• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

March 23 AMDO board

Gizmo85

You too!! I’m surprised there isn’t more activity in this thread.
There was around the March time frame. Two people made it for the AEDO/AMDO board in March/2023. A few were on their last look and couldn't apply due to TIS. Others looked into Supply and Intel to see if there was a better shot getting commissioned that way.

There was around the March time frame. Two people made it for the AEDO/AMDO board in March/2023. A few were on their last look and couldn't apply due to TIS. Others looked into Supply and Intel to see if there was a better shot getting commissioned that way.
I noticed that, they selected 15 fleet applicants last year

Good luck to you all. First time applying.

Branch: Air Force
AFSC(rate): Maintenance Manager (9 TIS on Fighters/Heavies/Drones/Helicopters/ICBMs)
GPA: 3.82
OAR: 47(will most likely hurt the most)

Good luck to you all. First time applying.

Branch: Air Force
AFSC(rate): Maintenance Manager (9 TIS on Fighters/Heavies/Drones/Helicopters/ICBMs)
GPA: 3.82
OAR: 47(will most likely hurt the most)
I have done a little digging and what I have come up with is a few factors that seem to hold weight.

The way you write up your statements is one, essentially speaking to the board, you’re giving them the readers digest of who you are.

How did you get appraisals if you don’t mind me asking.

I have done a little digging and what I have come up with is a few factors that seem to hold weight.

The way you write up your statements is one, essentially speaking to the board, you’re giving them the readers digest of who you are.

How did you get appraisals if you don’t mind me asking.
When you say appraisals do you mean Letter of Recommendation or how I was rated? I am still active duty so I didn’t get an appraisal. I sat down with the OR and they went over my resume and decided I was highly qualified for AMDO.

For my Letter of Recommendation I got two O6s, my E9 mentor and my E7 boss. I am a E6 for reference .

When you say appraisals do you mean Letter of Recommendation or how I was rated? I am still active duty so I didn’t get an appraisal. I sat down with the OR and they went over my resume and decided I was highly qualified for AMDO.

For my Letter of Recommendation I got two O6s, my E9 mentor and my E7 boss. I am a E6 for reference .
So, appraisals are essentially interviews by Officers from the community you wish to apply for. They use form NAVCRUIT 1131/5. For example, I took my OCS package to an AMDO, and had a sit down with them. They went over pipeline stuff, duties, and other pertinent information. After the interview I would send them over an interviewer’s appraisal sheet, pre-filled,so they could make their changes and sign it.

They grade you on certain characteristics and then use the comments to speak to the grades given. These are also separate from LORs.

So, appraisals are essentially interviews by Officers from the community you wish to apply for. They use form NAVCRUIT 1131/5. For example, I took my OCS package to an AMDO, and had a sit down with them. They went over pipeline stuff, duties, and other pertinent information. After the interview I would send them over an interviewer’s appraisal sheet, pre-filled,so they could make their changes and sign it.

They grade you on certain characteristics and then use the comments to speak to the grades given. These are also separate from LORs.
Oh okay, I do not believe I have to do this since I am not in the Navy. My OR never brought it up. This is something I’ll ask them about on Monday. I know my package made the board and I do know my package with my resume had to be vetted. But as fas as I know I did not do an appraisal.

Oh okay, I do not believe I have to do this since I am not in the Navy. My OR never brought it up. This is something I’ll ask them about on Monday. I know my package made the board and I do know my package with my resume had to be vetted. But as fas as I know I did not do an appraisal
Thank you for the response.
That’s pretty awesome!! One of the more difficult tasks during the time I was putting together my OCS package was finding interviews, and essentially cold calling secretary’s asking for some time to sit down.

Now, a lot of Senior AMDOS have told me that it is a right of passage, shows you really want it. I, like many others applying that are AD Navy, have to find the time to schedule and get to these interviews while still fulfilling our duties.

I’m curious as to how many people are applying this time around. I saw some that were not selected for FY23 got selected for SWO or other designators.

Gizmo85

That’s pretty awesome!! One of the more difficult tasks during the time I was putting together my OCS package was finding interviews, and essentially cold calling secretary’s asking for some time to sit down.

Now, a lot of Senior AMDOS have told me that it is a right of passage, shows you really want it. I, like many others applying that are AD Navy, have to find the time to schedule and get to these interviews while still fulfilling our duties.

I’m curious as to how many people are applying this time around. I saw some that were not selected for FY23 got selected for SWO or other designators.
I would say a lot for both AD and SELRES for AMDO. Many people miss the last board, some are officers crossing over from pilots to AMDOs, some are NAVAIR Engineers...etc. I feel you have a great chance at selection.

I would say a lot for both AD and SELRES for AMDO. Many people miss the last board, some are officers crossing over from pilots to AMDOs, some are NAVAIR Engineers...etc. I feel you have a great chance at selection.
I’m confident but I am also preparing for not being selected. If I do not get selected I will be PCSing and then rolling into work ups for an upcoming deployment. I think this year is going to have a lot of spots open, based on retention that is. Retention is so bad right now, I have a combined total of atleast 10 sailors in my shop alone that have gotten out.

Gizmo85

I’m confident but I am also preparing for not being selected. If I do not get selected I will be PCSing and then rolling into work ups for an upcoming deployment. I think this year is going to have a lot of spots open, based on retention that is. Retention is so bad right now, I have a combined total of atleast 10 sailors in my shop alone that have gotten out.
Yes, retention has been an issue on both the Active and Selres side of the Navy. Even the numbers for Officers are low. People are leaving and slots need to be filled. I believe to boost the numbers. Get rid of OCS/ ODS for prior service Sailors. Just build a Officers PQS and have Sailors get sign offs by officers in their unit. We don't need to learn how to march again, we know the 11 general orders, rank structure...etc. The Navy will save so much money on doing local officer training. Like do it like they do CPO selects.