• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Mast, NJP, and The Trouble Troops Can Get In...

FlyinSpy

Mongo only pawn, in game of life...
Contributor
Great thread over on SOCNET regarding the interesting things troops have done to rate Article 15s or Captain's Mast. The stories make some pretty good scenarios for "What if I was the DivO / DH / XO / CO in that situation?" Some of them are grim, some are pretty funny!

http://www.socnet.com/showthread.php?t=90874

As has been noted here before, post with care over on SOCNET - they don't tolerate a lot of BS...

As a sidenote, O's can get in just as much trouble as E's, so don't take the title of the thread wrong! :)

navy09

None
Funny thread. I skimmed it but didn't see too much on the O vs E going to Mast topic- an interesting discussion for sure. I don't have any real firsthand experience seeing O's go to Mast but I certainly believe it's easier on us...

brownshoe

Contributor
Great post! I had a few good laughs reading the stories. +1

I actually had an XO's Mast, what a joke. Everyone was cracking a smile, including the XO, except for the useless Chief who had placed me on report. By the 'letter of the law' the Chief was right, but it was a crock of shit. You need to understand that in my day a person could stay in the service, no matter how useless they might have been, they were just placed in jobs where they could do the least damage.

We were in Yuma on a det and a sandstorm came up that canceled all flight operations. A few buddies and I took this rare opportunity and headed to Mexicali for the day. The Chief of the det put me on report because I had the duty. Duty? What duty? Op's had been canceled! Funny thing... I was the only Sailor to be placed on report, we ALL had the duty. Now I'm not going to go into the history this Chief and I had, I'll just say he took this opportunity to try and get even. (Asshole that he was.)

Anyway... the report chit made its way from Yuma to Cecil Field, where it promptly got lost in the mail room for weeks and weeks. Finally it was delivered to my division office where it again became lost for weeks and weeks. The Chief, meanwhile was coming unglued. Why the wait? Finally I get a call from the XO asking me to come up and see him. (The day before the Mast.) He and I had known each other for a few years, very good relationship. Anyway he explained that he had to do this Mast. We chatted a while, talked about a few old good times and I left his office. The next day I stood Mast. My punishment... I had to sweep the hangar deck one time. BTW, the chit had been buried for months. The Chief had steam coming out of his ears.

Moral of the story: Do your job well and be a good Sailor. Shit happens for ya!:D

Steve

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
When I was in rotc, my whole senior class got to stand in on a senior OC/STA-21's mast. It was certainly painful for him, and us as well. I think his story would fit under this category

BigRed389

None
Funny thread. I skimmed it but didn't see too much on the O vs E going to Mast topic- an interesting discussion for sure. I don't have any real firsthand experience seeing O's go to Mast but I certainly believe it's easier on us...

Personally saw atermath of an incident with a O-1 about to put on O-2, and an otherwise outstanding E-5.

The O-1 got a punitive letter of reprimand. E-5 got busted down, 45/45 and half month pay 2x.

CO had suspicion they were making the beast with two backs. Entire ship at the O-2 and below level "knew" it. Only evidence was overly familiar emails (nothing licentious, just overly familiar) and photographs of them in larger groups on liberty.

That female O-1 did a lot to damage the officer corps reputation as a result of her behavior.

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
A recent study by the University of British Columbia showed that an environment with more of the color red leads to higher productivity, while a blue environment leads to more 'creative output' from people.

I think anyone who had to attend a Captain's Mast and listen to some of the 'fables' told by some of the blue shirts would agree that creative output may in fact be stimulated by the color blue!!

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2009-02/uobc-cbb020409.php

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
I once saw a pair of aircrew wings yanked off a sailor's chest and hurled across the hangar with a very loud "YOU DON'T DESERVE THESE" coming from the skipper.

blackbart22

pilot
The Captain held mast on the way back to Yankee Station after a port call at Cubi Pt. I was there with my chief since several of my guys (Bow Cats) had been written up. The Captain would say " Fighting with the shore patrol. Twenty days restriction." After a couple of these, it dawned on me that we were all "restricted" to the ship for at least thirty days since we'd be on Yankee Station that long.

Derf

;)
Great post! I had a few good laughs reading the stories. +1

I actually had an XO's Mast, what a joke. Everyone was cracking a smile, including the XO, except for the useless Chief who had placed me on report. By the 'letter of the law' the Chief was right, but it was a crock of shit. You need to understand that in my day a person could stay in the service, no matter how useless they might have been, they were just placed in jobs where they could do the least damage.

We were in Yuma on a det and a sandstorm came up that canceled all flight operations. A few buddies and I took this rare opportunity and headed to Mexicali for the day. The Chief of the det put me on report because I had the duty. Duty? What duty? Op's had been canceled! Funny thing... I was the only Sailor to be placed on report, we ALL had the duty. Now I'm not going to go into the history this Chief and I had, I'll just say he took this opportunity to try and get even. (Asshole that he was.)

Anyway... the report chit made its way from Yuma to Cecil Field, where it promptly got lost in the mail room for weeks and weeks. Finally it was delivered to my division office where it again became lost for weeks and weeks. The Chief, meanwhile was coming unglued. Why the wait? Finally I get a call from the XO asking me to come up and see him. (The day before the Mast.) He and I had known each other for a few years, very good relationship. Anyway he explained that he had to do this Mast. We chatted a while, talked about a few old good times and I left his office. The next day I stood Mast. My punishment... I had to sweep the hangar deck one time. BTW, the chit had been buried for months. The Chief had steam coming out of his ears.

Moral of the story: Do your job well and be a good Sailor. Shit happens for ya!:D

Steve
Dang Steve, I didn't realilize you were such a shitbird in VA 44.
Now take me for instance, I was a 4-0 sailor...;)

Flugelman

Contributor
Not really a NJP episode but amusing/sad nevertheless...

When I was Leading Chief at AIMD, NAS CC, we had a situation where a young Airman's wife got into big trouble. Seems that she was sick and tired of taking their clothes to the laundromat and had been saving her nickles and dimes to buy a washer/dryer for their home. Young Airman discovers her stash and buys a CB radio for his pickup. She finds the radio while he is at work, comes to the hangar, and STABS him with the antenna. :eek:

Of course, it was felony assualt and we had to call Base Security on her, but I always felt a little sorry for her. The asshole survived the stabbing and was back at work in a few days. I had little use for him after that.

Boomhower

Shoot, man, it's that dang ol' internet
None
This story was heard second hand, so take it for what it's worth:

Connie, 2003 Gulf Cruise: Two (male) sailors are going at it in the catapult spaces and get caught by a Chief, PO, superior, whatever. One guy is going down on the other. Neat, huh?

Anyway, both sailors go to see the Big XO. In XO's mast the XO asks one of them, "So, how long have you been gay?" Answer: "Gay? What do you mean gay? He was sucking MY dick." XO immediately orders an about face, and tells them to go outside and wait in the p-way. As soon as the door shuts, everyone in the room hits the floor laughing.

Don't know if it's true, but it made it's way around the Connie pretty quick from what I heard and supposedly the Big XO confirmed it.

brownshoe

Contributor
;)
Dang Steve, I didn't realilize you were such a shitbird in VA 44.
Now take me for instance, I was a 4-0 sailor...;)

I would have thought you would have remembered when this happened... it was a big joke in the squadron.:) Butch Edwards was involved, can't remember the rest of the guys that went, but none of them were put on report, only me. C'mon ... our Yuma dets were a different world.:D I was 'short' when this happened too, only about a month left.

Remember when I was TAD on CFAD security patrol with Hank Wondowski? The two of us did a little ‘creative’ scheduling of our work time. As you’ll remember the CFAD teams basically spent their watch patrolling the line areas, all of the base hangars and the out buildings. We worked alone and just radioed in every hour on the hour to our duty office. The duty office never saw us the entire watch. Anyway Hank said one evening “Hey, why do they need two of us in this truck?”:D Walt (“Corkyboy” here at AW) remembers, he and I had a good chuckle a few months back. Nothing ever came of this either. Just a stern lecture that turned into a laugh fest because neither of us could keep a straight face.

BTW...You a 4.0 Sailor?;)

Steve