• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

January 09 Boards

BDCPCowboy

Well, I talked to my OR today and apparently I didn’t even make it to this month’s board. He informed me that due to the large amount of applications not all that are submitted can be reviewed that month. According to him, the board is now seeing only 50 applications per month. As a result, each application that cannot be reviewed is pushed back to a later month. What is disheartening about the situation is that my application was submitted October 3rd and my OR can’t even tell me at which board I will be reviewed. Has anyone else heard about this, or in a similar situation?

I was one of those BDCP candidates that was rolled over as well. It has been a lengthy process to say the least but hopefully I will get a shot at the Jan 09 board. On a positive note I got to enjoy Thanksgiving and should even get some nice gifts this Christmas :). Well here is the new thread or old new thread or roll over thread? Good luck and all my best

Never to Early

BDCP- SNA, NFO, SWO
23 years old
3.01 Kinesiology University of Wyoming 06/08
5/5/5 55 ASTB
Low Excellent PRT

LOR- Marine NA, Sheriff, Lawyer

Misc:
Boy Scouts
Varsity Sports
Community Service/Volunteer work

No Flight experience
MEPS Completed-Perfect Vision
No prior drug or alcohol related incidents

Stats are a little low for NA, but I hope to at least lock down an NFO slot..

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
Non-BDCP

SNA/SNFO

26 M

2.52 GPA Aviation Management University of Oklahoma - Currently getting my Air Traffic Control certification

ASTB: 8/9/8 57 (hopefully my saving grace)

LORs: Navy CDR (A-6 pilot), AF COL (B-52 Sqdn CO) , AF LtCOL (USAFA prof.), Academic Counselor, Dean, Professor, Family friend (VP of Oil Company)

MISC: National Honor Society, Varsity captain 4 years (soccer), football, Youth US National team -1997 (soccer), volunteer coaching (kids), All-State, All-City honors.

Private Pilot License - ~110 hours

Finished all my MEPS and PRT stuff. No criminal record.. I just like to drive fast.

ASHWND

(BDCP) Supply Corps OC
Non-BDCP

SNA/SNFO

26 M

2.52 GPA Aviation Management University of Oklahoma - Currently getting my Air Traffic Control certification

ASTB: 8/9/8 57 (hopefully my saving grace)

LORs: Navy CDR (A-6 pilot), AF COL (B-52 Sqdn CO) , AF LtCOL (USAFA prof.), Academic Counselor, Dean, Professor, Family friend (VP of Oil Company)

MISC: National Honor Society, Varsity captain 4 years (soccer), football, Youth US National team -1997 (soccer), volunteer coaching (kids), All-State, All-City honors.

Private Pilot License - ~110 hours

Finished all my MEPS and PRT stuff. No criminal record.. I just like to drive fast.

Awesome ASTB Scores, but what happened with the GPA? Also when is your birthday? Age is starting to become a factor for you, have you looked into other communities?

BDCPCowboy

.. I just like to drive fast.

OR: Have you had any traffic violations?
Me: Yes...
OR: How many? What type? Where they under 100 dollars?
Me: Atleast 5 speeding violations... I believe they were under that amount
OR: When did this occur?
Me: From 14 years old on to about 6 months ago...
OR: I see, (sigh)...could you give me an approximate date and number?
Me: Reflect, Guess, Smile

"I wanna go fast, I wanna go fast." "I feel the need, the need for speed"

From what I have read on the Oct and Nov Threads your packet looks great. Wish I had those ASTB scores you punished that stuff. My OR said the the board never gives him feedback but mentioned that it is hard to get looked at for NA with a GPA under a 3.6? I don't know how much truth there is to this or not considering they look at they "whole package." If you think of the ASTB like a GRE,MCAT,LSAT then I think that a great score like yours will help to you level the playing field. Great packet keep up the hope and try to keep your foot out of the floorboard :).

atrickpay

BDCP SNA
My OR said the the board never gives him feedback but mentioned that it is hard to get looked at for NA with a GPA under a 3.6?

I'd say that's bad gouge. Some recruiters will say this type of thing just to make sure you don't immediately give up when you think you don't have a chance. I'm sure a 3.6 looks great, but I would consider anything above 3.0 competitive. I have seen lots of guys get selected with under a 3.6, and some under 3.0. If your GPA isn't so hot, just make up for it with kickass ASTB scores like OUSOONER. You can check the previous months' boards and get a rough estimate for what #'s will get you selected. The key is that it's not all about numbers, they just play a large role.

Good luck to all January applicants!

McBuff

Sees the light
OR: Have you had any traffic violations?
Me: Yes...
OR: How many? What type? Where they under 100 dollars?
Me: Atleast 5 speeding violations... I believe they were under that amount
OR: When did this occur?
Me: From 14 years old on to about 6 months ago...
OR: I see, (sigh)...could you give me an approximate date and number?
Me: Reflect, Guess, Smile

"I wanna go fast, I wanna go fast." "I feel the need, the need for speed"

Either ND has a very young driving age or there's a good story behind this... or perhaps both?

And if you are, don't sweat the tickets. I got selected with a hx of liscense suspension.

BDCPCowboy

I'd say that's bad gouge. Some recruiters will say this type of thing just to make sure you don't immediately give up when you think you don't have a chance. I'm sure a 3.6 looks great, but I would consider anything above 3.0 competitive. I have seen lots of guys get selected with under a 3.6, and some under 3.0. If your GPA isn't so hot, just make up for it with kickass ASTB scores like OUSOONER. You can check the previous months' boards and get a rough estimate for what #'s will get you selected. The key is that it's not all about numbers, they just play a large role.

Good luck to all January applicants!

Thanks for the encouragement and positive post Atrick. Congrats on the Pro-Rec SNA!! :D

BullGator

Correct me if I am wrong Ash but doesn't Sooner still have ~2yrs. at which time he is eligible to get a wavier up until 30?
No, 27 for non prior service. He would need to complete OCS before turning 27, e.g. commissioned before 27. I think I remember him saying he just had a birthday in the last few months so he should be good. If OUSooner is not selected he could also apply the next month for other designations, but I don't think he can wait the 6months between applying for sNA.

Good luck OUSooner, your package seems very strong other than the GPA and I heard of someone that got pilot with a 2.4-2.5 so it's doable.

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
I turned 26 in August..so I'm OKAY..but can't afford to sit on my butt. I have 9 months until I turn 27. The GPA is rough...but I went UP to a 2.52, not DOWN to a 2.52 which makes a difference. (I've had 6 consecutive 3.0 and up semesters, finished my last semester in college with a 4.0) I also held 2 jobs at the same time while going to school and an internship. So hopefully the upward trend looks favorable.

BDCPCowboy

Either ND has a very young driving age or there's a good story behind this... or perhaps both?

And if you are, don't sweat the tickets. I got selected with a hx of liscense suspension.

Both. When I was 14 in SD they had a provision for youth drivers to acquire a license because of the Agriculture demographic. This allowed for my underdeveloped sense of fear/responsibility in combination with my Camero to get a couple tickets. One ticket in particular stands out above the rest.

Officer: Do you know how fast you were going?
Me: (Pause) 80ish
Officer: Bullshit, I was doing 110 and you were pulling away from me
Me: Yeah....(sigh)

Its good to know that it shouldn't be a problem

nugget61

pilot
Originally Posted by BDCPCowboy
My OR said the the board never gives him feedback but mentioned that it is hard to get looked at for NA with a GPA under a 3.6?
I'd say that's bad gouge. Some recruiters will say this type of thing just to make sure you don't immediately give up when you think you don't have a chance. I'm sure a 3.6 looks great, but I would consider anything above 3.0 competitive...

You must also consider that they really consider your major(s) with GPA - a 3.5 in under-water basket weaving isn't as respectable as a 3.5 in engineering

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
You must also consider that they really consider your major(s) with GPA - a 3.5 in under-water basket weaving isn't as respectable as a 3.5 in engineering

I think this really emphasizes the weight of the ASTB..because so many different people have different majors, go to different schools, and have different life circumstances.

The ASTB is the only way to put candidate 'A' and candidate 'B' on a level playing field and can accurately measure the two.

Lobster

I'd agree with calling that bad gouge, its the total package that they look at, they don't want some dummy with a 1.8 in intro to basket weaving but they don't want some bookworm who can do nothing but ace tests. They look at everything, scores, grades, activities, athletics, volunteer experience, and leadership