• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Jet questions

The Gooch

FOD Eater
pilot
Dave, Dave, Dave...of all people to tell me that YOU work for a living. Come on man, we know what you do when you go to work...and I'll enlighten.

0900--Wake up (thank God its not the early brief!)
1100--Roll into the squadron
1101--Caffeine by injection
1130--Complain about the head office policy
1300--Lunch (man, I'm hungry!)
1400--Complain some more. Comment "at least we aren't still in VT-7"
1500--Brief to fly jet that flies itself
1630--Get into flight suits...man, G-suits don't fit like they did back in Meridian
1700--Go for airplane ride. Don't bother trimming. Maybe I'll fly with one engine today, that sounds fun! Come in for the SH break, use the first pass to "check how the ball is calibrated", get waved off.
1800--Land on second pass

Besides, I HAVE started, and for the record this was for the second time after we were halted during ground school. And somebody needs to keep you in check G-18, especially with all those OSX's :icon_tong ... but at least we are in grey airplanes now and we are allowed to do this "for a living".

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Mefesto said:
Saw a message with Decom report dates to San Dog, and the JFK is set for 30 Sep 06.

That message was ammended with a statement that the JFK was on the list by mistake. She is in official limbo - No decom date, but no real funding to fix the problems either.

Don't worry about the 4 wire being stripped, you will not know the difference and it will not make things harder for you to CQ. All the ship does is change the glideslope to retarget the hook touchdown point further aft on the ship to before the 2 wire instead of the usual position before the 3 wire. Every boat does this at times and the pilots don't even know it until after they've trapped because they are concentrating on Meatball, lineup, Angle of Attack. Of course the deck spotters will start to bolter more, but that's what happens when you spot the deck.

Punk

Sky Pig Wrangler
pilot
The Gooch said:
0900--Still asleep
1100--Wake up, get ready for another grueling day
1101--Haven't made it to the shower yet
1200--Roll into Prowler U
1201--CBT's, yep, pretty useless, CTTG -> another acronym down
1300--First class of the day
1400--Already done with classes
1401--Looks around for something to do
1401:05--After giving up at looking for something to do, looks at tarmac, sees airplanes, realizes won't touch one for another 3 months
1402--Thinks about any flying skills one posessed, realizes will have none left by the time he reaches the airplane
1402:02--Bitching, moaning, general complaining, etc
1403--Random ECMO mentions something about jamming, pilot gives blank stare in return
1404--Mumbling from ECMO, something about stupid pilot, pilot wishes he had command eject button for each seat
1410--Starts car, tries to recall what he learned today, can't remember, drives home
1420--Home already, checks clock, under the 3 hour limit, gives a smile, thinks about getting some night skiing in :D

edited for Prowler pilot in RAG

disclaimer: may or may not actually happen during the day :icon_tong

brd2881

Bon Scott Lives
pilot
So what exactly is the hold up at the Harrier RAG anyway...I mean...I have heard about some big waits....jet probs or just lots of studs? I know the history of the jet obviously...

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None
The Gooch said:
Dave, Dave, Dave...of all people to tell me that YOU work for a living. Come on man, we know what you do when you go to work...and I'll enlighten.

0900--Wake up (thank God its not the early brief!)
1100--Roll into the squadron
1101--Caffeine by injection
1130--Complain about the head office policy
1300--Lunch (man, I'm hungry!)
1400--Complain some more. Comment "at least we aren't still in VT-7"
1500--Brief to fly jet that flies itself
1630--Get into flight suits...man, G-suits don't fit like they did back in Meridian
1700--Go for airplane ride. Don't bother trimming. Maybe I'll fly with one engine today, that sounds fun! Come in for the SH break, use the first pass to "check how the ball is calibrated", get waved off.
1800--Land on second pass

Besides, I HAVE started, and for the record this was for the second time after we were halted during ground school. And somebody needs to keep you in check G-18, especially with all those OSX's :icon_tong ... but at least we are in grey airplanes now and we are allowed to do this "for a living".

An entire thread making fun of Pappy and not one dig at his... errr... advanced age?

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
Only one little correction there Gouchie Boy, OSX's were not my problem. More along the lines of Bolter, Bolter, Bolter.... But hey we cant all be perfect. And we are actually putting in 12 hour days, sometimes. Give me a call there biatcha!

airwinger

pilot
Punk said:
edited for Prowler pilot in RAG

disclaimer: may or may not actually happen during the day :icon_tong
Punk
too true, it's awesome when my girlfriend asks what I did today and I stare at her and say "well it was pretty exciting when we ran out of coffee and I made it, SOLO!!"

The Gooch

FOD Eater
pilot
brd2881 said:
So what exactly is the hold up at the Harrier RAG anyway...I mean...I have heard about some big waits....jet probs or just lots of studs? I know the history of the jet obviously...

I'll share my story for the humor-mill and see how it works. Finished in May, got to hang around Meridian until the end of July and play RDO, race down the tarmac (because I asked and they let me), and booze. Got out here and checked into the squadron expecting to start in a week or so, and was told because of a bit of a fam wait I would class up a month later. No biggie, figured I would get acquainted with the lush tropical landscape of eastern North Carolina. Then we had a few red stripes hit (not the beer...basically a platform specific gripe downing the type) most notably one about the LP-1 compressor fan blades cracking at the spindle. I don't know about you, but I'd rather not fly a single engine jet with pieces of a ginormous fan blade being eaten, so I figured we would lose some X's while the solution came out. What I didn't realize was we had 2 classes about to finish, one in BFM, the one behind them in advanced strike, and they sat too...leaving no space for us new guys. Come Day 0 of ground school, the RPTO (replacement pilot training officer) comes in and says "I have bad news, and worse news." Bad news: we weren't starting that day. Worse: they didn't know when we were starting.

So, we ate that nugget of wisdom, stretched out our hamstrings in anticipation of becoming the official duty whores (which I, at one point, stood assistant ODO 10 fly days in a row), became guests of the People's Democratic Republic in lovely Warner Springs, California, and let the cynicism fester in our formerly eager souls. As we sat, more and more new guys kept showing up. At one point, we had 22 replacements flying, and 20 in the "pool". The wait right now for the last class who checked in is supposed to be around 6 months, which wasn't that bad considering when most of our IPs were RPs they waited 10+, and with less jets and less instructors, they had to do other jobs on base or for the MAG like embarkation officers for the transient line and stuff you can stash a 1st Lt doing.

We finally classed up last week, so right now my brain is just happy to not be clicking away at CBT's learning about the mighty RR-408 Pegasus engine (which, I challenge any of you Hornet guys to a race down the runway with...and you guys can use burner...and we'll see who wins :) ) and stuff of that nature. Hope this helps bust any rumors (and speaking of the rumorbuster, he works in my hall now), and lets all you API students feel better. Now go study your boldface.

Punk

Sky Pig Wrangler
pilot
airwinger said:
Punk
too true, it's awesome when my girlfriend asks what I did today and I stare at her and say "well it was pretty exciting when we ran out of coffee and I made it, SOLO!!"

I thought you would like that

and after the conversation we had today, it doesn't sound like its gonna change any time soon

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
One day you will be my age so keep on laughing. If you want to talk about humor, I get the last laugh on PRT day. If I show up, I pass. Run? Never again. And 3 miles twice a year for Marines. Now thats funny. Pull ups? Ha, dont think so! It's good to be a little older!

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
The Gooch said:
emot-words.gif

dude...

I had my first fam sim in the beginning of July... I -still- haven't solo'd
:weeping_1

brd2881

Bon Scott Lives
pilot
Well I don't know what to say other than...that sucks...hopefully for you all things will begin to pick up...and the string of recent misfortunes wiill hopefully come to an end...

Deke999999

Oh ****, we're on fire. What now Geese??
pilot
Non-love of the Drumstick

I just got back onto airwarriors after a long break. Its good to see the same people still posting to the site. I must say that it breaks my heart to see non love of the ugliest machine flying.:) At the RAG it is truly the country club of aviation. Look me up at the squadron and I will give the inside gouge on how to most properly work the system as a pilot. I do feel your pain about the 2.5 hours a day, especially now when the sun don't shine on Whidbey. However, they have figured out the double pump thing here as I can attest. The FCLP phase is not exclusive to syllabus events. If you get canked for maint then you may get your NATOPS open/closed test sprung without warning. Again, look me up as I have s bunch of gouge and any chart you will need as the man who follows FMS1 wherever it may point. lol