• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

May 2010 Boards

twobecrazy

RTB...
Contributor
Also, does anyone know what the policy is on switching from SNFO to SNA? My recruiter told me to apply for both, and accept whatever one I get because I would get paid more while still in school under the BDCP. He said both positions go through the same training and you have the ability to switch from SNFO to SNA at some point, but he didn't really elaborate. That advice kinda goes against everything I've read on this website, everyone says put SNA and only SNA if you want to go pilot. Anyone know how to switch once you get accepted?

Yeah, all of this has been discussed a crap ton on this forum. Use the search function to find out more examples and more accurate information for yourself but I will try and answer from what I have read previously. You can either be the top of your class and offered to switch from NFO to NA (not written in stone so it still might not happen) or later down the road after you are completely qualified (typically after first sea tour) you can request a lat transfer. Once again though neither of these are a guarantee so you may never get the opportunity to be a NA after being an NFO. They do essentially the same training through API (I believe) after that they are on their individual tracks. It appears you OR is correct with their statements but it seems to me that he/she is basing that off of what they have talked to you about and what the best chance to give you a PRO REC would be. I think you do not understand what everyone is saying when the say if you want to be a pilot put NA and NA only. That is for people that do not want to be anything but a NA and would not be happy being a NFO or maybe they would be but want to see if they can get a shot at being NA. If this is you then that is what you should do. If you would be happy being a NA or NFO then put both. If you want to be an officer then put your top 3 as this should give you the best chance of receiving a PRO REC. The point is picking the job or jobs you will be the happiest doing. Plenty of people have put down 3 choices and been PRO REC for 3, 2, or just 1 of those choices. You need to decide what is best for you and nobody else can make that decision and base that decision on what you want to do the most i.e. NA, Flying, Officer, etc....

A

AlexSmart

Somebody asked me specifically what I heard about putting only 1390 on your application. To try and sum it up, I have seen a lot of applicants on earlier months that applied that applied for 1390 ONLY and got it.

I think we might be reading too much into this, however, yesterday I told me recruiter I would like to drop my third choice because it might send the boards the signal that I'm not that serious about being in the aviation community. I am also going to change my motivational statement to make mention of Naval Aviation. He agreed with me completely, so there must be SOME merit to putting only 1390/1370 on your application for commission.

On the off chance that having only 1390 sends a message to the boards that you really want to be a pilot, I do not see what harm it would do. If you're non-selected, you can always apply for another designator the very next month.

There have been Pro-Rec's from previous months that appear to have about average ASTB scores and GPA's that applied for SNA only. This might lead one to believe that the fact that they put that one designator (plus they probably tailored their motivational statement towards being a Naval Aviator) played a fairly significant role in their consideration.

I know that this application process is a "whole person" thing and I am not trying to insult any Pro-Rec's that got in with lower scores, and I'm definitely not trying to flame/cheap shot anyone (I've got nothing but congratulations for ya). Since all we have on these threads is everyone's grades and scores, we can only look at this quantitatively.

jlil41

I would agree with that statement AlexSmart, on the other hand, you could also argue that yea you might want want SNA as number one and NFO as number two but you also want to be an officer more than anything so it can't hurt to put SWO as your third. And maybe by doing this they see that overall you want to be an officer in the Navy not just a pilot and this is the best route to do it. Does the board see that you put SNA before NFO or does it just see that you are applying for that designation in general?

markkyle66

I applied for both SNA and SNFO in July 09 and managed to get picked up for both. SNA being my first choice. However when my Final select came around Oct. of last year it had 1370/NFO program written all over it. So while being as professional/curteous as possible, I rode my OR and Processor to get it changed to what I had stated as my listed preference, which even showed up in O-tools. Turned out there was an error in processing somewhere along the line. A week or two later I got a second FS letter for the 1390/Pilot Officer Program. Point being, make sure you indicate to your recruiter not once, but multiple times what your interests are. Also, be a professional/stand-up guy and they'll go out their way for you even when they don't have to.

"on the other hand, you could also argue that yea you might want want SNA as number one and NFO as number two but you also want to be an officer more than anything"

As far as applying SNA only to show that you are serious about Navair... I'd say hogwash. You either want to be part of the team or you don't.

jlil41

As far as applying SNA only to show that you are serious about Navair... I'd say hogwash. You either want to be part of the team or you don't.

That is what I was thinking! I would seriously doubt that they won't discriminate because of the designations you choose.

A

AlexSmart

Either way, I'm taking my third choice off my application. I'm unfamiliar with other communities, and the POSSIBILITY the designator choices will make a difference is a good enough reason for me.

At the end of the day I want to be a Naval Officer. But there is no reason to not give myself the absolute best shot possible to get into the community I want. If its not in the cards for be to be a NA/NFO, me and my OR will sit down and discuss another career path in the Navy.

jlil41

I wasn't trying to critique your decision I was more interested in discussing the topic. my apologies if I came off offensive.

nba1290

Thanks twobe, SNA it is. It's only my first go at it so no reason not to put all my eggs in the pilot basket I figure.

A

AlexSmart

I wasn't trying to critique your decision I was more interested in discussing the topic. my apologies if I came off offensive.

No worries mate. My second reason for taking Intel off as my third choice is because if I were to get non-selected by the aviation community, I would work on my packet and resubmit. So putting down another community would be a waste of their time, as I wouldn't accept a pro-rec from them as this point anyways.

Once again I am really not trying to insult other communities. I am sure there are people trying for other communities that have no interest in aviation.

nate_j52

I was told today that the april/may boards are the first for fiscal year 11, and that if pro recd, which should come out in the second week of may, i should expect to go to OCS in august at the earliest.... your thoughts...

twobecrazy

RTB...
Contributor
I was told today that the april/may boards are the first for fiscal year 11, and that if pro recd, which should come out in the second week of may, i should expect to go to OCS in august at the earliest.... your thoughts...

Nope, March was the first for fiscal year 11. The reason they didn't have a Feb board was because of the over manning for 2010. They are already classing up August so that seems possible but I would think it is more dependent on how much stuff you still have to complete for a final select if you are lucky enough for a Pro Rec. I have also heard of people still having quick turnovers from FS to OCS but had everything do before the Pro Rec and was able to go immediately to OCS. As I stated before the second week of May is rather quick for the boards to be giving results. It seems to me that the boards would meet around the second week of May and results come out near the end of the third or beginning of the fourth week from what I have observed from previous boards.

jlil41

So it's official, finally got my packet done and it's being put into the computers and I'll be seen in May. THis wait is going to destroy me I have no patience!!!!

nate_j52

Got my last meeting on tuesday, my OR's personal deadline is the 20th, still waiting on my LOR from my old CO. From what my OR said im in for the April boards, but i cant see how as the results will come out in may... again this is what im told

twobecrazy

RTB...
Contributor
Got my last meeting on tuesday, my OR's personal deadline is the 20th, still waiting on my LOR from my old CO. From what my OR said im in for the April boards, but i cant see how as the results will come out in may... again this is what im told

I don't see how you are going to be in the April boards if you are finishing your package on Tuesday April 20th. That is not going to happen. You will be in for the May boards if you finish your package by the 23rd. If this is the case you will probably have the results sometime late May early June at the latest.