval Aviator wings.

And I don't buy the "warfare pins only for guys with necks on the line". I guess that means no more EAWS for P-3 maintainers. But of course, anyone on the boat, whether they're an IntelO or Chaps is still at risk if have another Oriskany/Forrestal fire or a Cole attack. The fire isn't only going to burn up qualified people.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
So where's the harm in giving a guy who has the aviation maintenance skill mastered a pin to distinguish him from some undesignated smoe? It's not like the Navy decided to give them all Naval Aviator wings.

And I don't buy the "warfare pins only for guys with necks on the line". I guess that means no more EAWS for P-3 maintainers. But of course, anyone on the boat, whether they're an IntelO or Chaps is still at risk if have another Oriskany/Forrestal fire or a Cole attack. The fire isn't only going to burn up qualified people.
+1...who cares? I look at other people's warfare devices about as much as I look at my own asshole. Everybody has something these days, and the only people who should get shit on are those who wear stuff they didn't earn.