• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Mast, NJP, and The Trouble Troops Can Get In...

yakboyslim

None
I have a Specialized Langster, not really a road bike in the traditional sense. Great for getting around campus. Besides that I have never been on a road bike that got me excited. They are all just meh.

What type of Trek/GF's?

Speaking of bikes, too bad noone on here is from OH area. I need to get a group together to go ride at Ray's indoor bike park.

Cleonard19

Contributor
PSW and I own mountain bikes (I have a Trek, she has a Gary Fischer), although we're looking at getting road bikes. Does anyone have any recommendations??

I really like my Jamis Satellite. Its a steel framed bike, which I chose due to the quality of the roads in Charleston, but it gets the job done.

GroundPounder

PSW and I own mountain bikes (I have a Trek, she has a Gary Fischer), although we're looking at getting road bikes. Does anyone have any recommendations??

I have Trek 5200, and would highly recommend it. If you can wait until April when the new models tend to come out there are great deals to be had. They can be had in double or triple with Shimano or Campy.

CalamityJean

I know which way the wind shines!
I have Trek 5200, and would highly recommend it. If you can wait until April when the new models tend to come out there are great deals to be had. They can be had in double or triple with Shimano or Campy.

I have a 1998 purple Kathy Ireland Huffy. It's roughly the size of a tricycle under me and the brakes squeal like a baby in a microwave. It feels like I'm rolling down a 10% grade over boulders when I'm actually on fresh paved road. Stylin & profilin :icon_smil.

yakboyslim

None
It's roughly the size of a tricycle under me and the brakes squeal like a baby in a microwave.
Me and my friends would get bikes like that and ride them down hills and into tress until they would no longer roll down hills at all. Oh, memories...

Actually, my brother is on leave this weekend, and despite the weather here in OH, we will be crashing Huffy's.

BackOrdered

Contributor
Since I don't see a topic else where I have a question for any legal officers. Have you ever heard of a sailor "appealing" have a mast on thier record? Seems farfetched, but I don't want to give a fast no without asking around.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
You mean appealing the mast itself? Yes. They can. Not sure I understood your question, though.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
You can appeal the punishment to the next higher command, but you cannot appeal the NJP itself.

Having said that, the commander of the Marine can remove it if he wants to. I've only seen this once.

Generally speaking you plead guilty at NJP, so even if you could appeal it, you'd look pretty stupid doing it after pleading guilty.

BackOrdered

Contributor
You can appeal the punishment to the next higher command, but you cannot appeal the NJP itself.

Having said that, the commander of the Marine can remove it if he wants to. I've only seen this once.

Generally speaking you plead guilty at NJP, so even if you could appeal it, you'd look pretty stupid doing it after pleading guilty.

Exactly the answer I was looking for.

Thanks.

It's a shame though.

Basically, I had an outstanding sailor make a mistake. My tour is rounding up and I'm heading out to shore duty, but one thing I was looking forward to doing was helping this sailor get into OCS. Looks pretty impossible now, eh?

"Don't do the crime if you can't do the time."

To contribute to the topic, I was reading someone say Officers get off easy. I don't know about that.

I've seen 6 or so officers get in major trouble for various reasons during my current tour, some minor that I still question and some were just atrocious. Although the CO can only do so much to an officer afloat per UCMJ (30 days and a LoR), his recommendation he then sends to his boss is the stinger. All 6 of the officers I'm referring to are all no longer Officers, even in the minor cases. A few have to even pay back their commissioning source for tuition. Meanwhile, the enlisted members involved in their cases and found guilty are still in the fleet. The Navy takes blackeyes to its Officer Corps seriously.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
I've had three lieutenants thrown out of the Marine Corps.

One each Honorable (incompetent, but not a criminal), General under honorable (minor criminal but honest about it), and OTH (criminal and compulsive liar).

It's not a pretty or pleasant process, but I'd say it's fair overall, at least at the company grade level.

I've also been standing there with them at Commanding General's NJP, which isn't fun if you're the guy getting crushed. One of my lieutenants went TWICE. Same CG.

In the Marine Corps officers go to NJP at the flag level, but I've seen Navy commands do it at the squadron level. It would be much easier (if probably less spectacular) that way.

If you go to NJP as as officer, you are DONE. Expect a BOI, and even if you are retained (unlikely), you'll never be promoted, much less selected for anything cool ever again.

IMHO, NJPs above the company grade level are too soft. It's basically a humiliating smack on the wrist and an offer to retire.

We've had some pathetic behavior by some senior officers lately that has been (seemingly) very lightly punished. This leads the troops to believe that there's a double standard.

There SHOULD be a double standard. Ours should be higher.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Since I don't see a topic else where I have a question for any legal officers. Have you ever heard of a sailor "appealing" have a mast on thier record? Seems farfetched, but I don't want to give a fast no without asking around.
A sailor can appeal NJP to the General Court-Martial Convening Authority in their chain of command. Generally, this is the Region Commander unless another flag in the chain of command (like the strike group commander) directs that it be sent to them. I'm not sure how the Admirals and JAGs figure that choice out. There are only two valid grounds for appeal. Either the punishment was unjust (didn't fit the deed) or was disproportionate (didn't fit what others got). The appeal has to be in writing, with CO's written endorsement. The rule of thumb is that appeals must be filed within 5 working days, or else the GCMCA is within their rights to reject it as not timely. If the 5 days cannot be met, the accused has to make a written request for an extension with their CO.

Now you've gone and made me put on my Legal O hat on the weekend with nobody in trouble. Curse you. :)

BackOrdered

Contributor
A sailor can appeal NJP to the General Court-Martial Convening Authority in their chain of command. Generally, this is the Region Commander unless another flag in the chain of command (like the strike group commander) directs that it be sent to them. I'm not sure how the Admirals and JAGs figure that choice out. There are only two valid grounds for appeal. Either the punishment was unjust (didn't fit the deed) or was disproportionate (didn't fit what others got). The appeal has to be in writing, with CO's written endorsement. The rule of thumb is that appeals must be filed within 5 working days, or else the GCMCA is within their rights to reject it as not timely. If the 5 days cannot be met, the accused has to make a written request for an extension with their CO.

This sailor doesn't want the NJP to even exist at all in their record, like a waiver or something? Professionally, I wouldn't want to remove the NJP because the CO was in his rights to do it, but I didn't want to give a fast "no" answer to my blueshirt since I'm no expert. I asked our Legal Officer, another Legal Officer, my Department Head, the YNs, read up on the UCMJ and other cases and even asked here. I think it's unamious. I was going to ask the CO directly, but my thinking is the sailor in question got off pretty good and the CO didn't have to make that call. He still has a job to do. Going after him to do more is ungratious and a mistake.

phrogpilot73

If you go to NJP as as officer, you are DONE. Expect a BOI, and even if you are retained (unlikely), you'll never be promoted, much less selected for anything cool ever again.
As usual, I'm the guy that can point out there's an exception to every rule. On my last deployment on Active Duty, I was the only pilot in the battalion that DIDN'T get NJP'd. One guy got a NPLOC, the other guy got a Punitive Letter of Reprimand. Both of them were Captains, and they've both been promoted to Major.