• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

March 23 AMDO board

I did notice some people had masters degrees and did not get selected. In cases like that it makes you wonder. At the same time, appraisals and personal statements may have been a factor. I do believe that it comes down to background in actual maintenance when it comes to AD. You can have 2 people, one a masters and the other a BA for educational backgrounds, but one is an Admin rate and the other is a technician. I’m betting someone with knowledge of aircraft maintenance and understanding of the NAMP is a preferred candidate.
You'll be fine, when I was on active duty I've seen people get picked up for OCS a month shy of heading to a new command. They might just extend you at your current command since you'll be going to OCS. Your selection will be in the system since your AD. Let's say you do still transfer in December, you'll just conduct business as normal until you ship out to OCS. I understand the waiting around for feedback, but that's the Military as a whole. Worse case you do get selected, just keep applying. I was just happy my package made it the AMDO SELRES Board. It shows you met all the qualifications. These programs are very completive. One guy had a PhD in Engineering and wasn't selected.

Gizmo85

I did notice some people had masters degrees and did not get selected. In cases like that it makes you wonder. At the same time, appraisals and personal statements may have been a factor. I do believe that it comes down to background in actual maintenance when it comes to AD. You can have 2 people, one a masters and the other a BA for educational backgrounds, but one is an Admin rate and the other is a technician. I’m betting someone with knowledge of aircraft maintenance and understanding of the NAMP is a preferred candidate.
Spot on, I've seen people who apply as an AZ or LS and not get selected. As we both know, nether of those rates actually do maintenance. The biggest key is actual maintenance background or civilian experience in leading maintenance. A person can have a 4.0 in a high level degree but have no idea of MRCs., NATOPs, IETMs, or anything. I personally don't care how smart a person is, can they actual do the job at hand? Can they lead aircraft maintenance. Most write their "Pick Me Speech" as a check off list vs telling the community who they are. Remember the Navy is changing and new leaders need to know what is needed. Your job as a new OIC is seeing what your people need and how well you can make an impact. Think about the leadership you want. You don't care about their college GPA or awards. You more concern about their ability to lead in a squadron and go to bat for you when needed.

Last edited:
Spot on, I've seen people who apply as an AZ or LS and not get selected. As we both know, nether of those rates actually do maintenance. The biggest key is actual maintenance background or civilian experience in leading maintenance. A person can have a 4.0 in a high level degree but have no idea of MRCs., NATOPs, IETMs, or anything. I personally don't care how smart a person is, can they actual do the job at hand? Can they lead aircraft maintenance. Most write their "Pick Me Speech" as a check off list vs telling the community who they are. Remember the Navy is changing and new leaders need to know what is needed. Your job as a new OIC is seeing what your people need and how well you can make an impact. Think about the leadership you want. You don't care about their college GPA or awards. You more concern about their ability to lead in a squadron and go to bat for you when needed.
Yea, i fortunately have remained on the same platform for 6 years and I have done almost everything. I even went as far as being on the RAG DEMO team, doing shows all across the US. It was honestly a fun time. I will say if I do pick up I’m going to miss being a PC and turning, it’s fun to do and teach as well.

I hope so, would give me a better chance, I’ve been managing aircraft maintenance in the Air Force since I had no strips (E1). Also I have a business degree so I am really crossing my fingers and hope experience counts for a lot more than my OAR and age!

I hope so, would give me a better chance, I’ve been managing aircraft maintenance in the Air Force since I had no strips (E1). Also I have a business degree so I am really crossing my fingers and hope experience counts for a lot more than my OAR and age!
As far as I know, at every interview I have sat through they really focused on talking about management and equal opportunity. I got a 47 on my OAR, but held a 3.8 GPA, graduating with honors in Aeronautical Science.

As far as I know, at every interview I have sat through they really focused on talking about management and equal opportunity. I got a 47 on my OAR, but held a 3.8 GPA, graduating with honors in Aeronautical Science.
Seems like we are the same boot, 47 OAR, 3.82 and honors for Management and Technology (project management degree). Im going to apply back and forth between Navy and the Air Force until one picks me up.

Yea, the only other thing I can think of is how the members are feeling. I looked at the past 2 cycle selections and it looked like some people did not reapply in march after not getting selected.

Gizmo85

Seems like we are the same boot, 47 OAR, 3.82 and honors for Management and Technology (project management degree). Im going to apply back and forth between Navy and the Air Force until one picks me up.
But do you have your CCAF and completed NCOA lol? I'm joking, but i thought about OTS back when I was still in the ANG. I just don't feel like going to another boot camp for 3 months.

But do you have your CCAF and completed NCOA lol? I'm joking, but i thought about OTS back when I was still in the ANG. I just don't feel like going to another boot camp for 3 months.
I’m really looking forward to another boot camp for 3 months. It would probably be kinda stressful, but anything is better than the OPTEMPO of F18 squadrons. I have been on shore duty for 3 years and it feels like I’m always in work ups.

Gizmo85

I’m really looking forward to another boot camp for 3 months. It would probably be kinda stressful, but anything is better than the OPTEMPO of F18 squadrons. I have been on shore duty for 3 years and it feels like I’m always in work ups.
I came in on F-18s, i can't do a RAG Squadron. I was happy to be on seas duty. Fallon and Boat Dets were cool. If i wasn't working at Lockheed and a few years younger (10 years younger) lol, I wouldn't mind OCS.

Yes and yes lol. I am happy we are moving away from education on enlisted performance reports, always thought it was dumb to punish people for not getting education when that was supposed to be a pro of enlisting. Good job security, clear promotion path without having to go to school.

Gizmo85

Yes and yes lol. I am happy we are moving away from education on enlisted performance reports, always thought it was dumb to punish people for not getting education when that was supposed to be a pro of enlisting. Good job security, clear promotion path without having to go to school.
I concur, I know education is great to have but a degree doesn't make you a good 5 or 7 Level. It the same thing with making volunteering a requirement. Sure it looks nice, but how is going to a Soup Kitchen getting the down aircraft ready for the first go lol? Most only Volunteer because they have to not because they care. That never set right with me, help the community out because you want to make a difference.

JTtheBard

Did anyone start a new group for September submissions? Couldn't find any.
First time apply myself! below is my info for the upcoming AMDO board.

Branch: Air Force
AFSC: Equal Opportunity (Prior Cyber)
Undergrad GPA: BS HRM 3.49
OAR: 53

Last edited:

Gizmo85

Did anyone start a new group for September submissions? Couldn't find any.
First time apply myself! below is my info.

Branch: Air Force
AFSC: Equal Opportunity (Prior Cyber)
Undergrad GPA: BS HRM 3.49
OAR: 53
What officer program are you looking to apply this? This is page for Aircraft Maint Officer applicants.

JTtheBard

What officer program are you looking to apply this? This is page for Aircraft Maint Officer applicants.
I put in for AMDO. My package went up before the 15 Sep cutoff. I saw some members posting they also submitted for the upcoming board as well in this thread and decided to post as well.