• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

"Mother's Little [PRT] Helper?"

Raptor2216

I used to be in the same boat, but the more I learn about the elliptical PRT the more I'm not opposed to it. Apparently it's much more difficult than just elliptical-ing for a few minutes as it's based on how many calories you burn, which on the elliptical means keeping your heart rate at a high level for a period of time. I think I remember hearing it was designed for those who spend a lot of time on a ship/sub that might not have adequate space for working out.

And it makes sense in that case but by the same token, don't they have these things called treadmills? Now I'll probably hear about how running on a treadmill is so much different than running on the sidewalk and all I have to say is, WRONG!

Reading some of the posts on AW's makes me wonder, how did anyone make it through OCS before AW's and without all the gouge and now i'm wondering how the fleet managed to stay in shape before the advent of ellipticals.

BarrettRC8

VMFA
pilot
Caffeine. Pill or coffee form, it doesn't matter. Helps me get my 200lb, 5'9 frame across the finish line in about 19 minutes. Not too bad.

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
I would not think highly of a fellow JO and I definitely would have a poor opinion of some higher up the chain if they had to use an elliptical machine to pass their PRT. I really think the navy should take a tougher stance on physical fitness.

I can understand there are operational rigors that can hinder daily workouts schedules but I've seen many SNA's who are simply fat bodies. I don't think there is any reason at all to be out of shape while in flight school because there is PLENTY of time to keep yourself from looking like a bag of ass.

I'm normally a swimmer. I've done the eliptical the last two times. It's an ass kicker. I have to burn 250 calories in 12 minutes on that summabitch. I'm by no means a Slim Goodbody....but hardly a bag o' ass.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Caffeine. Pill or coffee form, it doesn't matter. Helps me get my 200lb, 5'9 frame across the finish line in about 19 minutes. Not too bad.
Caffeine makes me drastically run worse...burn out in the first 1/4 mile and feel like my heart's gonna explode. But I don't drink coffee often and abstain from soda, so yea.

BarrettRC8

VMFA
pilot
No way you're 200 elbows....

Stepped on the scale at Whiting's gym today and it read 199.5. I think thats probably up about 10lbs since we rode to Frederick - Though I have been lifting heavier so I'd imagine that has something to do with it.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Speaking of which, why the hell is Whiting's gym better than NAS Pensacola's?!

I take it you're talking about the new Radford gym. The API gym is still pretty solid.

It is because with a higher concentration of Navy personnel and less civilian/old-timers, we don't need that bullshit Nautilus equipment.

If you ask me, the Whiting gym is still lacking more of the most important pieces of equipment: More benches, more squat racks.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
that drives me nuts here at corpus. i've given up on weight lifting and just use the .75 mile "fitness trail" on the island to do pull ups and push ups outside to maintain strength since the gym blows so hard.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I haven't been to the Radford gym yet, but I've been to the API one and the Portside one. How does it compare? I've been pretty pleased so far, except for the fact that none have kettlebells for crossfit purposes, at least none that I've seen.

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
that drives me nuts here at corpus. i've given up on weight lifting and just use the .75 mile "fitness trail" on the island to do pull ups and push ups outside to maintain strength since the gym blows so hard.

Where is this trail?

lmnop

I would not think highly of a fellow JO and I definitely would have a poor opinion of some higher up the chain if they had to use an elliptical machine to pass their PRT. I really think the navy should take a tougher stance on physical fitness.

Last time I did the PRT on the bike I figured I'd smoke check it since I was riding 300+ miles a week and pretty easily riding under an hour for a 40K. I was mistaken. I had to kill myself to get an outstanding, and would have had to put out less on the run to get a similar score. I'm not sure what weird algorithms they use for the calorie to equivalent run time conversion, but I call bullshit.

As for the original question, Copenhagen and espresso.

MasterBates

As much as some may heckle it, those of us who have had surgeries and broken femurs do prefer the elliptical machine. To run enough to do well on the PRT gave me stress fractures in my feet, a busted ankle and knee problems. Granted the ankle was a pothole on base that I could not see, but still.

I can do as well on the eliptical, be in better shape, and not destroy my knees in the process.