• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

"Mother's Little [PRT] Helper?"

BarrettRC8

VMFA
pilot
I take it you're talking about the new Radford gym. The API gym is still pretty solid.

It is because with a higher concentration of Navy personnel and less civilian/old-timers, we don't need that bullshit Nautilus equipment.

If you ask me, the Whiting gym is still lacking more of the most important pieces of equipment: More benches, more squat racks.

Yes I am; I don't have a problem with the equipment - Some of the Nautilus stuff is actually excellent. I have a problem with the lack of space and putting all of the cardio equipment in the same room which causes the small room to be overcrowded.

Though i agree that you could always do with more benches and squat racks. I guess its not really an issue at Whiting because it is far less busy from what I've seen.

I'll have to check out the API gym. Where is it located?

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Across from the NASC building and behind branch medical, near where all the navy studs muster in the morning. It's fairly non descript, but it's got a big set of NFO and NA wings on the front. No A/C but it's big and has lots of free weight stuff.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
Yeah, I always liked that gym. It even had a speedbag and was really spread out. The Corpus gym is pretty good, too.

Bevo16

pilot
Non sarcastic tips from a guy who took the CFL course just a few months ago.

I'll start with some of the obvious ones that are not so obvious to our sailors.

1. Work out prior to the PRT. If you are trying to cram it, you are going to fail and hurt yourself.

2. If you are injured, say so prior.

3. Don't eat a giant meal right before the PRT. Don't starve yourself either. A breakfast heavy on dairy is not a good idea.

4. Stretch and warm up. If it is cold out, don't strip all of your warm up gear off prior to starting the pushups, sit ups. Keep the top on as long as you can, and keep your legs covered until right before the run.

5. Don't take the PRT on a cardio machine without doing several test runs and knowing exactly what score you will put up. More people fail the cardio portion of the PRT Navy wide than fail the run, and less than 10% use a cardio machine. It's hard.

Some not so-obvious ones.

1. You can get 10-15 extra pushups if you start by doing a "wide stance" pushup and then shift your stance by bringing your elbows close to your body after you burn your chest out. Changing your position causes you to shift the focus from your chest to your triceps. It's legal, it's smart, and it works.

2. The range of motion required for a "legal" curl up is very small. Extra range of motion doing full sit ups wastes time and energy.

3. Run the way you run. Don't do anything stupid and crazy for the 1.5 mile run. The PRT is not the time to try something new. The times are easy to make as long as you don't kill yourself in the process.

4. If you don't use stimulants like ripped fuel or hydroxycut on a regular basis, don't use them on the PRT.

5. Carb loading is not going to do much for your physical abilities, but if it makes you fell good and puts you in a positive mental state and makes your feel more prepared, then it probably will help. Same goes with any other part of the "mental" game. If you feel good, you do better than if you don't.

6. Take a pre-game dump. You feel better, weigh less, and not worrying about crapping your pants during the run is a lot better than worrying about crapping your pants during the run.

Finally, if you have to use any of this to PASS the PRT, then you are not working out enough. Same with your sailors. Junior officer aviators' vanity should be getting them in the gym enough to keep them in well within standards. If your ego is not sufficient to care about yourself and the way you look and feel so that you will keep yourself in an acceptable fitness standard, you probably need to push away from the computer right now and go for a run.

marks

i thought i had seen this somewhere before, but what are the procedures behind taking the PRT run on a treadmill?

is there an incline percentage and is it stilla 1.5 mile run on the treadmill?

Sly1978

Living the Dream
pilot
I would not think highly of a fellow JO and I definitely would have a poor opinion of some higher up the chain if they had to use an elliptical machine to pass their PRT. I really think the navy should take a tougher stance on physical fitness...etc, etc, etc....

It's always refreshing to hear what the Marines think about Navy PT standards. I never would have guessed.

Before you get too high on your soapbox, you should know that the elliptical is not for people who can't pass the run PRT. As MasterBates pointed out, it's for people with lower-body injuries. As has been stated here, people who are out of shape would probably have a much easier time struggling through the run than trying to score well with the elliptical.

One more word of advice: Until you put on wings, your aircraft commander designation, and railroad tracks (actually, more like gold (if not silver) oak leaves), no one is going to give a damn who or what you have "poor opinions" of. Just my $.02

Machine

Super *********
pilot
None
Site Admin
i thought i had seen this somewhere before, but what are the procedures behind taking the PRT run on a treadmill?

is there an incline percentage and is it stilla 1.5 mile run on the treadmill?

Just read the instruction. It's all in there.

Yes it's 1.5 miles and 1.0 incline.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Just read the instruction. It's all in there.

Yes it's 1.5 miles and 1.0 incline.

I've read this and it seems like a good deal (since I usually do at least 1.5 incline on my treadmill runs), but the problem is that most treadmills take like 15 seconds to spool up to your running speed, so if you dial in 7.5mph, it might actually take you 12:15 or so instead of 12:00. Not a HUGE difference in time, but it can easily take off 10 seconds or so from your time.

I wonder if there's any sort of possibility for letting it spool up first, then jumping on and starting the time (based on starting distance and time)?

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I've read this and it seems like a good deal (since I usually do at least 1.5 incline on my treadmill runs), but the problem is that most treadmills take like 15 seconds to spool up to your running speed, so if you dial in 7.5mph, it might actually take you 12:15 or so instead of 12:00. Not a HUGE difference in time, but it can easily take off 10 seconds or so from your time.

I wonder if there's any sort of possibility for letting it spool up first, then jumping on and starting the time (based on starting distance and time)?

Sorry, no spool up. the treadmill PRT is done on the approved machine. To get to the settings, push the fit test button multiple times to the Navy PRT setting. It goes through the AF & Army tests too. It will ask for weight & speed but will auto set incline and time. There is no cooldown on the backside either. After the 1.5 run, it will give you your score (unofficial of course).

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Also - haven't seen anyone mention this - but I also make sure I'm wearing underwear that's comfortable for working out - regular boxers just don't cut it for me - I make sure I'm wearing boxer briefs or under armour shorts. Weird? Maybe. Effective? I'd say so. Might as well be comfortable!

Sly1978

Living the Dream
pilot
Just as long as you remember to cut those terrible "modesty liners" out of your pretty new Navy PT shorts.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Just as long as you remember to cut those terrible "modesty liners" out of your pretty new Navy PT shorts.

Ditto. I wore them for the first time last week for the A-pool PRT and had never tried them on. Big mistake. I don't think the uniform people actually wear tested these monstrosities, because had they done so they would have realized that these shorts suck donkey balls.