• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

JAN/FEB/MAR 2014 Rolling SNA and SNFO Boards

KODAK

"Any time in this type?"
pilot
I am really interested in the NFO but I am not sure if I am competitive at all? That was my first attempt at the ASTB with one week of studying.
I am also not sure about the selection process if I am not selected for NFO but am selected for Intel can I decline the offer and reapply after retaking the ASTB?

Having been through the ASTB once do you feel a retake would help your scores? Do you remember which areas you struggled in and where you felt confident? Other folks can give you more intelligent gouge on your test scores, but I would (personally) study and retake it when able.

This may be bad intel, but I had several different pilots/ NFOs tell me to "request the community you want" - in other words, if you want NFO put NFO and nothing else. While I cannot verify the validity of this technique it certainly prevents you from walking down the road you just described.

Good luck to you!

utswimmer37

"Descent Planning"
pilot
I wouldn't bug him dude. The frequency in which you request a status update is not going to change when the decision comes down. Just be patient and don't think about it; then hopefully it will be a pleasant surprise.
fair enough, just wasnt sure if me being held out of the loop would bear any consequences. I guess if the Navy needs me they will find me.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
This is my first time posting I am hoping to get some feed back and information about boards.
20 -Female- No prior
Overall GPA 3.0
BA Sociology GPA 3.9
Minor Biology
NFO/ Intel applicant
4/4/5
OAR 54
LOR: 2 employers, 1 Professor, 1 LTC Commander, 1 President of Student Organization
MEPS:?
PQ:?
Experience: Mentoring, Volunteering, Leadership in team sports, participation in student organizations

I am really interested in the NFO but I am not sure if I am competitive at all? That was my first attempt at the ASTB with one week of studying.
I am also not sure about the selection process if I am not selected for NFO but am selected for Intel can I decline the offer and reapply after retaking the ASTB?

Thanks in advance
You are in a bit of a bind here, your ASTB scores are not competitive for SNFO and Intel is VERY tight, mainly selecting priors with Intel experience for the few available Intel slots. Your best bet is to take a retest of the ASTB, and apply/reapply for SNFO.:)

It's rather unusual to have a 3.9 GPA in your major, and only a 3.0 GPA overall, barely minimum??? Good luck whatever you decide.
BzB

Surf

pilot
This is my first time posting I am hoping to get some feed back and information about boards.
20 -Female- No prior
Overall GPA 3.0
BA Sociology GPA 3.9
Minor Biology
NFO/ Intel applicant
4/4/5
OAR 54
LOR: 2 employers, 1 Professor, 1 LTC Commander, 1 President of Student Organization
Experience: Mentoring, Volunteering, Leadership in team sports, participation in student organizations

Thanks in advance
Jayk, I found it more effective to study at least a month or two in advance for the ASTB to get comfortable with the format. It is just like any other aptitude test, in that you can only score so high compared to others, but your odds of doing much better increase when you know how to approach the sections. I don't have much room to talk since my scores aren't astronomical, but I have taken it twice and improved the second time. YMMV

exNavyOffRec

20 -Female- No prior
Overall GPA 3.0
BA Sociology GPA 3.9
Minor Biology
NFO/ Intel applicant
4/4/5
OAR 54

Thanks in advance

The only thing that goes on the application is overall GPA, and unless you are going nuke or another tech program they really don't care how you did in your major at all, is your GPA a typo on one since as stated before that is quite a difference.

as it is you do not make the cutoff for NFO to even apply, and Intel is tight and you really don't fit the profile of who they have been selecting.

utswimmer37

"Descent Planning"
pilot
Jayk, I found it more effective to study at least a month or two in advance for the ASTB to get comfortable with the format. It is just like any other aptitude test, in that you can only score so high compared to others, but your odds of doing much better increase when you know how to approach the sections. I don't have much room to talk since my scores aren't astronomical, but I have taken it twice and improved the second time. YMMV
For sure retake, I put in a month and felt very comfortable. I felt it made for a fluid test taking experience. I may not have done extremely well on OAR but I knew how to recognize immediately if the question was a strength of mine or not. This left for plenty of time to reexamine the ones I wasn't sure about. If you want NFO I would suggest putting in the time to understand the ins-and-outs of the aeronautical/nautical portion. In my mind I think it would benefit you to take a month to study, post a more competitive score and not have to go through the wait for a board only to find out you need higher scores. Put the work in now to rest easy later. Just my .02. Best of luck.

Jayk

The only thing that goes on the application is overall GPA, and unless you are going nuke or another tech program they really don't care how you did in your major at all, is your GPA a typo on one since as stated before that is quite a difference.

as it is you do not make the cutoff for NFO to even apply, and Intel is tight and you really don't fit the profile of who they have been selecting.
Thanks for the feedback. I will put in some time to study and become more competitive!!!

To answer the question it was not a typo in GPA difference. I did extremely well in my major because I enjoyed the material and focused. With my degree you were forced to have a minor. I ended up choosing something I did not enjoy so it brought my overall GPA down because I did not apply myself.

Mr Spenz

"Your brief saved your flight' - every IP
pilot
You are in a bit of a bind here, your ASTB scores are not competitive for SNFO and Intel is VERY tight, mainly selecting priors with Intel experience for the few available Intel slots. Your best bet is to take a retest of the ASTB, and apply/reapply for SNFO.:)

It's rather unusual to have a 3.9 GPA in your major, and only a 3.0 GPA overall, barely minimum??? Good luck whatever you decide.
BzB
I have to say I completely agree. My major GPA was better than my overall GPA but not by almost a whole GPA point.

LawlessNavyman

I am literally days away from being able to actually submit my package to Millington. I am hung up on one thing that I cannot seem to clarify. AD guys, perhaps you can help me out here. I am currently 26, but enlisted active duty. I turn 27 next month.

Program Auth States:

"For applicants with prior active duty military service, waivers must be granted on a month-to-month basis up to 24 months for active duty served prior to their 27th birthday, to a maximum age of 29."

What exactly does month-to-month basis mean? Do I need to get an age waiver for my package? If yes, is there a template or form that I should use for the formal request? how far will this set me back, weeks, months? I was hoping to get this thing out next week.
Avid, month-month means that depending on how many months of service you have they will extend out you age requirements. Yes you need to get a waiver if your turing for Pilot. You need to email Freda Hudspeth, she is in the NMCI global list. Just tell her you need an age waiver for Pilot/NFO and she will ask for some info. It will take maybe a couple days. I sent her an email on like a monday and by the end of the week i had a signed letter with my waiver.

SNA Applicant
8/8/7 65
3.5 Computer Engineering, West Virginia University
3 recs which you can read about in my profile.
No flight experience.

Coffee, Gym, Laundry because I am one of the genetic elite (Ginger), No tanning for me :D.

akjim101

I spoke with my OR today, I have been PQ and he contacted CNRC to see if they would honor my ProY from April's board. However, since it was more than 6 months old they said I would have to resubmit. I'm getting with him on Friday (14 Feb 14) to redo any of the forms that need redone to submit again. What was the selection rate at the December board (I've read back a few pages and saw that it was "high", but does anyone have the actual rate)? Also, how far out would the next board have to be for my packet to make it to the board?