• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

January 09 Boards

MasterBates

To the NTX guy,

If you are that serious about losing the weight NOW, and you should be to get into OCS, just stop drinking any alcohol period until you are in standards, and still going down. Be the DD. Work out more. Eat reasonably but don't starve yourself, if you eat too little, you will put your body into "Starvation Mode" and will actually hurt your weight loss.

NTXRockr

Alive and kicking...sort of.
MasterBates, I was only kidding about the alcohol reference. I had previously been cutting it down and now haven't had any for several weeks, since I knew I was going to have to lose the weight. I've been trying to stick to a diet like the atkins diet and only eating meats with vegetables - no starches, fats, sugars, salt, or carbs - and have been pretty good minus the fact that it's been the holidays the past month. So I ended up eating just turkey and veggies at Thanksgiving and Christmas, and had to skip out on the other totally awesome, once a year delicacies like stuffing, sweet potatoes, pumkin pie, etc...

Your post in the weight loss thread in the PRT section (along with many others') was a great help to start out with, but my issues working out so far have been pushups and running. My shoulders kill me on pu's (and I strained the rotator cuffs when I was younger from doing too many), and I currently have major shin splints while running from not doing intensive runs for so long. I can crank out the miles and effort on a bike without any issues, but it doesn't feel the same and I still have to run for the PRT. Any ideas on things to correct these issues? I'll also post in the PRT section as well to get the proper people's responses. Thanks guys.

CRJockey, it looks like you have a decent packet so unless there are a ton of other hot shots applying as well (which I have read of a few posting on here for January) you should be competitive at the board. My packet isn't going up for January now, so that's one less competitor you have to worry about, haha.....actually, I'm BDCP so we won't be competing for the same slots anyways. Good luck on the 15th.

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
^----- You need the carbs to feed and fuel your muscles while you continue to work out. When you work out and your muscle fibers break down, if you don't have any fuel for them...you will just be tired and fatigued all the time and your gains will be minimal.

In fact, you need a steady diet of protein, fat, and carbohydrates to keep your muscles fed and your body energized so you can maximize your work outs. One of the whole reasons for exercise is so you actually FEEL good too.

NTXRockr

Alive and kicking...sort of.
Yeah, well there's been many people with conflicting arguements about what to eat and what to cut out. I tend to agree with you to continue to eat "fuel" carbs and a little fat (not too much) or else the body would go into starvation mode. But most of my friends and family who've lost weight fast when they needed to say the cutoff method is most effective if I plan on getting down to weight by mid-January. But when I'm at weight and want to cut the fat and gain more muscle I will slowly add some of the fats and carbs back into my diet, as my metabolism will be up and should burn it and the rest of the stores up quickly. I'm also doing low weight/high rep workouts since I don't want to build bulk muscle yet, but after I get down I would start increasing the weighted workouts along with the foods.

I could be completely wrong (as I've always been in shape prior to 2-3 years ago and never had to diet until now) so if I am please point out the major problems that could hold me back from getting to weight. I feel that an atkins diet would be the way to go for the next month to get the weight down, and then add back some of the other foods to supplement my metabolism and workouts.

Hey does anyone know if the 50 apps per board rule is for straight OCS or for BDCP also?

Would my recruiter have sent my packet out before getting back the employer refrences? I had everything to him early December but I dont think he got any refrences back until 22 Dec.

Anyways Im hoping to make it to january
21yo. Applying BDCP-SNA
Mechanical Engineering 2.98 at The Ohio State University
8/7/8 65
Steward and member of executive committee in my fraternity
Eagle Scout
High School Track and Cross Country
Worked same job all through high school and have over a year intern experience at an engineering firm.
LOR from manager and from COO of high school company, Engineering Manager at current company

Bad:
2 Speeding tickets-1 when 16 and 1 about a year ago
used marijana 7x but not in over 3 years

scottwith1t

east coast
pilot
Bad:
2 Speeding tickets-1 when 16 and 1 about a year ago
used marijana 7x but not in over 3 years

they don't care about those speeding tickets. i had two, one of which delayed my application because it was an "open case" or something cause i managed to snag it on my way to the recruiter's office and it didn't seem to change anything.

Hey what's up guys? This is my first post applying for a SNA slot. Talked to my recruiter said my app. will be in the Jan board, should have been in the Nov. board but meps held up my medical because the air force recruiter lost 2 pages from my meps file and meps took a month to get it to the OR. But anyhow here it goes.

24yo. Applying BDCP-SNA
B.A. Business Admin. concentration in marketing 3.0 GPA
don't remember my exact scores but I got a 48, which I know isn't exactly top notch but test taking isn't my best asset, actually doing things is.
-Teasurer in Fraternity, Played Lacrosse all years, Dean's list one year
- charity work with spca, marketing work for adidas
- Private pilots license got it in 40 hrs now have roughly 60 working on my instrument rating (pops was a coastie pilot)
-LOR's - 2 - 07 Brig. Gen from AF

post cont'd

not sure what happened to my post but my computer messed up and stuck it up there before i was done. anyhow here is the rest.

LOR's : 2- 07 Brig Gen from AF
2- 06 USA Col and Navy Capt (F-14 pilot)
1- 05 Navy P3 pilot

hopefully we can start off the new year with some good news.

Veovis

PRO REC SNA!
Alright now that the Army is done taking 3 months to mail my prior service record....

I waited until I got the email from my recruiter that my packed was in to post since I think I've posted that I was up for every board since July....

Applying SNA, NFO OCS
25/M
8/8/8 59
2.95 GPA Business Economics Boise State University

LOR's
Army CW-3 UH-60 pilot (ret.)
AF 0-6 pilot (ret.)
College professor
College Debate Coach
Former Employer

36.2 hrs in a Cessna

National Debate Champion
Rugby Team
etc.

Pray to God, Allah, and Tom Cruise ;)

AG3HEATHER

Hey there. As you aspire to become first a Sailor and then an officer, I hope you maintain a modest outlook on what you view commends you to such a position of responsibility. What you post on here will be looked at by the DI's and they will use it against you at OCS. So I wish you all the best and I am not patronizing, but wanting to help you understand that your ability to deal with stress and pay close attention to detail is what will determine whether you make it through OCS. If you would like any advice as to life in the Navy, I am happy to answer any questions you have. Good luck!

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
Alright now that the Army is done taking 3 months to mail my prior service record....

I waited until I got the email from my recruiter that my packed was in to post since I think I've posted that I was up for every board since July....

Applying SNA, NFO OCS
25/M
8/8/8 59
2.95 GPA Business Economics Boise State University

LOR's
Army CW-3 UH-60 pilot (ret.)
AF 0-6 pilot (ret.)
College professor
College Debate Coach
Former Employer

36.2 hrs in a Cessna

National Debate Champion
Rugby Team
etc.

Pray to God, Allah, and Tom Cruise ;)

Did you get non-select each time? If so, what did you and your recruiter suspect were the reasons?

Or did you think you were up for every board and finally your crap got submitted for real?

Good luck and persistence pays off.

Veovis

PRO REC SNA!
Did you get non-select each time? If so, what did you and your recruiter suspect were the reasons?

Or did you think you were up for every board and finally your crap got submitted for real?

Good luck and persistence pays off.

I kept thinking/hoping I was good to go.

My recruiter and I weren't initially thinking the board would require my prior service record since I was on active duty for only six months and was given an entry level seperation due to an injury in Tech school. So we requested it in mid-October, it arrived a week before Christmas...

gatorchris08

I submitted in December, but I'm not holding my breath, I know I probably won't be reviewed in January, but here are my stats and I'm applying for INTEL, NFO, and SWO:

3.33 GPA majoring in Political Science and minoring in History from the University of Florida
ASTB 51 5/5/4
Outstanding PRT (105 sit-ups, 88 push-ups, 9:38 1.5 mile)
Member of UF's wrestling practice team, Officer in Pi Sigma Alpha (Poli Sci Honors Society), Member of Gators for Sustainable Campus, High School I was in three sports (Cross Country, Wrestling, Track), in High School I was a member of Chemistry Honors Society and National Honors Society
LOR's from all my previous employers, one state attorney, one spinal surgeon, one retired Master Chief from the Navy, one 1st LT in the Air Force, one retired Sergent from the Marines, one US Senator, one Sergent from the Army who was my JROTC teacher in high school, two UF professors (one's retired and written a number of books, the other is a law professor and history professor (has a JD and PHD))