• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

"Mother's Little [PRT] Helper?"

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I'm just trying to figure out why one needs to "push for that extra couple of seconds." My FITREP says "P/WS." It doesn't say "...ran the PRT in record-breaking time...promote to Olympic team immediately."

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
+1 on the pre-game dump. Takes a LOAD off your mind (pun intended) when you gotta push for that extra couple seconds.

Make sure to eat a carbohydrate rich meal the night before (at least 4 hours before if the day-of) the PRT. I find that when I try to run after eating a carb-lacking meal, that I am barely trudging along and puffing and blowing. After eating a carb-rich meal, even if "unhealthy", I am blowing along just fine and not hurting too bad.

Pre-game dump is very nice. However, you have to carb load for a 1.5 mile run?

utak

I always sneak in a power gel and take it and a few sips of water right after I'm done with the crunches and pushups. Gives an extra boost for the run.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
Fake lower back pain and get a waiver.

That would work except it's not the Academy. My roommate almost maxed the PRT for a second time, while coming off of a punctured lung (which he managed to re-injure during the run. And then there's me who runs hard everyday and (even though passed every PRT), never went below 10 min on the run. I'm with Master that some of us just aren't runners.

As for pregame tips, get a good night sleep and make sure you're plenty hydrated. Take a light jog before the actual run to help loosen up.

D_Rob

Lead LTJG
The Gunnie from back in my NROTC days told us of old school marines who would pour themselves a pint of Guinness the night before. They would let it sit out overnight so it became room temperature and lost all the carbonation (nitrogenation?). They would then chug it right beforehand. The alcohol would take the edge off a little but you wouldn't have the cold shock to your system and gas sitting in your stomach.

caeli

Well I'm part of the PFT side of the house, but heres my tip:

Take a dump BEFORE.

I'd agree with the pre-run dump.

But as far as the pre-run piss goes, some of my best runs have been when I've run on a full bladder. It's not very comfortable (and I probably wouldn't recommend it), but the need to take a massive piss is quite motivating during the run.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
I make sure I'm always hyrdrated for the week or a couple days before the PRT. I've always maxed the strenth portion and my run times have been pretty good (just ran an 8:49 on my last one). It might be a mental thing, but I figure being hydrated helps out. To do this, I just make sure I'm pissing clear every time I have to go and adjust as necessary.

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
For the run: Don't get sucked into the pace at the beginning. You want to go out a little hot, but don't follow the morons who go batshit crazy at the start. About 1200m into it the vast majority of them WILL shit the bed. Run your first 400m a little more briskly than your planned place, and then settle into the groove. Then when you are about 1000-800m from the finish, slowly start to notch it up by looking ahead and picking people off. Work from one runner to the next, just like a race.

Concentrate on keeping your head up---look ahead, not down. And keep those arms moving!

I second the pre-race dump.

I had a buddy who used to down a few scoops of NO-XPLODE before races. His hands would twitch when he'd get on the line. I wouldn't advise that though...

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
Let's put it this way, being dehydrated DOES NOT help. I like to do full sit-ups vice crunches in preparation and have always done well.

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
My roommate almost maxed the PRT for a second time, while coming off of a punctured lung (which he managed to re-injure during the run.

If that's the case, then why the hell was he even taking part in the event?

Hydrate the night before. Stretch out the night before. Eat a nice big light pasta. Save gatorade for afterwards. When I run it helps me to take obscenely deep breaths through my nose. For this reason I make sure I'm not congested at all.

Raptor2216

I'd agree with the pre-run dump.

But as far as the pre-run piss goes, some of my best runs have been when I've run on a full bladder. It's not very comfortable (and I probably wouldn't recommend it), but the need to take a massive piss is quite motivating during the run.

I can honestly say that is some of the worst pre-game advice I have EVER heard.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
If that's the case, then why the hell was he even taking part in the event?

He had already pushed it back far enough and time was running out and they thought he had healed completely (or at least enough to run).