• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

"Mother's Little [PRT] Helper?"

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The Gunnie from back in my NROTC days told us of old school marines who would pour themselves a pint of Guinness the night before. They would let it sit out overnight so it became room temperature and lost all the carbonation (nitrogenation?). They would then chug it right beforehand. The alcohol would take the edge off a little but you wouldn't have the cold shock to your system and gas sitting in your stomach.
No, THAT is the worst pre-game advice I have ever heard. ACK! :sick_125: :yuck_125:

Sky-Pig

Retired Cryptologic Warfare / Naval Flight Officer
None
I can honestly say that is some of the worst pre-game advice I have EVER heard.

Sure...for you. Everyone is different, so don't afraid try different techniques and find out what works for you during the PRT.

I had a team mate on my HS Basketball team who slammed a 2-liter of grape soda about 15 minutes before tip-off...then played all 40 minutes. I would have probably died in mid-stride if I'd tried that sort of insanity...but it worked for him.

My advice to improve on the run portion...improve your abdominal muscles. If your core is not strong, you will tend to start relying more on your hip flexors during the curl up phase...which will directly impact your run performance. If you can use your abs more, then you are saving your legs for the run.

Bigger picture..in terms of long-term preparation...complete a full PRT once a week to get used to doing the exercises in the order and time frame that is required. Also, if the PRT is normally run in the AM...then do your practice PRTs in the AM, as well. It should help you set your bio-rythym.

D_Rob

Lead LTJG
No, THAT is the worst pre-game advice I have ever heard. ACK! :sick_125: :yuck_125:

I never said it was a good idea, I just thought it was interesting. You could also try doing a line of coke before the run, I'm sure that would help your run time.

srqwho

pilot
I'm no expert, but I run quite a bit and what helps out for me A LOT is to warm-up for about 5-10 min before. I jog for a few min and then do some accelerations that are about 10-15 sec each.

As far as the carb loading goes... I've been told by a few coaches and long distance types that your body uses stored glycogen for the first 45 min to an hour for fuel before going to other sources like fat. In order for your glycogen stores to be high you don't just load up one night, but eat more carbs for a few days ahead of time. I've also heard that carb loading works best when you deplete you carb stores about a week and a half before and then increase your carb intake a few days before to top things off. BUT, the PRT run is only like 9-13 minutes so...

Sly1978

Living the Dream
pilot
Good stuff here. By the way, I didn't start this thread because I have any problems passing a PRT. I just was looking around at the other guys in my squadron and watching all the stuff they were doing and wondering what everyone else does.

It's like Arnold Palmer - His wife would kiss his golf ball before every round. Sure, there's no way that's really going to have any effect on his game, but it was a tradition for him.

I think there is a lot of useful info here, though, for the people who are applying (where a few extra seconds does matter) and anyone else who needs to just eek out a couple more crunches or a little bit more on the run. Even if the effect is purely psychological, that's most of the PRT anyway. I've known guys who can smoke most everyone else in regular PT, but get so wrapped around the axle when it comes time for the PRT that they don't perform at the same level for whatever reason. That's where all these last minute ideas come in handy.

johnny utah

still bigger than hip-hop
pilot
Fuck the run. Swim that shit.

Second that. Running is just plain bad for you. All that shock on the femur, and for what? A Gandhi-like physic and a few less toenails. No thank you. Besides, i could definitely max the PRT if only I could find command who'll let me swim it.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Second that. Running is just plain bad for you. All that shock on the femur, and for what? A Gandhi-like physic and a few less toenails. No thank you. Besides, i could definitely max the PRT if only I could find command who'll let me swim it.

You can swim it in both Corpus and Whiting.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
Are they still giving a heads up for when the PRT is now, or has it switched to where they surprise you with it?

Raptor2216

Has anyone else done the eliptical machine yet?? It's pretty interesting.

I would not think highly of a fellow JO and I definitely would have a poor opinion of some higher up the chain if they had to use an elliptical machine to pass their PRT. I really think the navy should take a tougher stance on physical fitness.

I can understand there are operational rigors that can hinder daily workouts schedules but I've seen many SNA's who are simply fat bodies. I don't think there is any reason at all to be out of shape while in flight school because there is PLENTY of time to keep yourself from looking like a bag of ass.

BlackBearHockey

go blue...
I would not think highly of a fellow JO and I definitely would have a poor opinion of some higher up the chain if they had to use an elliptical machine to pass their PRT. I really think the navy should take a tougher stance on physical fitness.

I used to be in the same boat, but the more I learn about the elliptical PRT the more I'm not opposed to it. Apparently it's much more difficult than just elliptical-ing for a few minutes as it's based on how many calories you burn, which on the elliptical means keeping your heart rate at a high level for a period of time. I think I remember hearing it was designed for those who spend a lot of time on a ship/sub that might not have adequate space for working out.

+1 for the swim PRT comments though!