• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

March 23 AMDO board

Yes, retention has been an issue on both the Active and Selres side of the Navy. Even the numbers for Officers are low. People are leaving and slots need to be filled. I believe to boost the numbers. Get rid of OCS/ ODS for prior service Sailors. Just build a Officers PQS and have Sailors get sign offs by officers in their unit. We don't need to learn how to march again, we know the 11 general orders, rank structure...etc. The Navy will save so much money on doing local officer training. Like do it like they do CPO selects.
I see what you’re saying, but personally I haven’t been to OCS/ODS so I can’t speak to its effectiveness. What I will say is prior service members play a huge role in OCS. The fact that we already know what to do and how to do it is going to further serve the purpose of training civilians.

Yes, we did everything already, but the one thing Officers tend to miss is leaning on their enlisted folks. That is something only experience can teach and unfortunately, you have some individuals that look down on enlisted. You’re essentially a fly on the wall at that point, but in a position where you can correct stuff like that.

Jexpertise

I submitted my package and called and they verified they received my package on the 13th. I never got any sort of confirmation email though. I’ll shoot another call tomorrow since I have been stressing.

exNavyOffRec

some are officers crossing over from pilots to AMDOs, some are NAVAIR Engineers...etc. I feel you have a great chance at selection.
This board and the numbers allocated are only for those applying via OCS, those doing a lateral transfer are a different pool of numbers and different process.

exNavyOffRec

I’m confident but I am also preparing for not being selected. If I do not get selected I will be PCSing and then rolling into work ups for an upcoming deployment. I think this year is going to have a lot of spots open, based on retention that is. Retention is so bad right now, I have a combined total of atleast 10 sailors in my shop alone that have gotten out.
Prior to someone getting out they should look at how much they need to maintain their standard of living, the expenses they are going to get hit with they don't have in the military, what job they are wanting to do and what that job will pay.

I am now a professional recruiter and go to the military career fairs, talk to those getting out and most are woefully unprepared to get out, I have friends that are tech recruiters and getting hundreds of applicants in just 24 hours for 1 opening, I handle some positions that are entry level and will get 10 highly qualified people in a few hours. I am seeing people that are way overqualified applying to roles to just get their foot in the door. I get multiple LinkedIn messages a day asking to help get a first round interview and in the past that didn't happen.

Those sailors you know should be going to career fairs and asking companies they are interested in how many applications per opening they are getting, what the pay is, what healthcare will cost, etc... That will help them prepare to get out so they don't get shocked and don't end up in a bad place. No one thinks when they are getting ready to get out that they are going to end up homeless or sleeping on friends couches, but it is happening.
Yes, retention has been an issue on both the Active and Selres side of the Navy. Even the numbers for Officers are low. People are leaving and slots need to be filled. I believe to boost the numbers. Get rid of OCS/ ODS for prior service Sailors. Just build a Officers PQS and have Sailors get sign offs by officers in their unit. We don't need to learn how to march again, we know the 11 general orders, rank structure...etc. The Navy will save so much money on doing local officer training. Like do it like they do CPO selects.

The USN doesn't need everyone to stay, for both officers and enlisted. I remember something one of the nuke officers I worked with told me. Our DH was pushing for the JO's to talk to their detailer and get orders to stay in, the detailer was on our ship and he walked into the office and after some chit chat the detailer said he only had one place he could send him, the LT said he was considering getting out and the detailer said that wasn't a problem as they had already met the quotas of officers for his YG. The funny thing is after this the DH was still pushing saying "they need you officers to stay" and there articles saying how nuke officer retention wasn't good. It seems there is what is put out publicly and what those back at Millington know. The LT did stay and then did a lat transfer to nuke LDO.

I always found it interesting how they say retention is bad yet at the same time push those out in those same designators by 2 x FOS.

Prior to someone getting out they should look at how much they need to maintain their standard of living, the expenses they are going to get hit with they don't have in the military, what job they are wanting to do and what that job will pay.

I am now a professional recruiter and go to the military career fairs, talk to those getting out and most are woefully unprepared to get out, I have friends that are tech recruiters and getting hundreds of applicants in just 24 hours for 1 opening, I handle some positions that are entry level and will get 10 highly qualified people in a few hours. I am seeing people that are way overqualified applying to roles to just get their foot in the door. I get multiple LinkedIn messages a day asking to help get a first round interview and in the past that didn't happen.

Those sailors you know should be going to career fairs and asking companies they are interested in how many applications per opening they are getting, what the pay is, what healthcare will cost, etc... That will help them prepare to get out so they don't get shocked and don't end up in a bad place. No one thinks when they are getting ready to get out that they are going to end up homeless or sleeping on friends couches, but it is happening.

The USN doesn't need everyone to stay, for both officers and enlisted. I remember something one of the nuke officers I worked with told me. Our DH was pushing for the JO's to talk to their detailer and get orders to stay in, the detailer was on our ship and he walked into the office and after some chit chat the detailer said he only had one place he could send him, the LT said he was considering getting out and the detailer said that wasn't a problem as they had already met the quotas of officers for his YG. The funny thing is after this the DH was still pushing saying "they need you officers to stay" and there articles saying how nuke officer retention wasn't good. It seems there is what is put out publicly and what those back at Millington know. The LT did stay and then did a lat transfer to nuke LDO.

I always found it interesting how they say retention is bad yet at the same time push those out in those same designators by 2 x FOS.
Wow, that’s really good to know. I wish it was all a little more transparent the because I see people jumping ship just because they’re taking this retention issue as a red flag.

Gizmo85

I agree 100%, I used to tell people to work on a possible back up plan just in case they decided not to stay in. I remember the PTS and ERB days when Sailors and Senior Sailors were getting pretty much forced out due to over manning issues. Key reason it's good to go to college while in, get every free cert possible and network. Retention wise I can only go off what I've seen. Big Navy is saying one thing and local commands are coming from a different direction. News wise numbers are low and weren't hitting the mark. Which is why it's odd when I see people who want to stay in but can't due to some issues that admin dropped the ball on. I seen some who want to get out due to low advancement rates or not able to get certain orders that will enhance their career. I've been working with SELRES Enlisted and Officers who are about to leave active duty land careers at Lockheed and Northrop Grumman. I tell them what they need and the benefits. I understand it's a hard choice when most think about leaving active duty, but like you said people have to put in the work for the just in case situations.

exNavyOffRec

Wow, that’s really good to know. I wish it was all a little more transparent the because I see people jumping ship just because they’re taking this retention issue as a red flag.
Usually if companies have low hiring or not doing well on the hiring side is they have been letting recruiters go, I know so many fellow recruiters that have been laid off/out of work for up to 9 months.
I agree 100%, I used to tell people to work on a possible back up plan just in case they decided not to stay in. I remember the PTS and ERB days when Sailors and Senior Sailors were getting pretty much forced out due to over manning issues. Key reason it's good to go to college while in, get every free cert possible and network. Retention wise I can only go off what I've seen. Big Navy is saying one thing and local commands are coming from a different direction. News wise numbers are low and weren't hitting the mark. Which is why it's odd when I see people who want to stay in but can't due to some issues that admin dropped the ball on. I seen some who want to get out due to low advancement rates or not able to get certain orders that will enhance their career. I've been working with SELRES Enlisted and Officers who are about to leave active duty land careers at Lockheed and Northrop Grumman. I tell them what they need and the benefits. I understand it's a hard choice when most think about leaving active duty, but like you said people have to put in the work for the just in case situations.
Some get lucky, especially if they have some connections. I know many who landed good jobs and then ended up getting laid off some are now dipping into their 401k's to pay bills. When I retired I had a years worth of mortgage payments set aside and no balance on my credit cards, I am not there now but my other bills are lower. I see many getting new cars, taking frequent trips and not saving that makes me nervous for them, you never know when you will get an invite for a zoom meeting and find out you are laid off.

Good morning everyone, just wanted to touch base and see how everyone is feeling about this board. Definitely feeling a little anxious, wondering how many applications were put in for this cycle.

Good morning everyone, just wanted to touch base and see how everyone is feeling about this board. Definitely feeling a little anxious, wondering how many applications were put in for this cycle.
Nope, either you made it or you didn’t. I think im numb to this at this point, even if this is my first Navy board. At this point just enjoy a hobby and welcome the holiday season to take your mind of this stuff.

Last edited:

Gizmo85

Nope, either you made it or you didn’t. I think im numb to this at this point, even if this us my fast Navy board. At this point just enjoy a hobby and welcome the holiday season to take your mind of this stuff.
I concur, I told someone else the same. Can't really put to much focus on just the outcome of theses boards. It's either we get selected or not. For us on the Reserve side, the vast majority of us our Senior Engineers, Managers at major aircraft corporations or high level contractors. Like, we still have our civilian careers.

Yea, the wait is pretty lame, but hope it works out for everyone. I’m supposed to transfer to another command in December, and results will have been put well before then. Last year, they selected a lot of AD the first cycle and the second cycle selected a lot of CIV. I’m hoping it’s the same this year. I hope they put out a list like they did in the prior year.

Gizmo85

Yea, the wait is pretty lame, but hope it works out for everyone. I’m supposed to transfer to another command in December, and results will have been put well before then. Last year, they selected a lot of AD the first cycle and the second cycle selected a lot of CIV. I’m hoping it’s the same this year. I hope they put out a list like they did in the prior year.
You'll be fine, when I was on active duty I've seen people get picked up for OCS a month shy of heading to a new command. They might just extend you at your current command since you'll be going to OCS. Your selection will be in the system since your AD. Let's say you do still transfer in December, you'll just conduct business as normal until you ship out to OCS. I understand the waiting around for feedback, but that's the Military as a whole. Worse case you do get selected, just keep applying. I was just happy my package made it the AMDO SELRES Board. It shows you met all the qualifications. These programs are very completive. One guy had a PhD in Engineering and wasn't selected.