• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

IWC Board Nov 20

exNavyOffRec

Guess if we're too old to qualify for almost all designations as a plan B on the list - which is why I only applied for Intel - then we can relate our probability of selection to that one famous quote by Jim Carey in Dumb & Dumber. I believe that most of y'all know the quote I'm talking about. If y'all don't, I'm gonna sit the rest of the forum out until we get the results hopefully the week of Jan 11th. My OR assured me my app was strong, yet since I'm applying as a civilian and not currently AD military with no prior years of service I have my doubts. Pretty sure we all are a little uncertain how good of a shot we have to be selected - I'm not talking about the ones that score 65+ on the OAR, have a 3.75+ GPA, &/or put 3 languages they speak fluently on their app - of course, that isn't an exhaustive list of those who are 100% certain they'll get selected.
You have a great GPA, decent shot for Intel, and no one cares what languages a person can or cannot speak.

BasketballisLife

You have a great GPA, decent shot for Intel, and no one cares what languages a person can or cannot speak.
I second that. Language specialties are usually expected for certain enlisted ratings only. Officers aren't required to know another language except maybe a Foreign Area Officer at an Embassy.

PringleMan

I second that. Language specialties are usually expected for certain enlisted ratings only. Officers aren't required to know another language except maybe a Foreign Area Officer at an Embassy.

Speaking from my experience currently working in the Attache program, even we just get fed through a language program. The FAOs are no different. They spend their entire career building towards a regional specialty and then get stationed somewhere entirely different.

jetphiltx

When I was filling out my official app, there was something about Arabic on it, but my OR stated it was a template for another app. I found it kinda odd, and thought maybe it was a deal breaker. I'm sure if the Navy needs me to learn a language, they'll provide the means for me to become fluent in whatever they need.

Triumph_MAC

Speaking from my experience currently working in the Attache program, even we just get fed through a language program. The FAOs are no different. They spend their entire career building towards a regional specialty and then get stationed somewhere entirely different.
I deployed as part of an embedded training team, we did a 6 week language course with SDSU. We learned the very basics of the language but actually speaking to our counterparts during training was entirely different. They all had their own way of speaking so most of us still had no idea about what was being said.

Triumph_MAC

all one goal, it is not the easiest but AD, reservist, and civilian all compete directly against each other. IWC has in the past given "bonus points" for AD in an IWC rate, and that backfired greatly, then it swung the other way where AD were pretty much screwed going for any IWC designator, now it is more balanced.

What you are thinking of is that they keep track of who they select to make sure they don't make the same mistake, think of it as an after action report, as they have in the past, the IWC for a few years had a bad track record of not listening to NRC and the Director of OCS programs and the IWC made some big mistakes that took years to recover from.

They do the same tracking not just for AD, reservist, civilian sources, but also demographics like M/F, and also if a person is Hispanic, Asian, White, etc..... it allows them to know if they need to focus recruiting on certain areas. Enlisted recruiting is the opposite they look on the front end.
I'm surprised the AD time in service is really a factor since us enlisted guys have to do a minimum of 10 years to retire with the grade and rank. Granted, there is a retirement waiver that we could apply for and still get our high 3, the retired ID would just show our highest enlisted rank we held. However, the opposite side of that is an AD guy with 5 years could give the community 15 more until they are retirement eligible, while a civilian applicant could give the minimum and roll out with the training and experience. It's an interesting dynamic

exNavyOffRec

I'm surprised the AD time in service is really a factor since us enlisted guys have to do a minimum of 10 years to retire with the grade and rank. Granted, there is a retirement waiver that we could apply for and still get our high 3, the retired ID would just show our highest enlisted rank we held. However, the opposite side of that is an AD guy with 5 years could give the community 15 more until they are retirement eligible, while a civilian applicant could give the minimum and roll out with the training and experience. It's an interesting dynamic

What happens is you get a bunch of guys retiring after their 10-12 years as an officer as LT's and LCDR's, it is easier to make up for the civilian that comes in to do 4 and leave, they can make that up with a lateral from another community.

Triumph_MAC

What happens is you get a bunch of guys retiring after their 10-12 years as an officer as LT's and LCDR's, it is easier to make up for the civilian that comes in to do 4 and leave, they can make that up with a lateral from another community.
Is there quite a few lateral transfers into intel? I've heard a lot of the aviation guys will lat transfer into supply if they don't finish the pipeline for whatever reason. Do the lateral transfers into a designator get factored into the quotas in regards to initial accession?

exNavyOffRec

Is there quite a few lateral transfers into intel? I've heard a lot of the aviation guys will lat transfer into supply if they don't finish the pipeline for whatever reason. Do the lateral transfers into a designator get factored into the quotas in regards to initial accession?
The community manager will evaluate the health of the designator and if they need people in certain YG's they will put out what they need so interested parties can lateral transfer. It is another tool they have to manage their community when officers start leaving the service.

In regards to those who don't make it through the pipeline that is a different story, especially depending when in the pipeline they drop. There are those that get lucky who get to redesignate and stay in, and then there are times when they don't. I had Ensigns coming through my NRD who were pipeline drops that tried to redesignate and were not approved, so they were sent home.

NevarYalnal

In regards to those who don't make it through the pipeline that is a different story, especially depending when in the pipeline they drop. There are those that get lucky who get to redesignate and stay in, and then there are times when they don't. I had Ensigns coming through my NRD who were pipeline drops that tried to redesignate and were not approved, so they were sent home.

Out of curiosity, have you ever seen a RL pipeline drop ever get redesignated? I figure those must be pretty rare.

keizero11

Was there ever an October board for intel? I can't seem to find it and was told by my recruiter I should of heard something early december but its already the new year.