• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

"Mother's Little [PRT] Helper?"

Sly1978

Living the Dream
pilot
Like a lot of squadrons, we just ran the PRT. I noticed that a lot of people have little things that they do to help themselves out.

So, what are the little last minute pre-PRT secrets that everyone out there uses to shave that extra few seconds off the run or boost your push-ups or whatever.

I don't care if its a special meal the night before or if you take five Ripped-Fuel and wash them down with a Red Bull chaser in the parking lot 5 minutes before go-time, let's hear 'em.

wrecklessfool

just slackin...
I don't sense any joking...you shouldn't have to do any "last minute preps" for the PRT. If you maintain an adequate fitness regimen throughout the year, PRT day is just another day...and an opportunity to take advantage of the dividends that your hard work pays:D

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
Well I'm part of the PFT side of the house, but heres my tip:

Take a dump BEFORE.

The pft is probably one of natures best laxatives and having to blow severly f's up your run time and your will. Also, you wont forever scar the guy holding for your crunches.

navy09

None
I feel sorry for the people who consider a 1.5 mile run and four minutes of upper body and core exercises to be a rough workout.

No secrets, I've known people who have run the PRT sick and severely hung over and still far exceeded the minimums. I've also known people who diet or don't drink for weeks in advance and still fail. It's all about what kind of shape you're in.

HueyCobra8151

pilot
I ran a Marine Corps PFT w/: Mono, Liver Infection, Anemia, and Strep Throat (after just coming back to the states) and still got a 260-something...

Tip for Navy PRT: Work-the-fuck-out...

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
+1 on the pre-game dump. Takes a LOAD off your mind (pun intended) when you gotta push for that extra couple seconds.

Make sure to eat a carbohydrate rich meal the night before (at least 4 hours before if the day-of) the PRT. I find that when I try to run after eating a carb-lacking meal, that I am barely trudging along and puffing and blowing. After eating a carb-rich meal, even if "unhealthy", I am blowing along just fine and not hurting too bad.

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
Well I'm part of the PFT side of the house, but heres my tip:

Take a dump BEFORE.

The pft is probably one of natures best laxatives and having to blow severly f's up your run time and your will. Also, you wont forever scar the guy holding for your crunches.

Honestly, doesn't matter for me. Even if I pregame the 'dump.' I still about half way through have to go. i guess that's just me and it makes me run a little faster, still not that fast though ;)

BullGator

Honestly, doesn't matter for me. Even if I pregame the 'dump.' I still about half way through have to go. i guess that's just me and it makes me run a little faster, still not that fast though ;)
I'm still getting into shape, so I am so beat during the run that I wouldn't be able to tell. A pre-game dump is a good idea every time if you can. I thought this was something that was just obvious though; you have to go then go, if not you should be alright. Good advice regardless though, +1.

What is your guys take on drinking Gatorade/Powerade before the PRT? Does it help, hurt, or what? I did it my first time and failed and haven't done it since, but I think it may have helped me out with the run the first day. (I drank 6 oz of Gatorade about 20 minutes before testing, by the way.)

JTD

+1 on the pre-game dump. Takes a LOAD off your mind (pun intended) when you gotta push for that extra couple seconds.

You know how I know you're a douche...because you felt it necessary to tell everyone "pun intended". Why doesn't anyone give this guy shit anymore, he just begs for it all the time.