• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

January 09 Boards

swerdna

None
Contributor
Oh another thing..for those waiting. There will be an investigation on you. You don't "get" your security clearance before you go to OCS..it's just the beginning of the process.

When your clearance becomes relevant is when you are out of flight school and are at the RAG/FRS. Basically when you are learning to fly whatever aircraft you will be flying as a Naval Aviator..where you will actually be learning classified material.

So fear not...the investigators will be coming after you either now or after OCS. :)

Point is, you can get orders to OCS and final select before you even talk to anybody. Just like what happened to me.

Security clearances are VERY expensive...or so I've been told. So that makes a lot of sense that they'd wait until after OCS to complete it. No point in spending a bunch of money on people who are just going to drop out. Not that any of us will, of course. :icon_wink

Congrats...and good luck to the rest of us.

Charity

Final Select SNA
Good to hear you got your OCS date, Sooner. Good Luck!

I'm in Corpus getting my flight physical (at lunch right now) and so far everything is okay. I still have to do vision when I go back, which is my main concern. My sitting height here was 35.2 inches, well above what's required...that's a good inch taller than the male standard.

Not sure if I'll get to keep my March 15 OCS date, considering I still have to be measured by a machine before I can go to OCS as SNA.

motorhead

Hey I just want to confirm something before talking to my recruiter. Most of you guys are going to MEPS for standard medical processing then to a flight doctor to be approved for flight, correct?

I'm hearing that my flight physical will be performed after OCS in Pennsicola and I don't really like that idea.

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
Hey I just want to confirm something before talking to my recruiter. Most of you guys are going to MEPS for standard medical processing then to a flight doctor to be approved for flight, correct?

I'm hearing that my flight physical will be performed after OCS in Pennsicola and I don't really like that idea.

Most people are not going to MEPS and then to a flight doctor. Some people just do it for personal reasons so they don't go to OCS to find out they are NPQ.

It is standard to go to NAMI at Pensacola for the flight physical.

I went to MEPS but I have had no military flight physical except for my medicals for my private pilot's license...and those don't count of course.

Don't sweat it, unless of course you feel you may have a problem. Thousands of would-be aviators before you have gone through the same process as I will go through.

clearskiez

OUSOONER, or anyone for that matter, but I mention you cause my question is about the PRT and the timing of your OCS date. I heard the PRT needs to be done 45 days prior to OCS, maybe that was just a suggested time, not really sure. I was also told that it was done after final selection. I have not taken a PRT and I was Pro'Rec'd this month. So anyways, what's your story with the PRT?

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
OUSOONER, or anyone for that matter, but I mention you cause my question is about the PRT and the timing of your OCS date. I heard the PRT needs to be done 45 days prior to OCS, maybe that was just a suggested time, not really sure. I was also told that it was done after final selection. I have not taken a PRT and I was Pro'Rec'd this month. So anyways, what's your story with the PRT?

Your PRT does not have to be completed with your application for pro-rec...same goes for your MEPS as well. It does speed up your process for final selection though if all are done prior.

Again, you do need to go to MEPS and do your PRT for your final select and OCS date. I "think" but I'm not sure....if a while passes before your OCS date..you may have to do another before you go.

clearskiez

Thanks for the info. I did MEPS, I'm ready to take the PRT, not worried about it, I'd like to get it out way, just wondering how much of a priority I need to make it. I guess I should since it's only been a couple days and I want my final select.

Charity

Final Select SNA
Well, my astigmatism tested at -1.75, but since I could read the 20/20 line with a -1.00 prescription they say I'm okay. Of course, I'm still nervous because I know I'll have to get another flight physical at API, so I hope it doesn't get worse. I was pretty tired because I didn't sleep good the 2 nights before the physical and had to drive 450 miles the day before the physical, so this gives me a good idea of what my vision is like when I'm tired. My near vision was 20/40, so that makes me a little nervous too. The Optometrist said it's not likely that my vision will change much in the next 3-6 months. She also didn't recommend PRK because she said in my case the risks outweigh the benefits because I could end up with a different problem after surgery that could keep me out of aviation completely. She said it's up to me and I'm taking a risk either way. Other than that, I'm good to go.

Charity

Final Select SNA
Does anyone know how we get paid while we're at OCS? Do we get paid after we complete OCS, or can we have it direct deposited into our bank account? Just wondering because I have bills to pay. Also, does the military pay any part of the expense of traveling to OCS?

Leviticus

pro-rec SNA
A friend of mine just finished OCS...he told me to expect issues with the pay; however, by the last few weeks, pay should be corrected and they'll catch you up. I've read that travel to OCS will be reimbursed if/when you make it through.

I've read that we should come with 100-300 in cash and to take our ATM cards; But, I've also read that it's a good idea to have 2-4k in the checking or savings to cover yourself in the event that your pay is messed up. This way you can pay your bills, uniforms, etc.