• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

IWC Board MARCH-01-21

mcarrs

Definitely bring it up, if he didn’t request your waiver, there is still some time left to get it approved. He should also contact CW OCM to see your chances of having the waiver approved because of COVID-19. If chances are low, might as well apply for another IWC designator as a 2nd option that you are interested in.

I called my recruiter last week. He looked into it and said no waiver would be required!

zarevich

Unless I miss read and you have less than 60 months, or like Ex mentioned that somehow your NRC approved your waiver himself, you should need it.

BasketballisLife

Does anyone have a copy of the upcoming FY21 board schedule? I tried searching on NRC and NPC; the most recent one I found was from May 19, 2020. I've also been clicking all over different threads on this site and can't find it.

Bill427

Temporary Corpus Christi resident
Alright, so I got my package submitted 22JAN2021 (confirmed), and since my first post I made some additions/ learned some things so here's the final rundown:

I submitted for Intel and IP (it's med cleared and going to the 1MAR21 board per Mr. Celestin), and I am working on a waiver for Pilot. My birthday is in April so commissioning would likely be just a few months past my 32nd, depending on when I ship. I figured I'd take a stab at it, the worst they say is no.

Service: Active Duty Navy, 8 yr STG1. EAOS is late August 2021 so this is looking like my only shot before I get out/go reserves. First time applying to OCS.
Bachelor's: 2.71 GPA, MS in Criminal Justice
Master's: 3.5 GPA MS in IT
OAR: 58
Appraisals: 1 Intel O6 (a former CO of a subordinate command), 1 Intel O5 (a current CO of a subordinate command), 1 IP O4 (EMO at my command)
Awards: JSOQ 2018, MAP to E6 2019
Evals: P, MP, EP, P, MP (the "normal progression")
Languages: Brazilian Portuguese 2/2, with NEC

Didn't end up getting any IT certs in time, had to rush this package in as it was. the deadline was more important than squeezing in the extras.

What I learned: people can be REAL shitty.

Story time: Wall of Text Warning

A fellow E6 has also been trying to get an 1830 OCS package together for a long time- total stud and he'll definitely get picked up someday. Anyways, he recently confided in me that his DIVO (1830) set him up with not one but THREE 1830 O7's for his appraisal interview- in one board. She had insisted that interviews had to be with O7 and above (wrong). According to my guy, he gave them honest answers and spoke from the heart when asked "would you take another community if Intel didn't work out?" He said "sure, because my first duty is to be an officer, and the IWC would be on top of that. And I would take a SWO/NFO job if Intel was unavailable because I want to serve"- the same answer I might give.

Apparently it was not the "Intel or die!" answer they wanted, and not one of these O7's even handed him back his appraisal forms, a couple even tore them up right in front of him. Now he looks bad and his DIVO looks bad for sending a "low quality candidate"...

So he comes back to work the next day just crushed, and his DIVO and another Officer run him through what they called a mock board (again, I fail to see why everything for his OCS package had to be a "board", this isn't an LDO package but whatever). This "mock board" was them just berating him for fucking up his O7 interviews. After that, his DIVO leaves the meeting and goes straight to our CO and says "Sir, don't even look at his package for another year". This is her guy that she's shooting in the foot! I thought leaders were supposed to help guide their guys and push for them, not hold them back?!?

So my man got screwed on the biggest chokepoint in the whole process: the CO endorsement. That's the one step that has no work-around/waiver/by-direction type of solution. And the CO will obviously take the opinions of the applicant's DIVO over an E6 whom he never interacts with. So my guy's package has been in purgatory while he gets yet another EP and continues to crush his job. According to his DIVO his package needs to somehow become more competitive before she even thinks of "allowing" him to apply. Furthermore, his DIVO claims a need to be hands-on for his entire process (wrong), and for him to go outside of her control would be seen as insubordinate (super wrong). It sounds like she's trying to control him vs guide him and it's making the simple things way too hard. My man needs 2-3 interviews and he's in. Everything else is done, and is better than my stats.

I showed him the instruction and we found numerous contradictions to his DIVO's word. Our solution is for him to just go out on his own to use my contacts for his appraisal interviews, and if his CoC gets pissy then we'll just have to get out the instruction and show them why they're wrong.

TLDR: Beware shitty application guidance from superiors who "know what they're talking about", have a need to control every part of the application process, are unwilling to prep their guys for high-grade interviews, but are willing to kneecap their own guys because their pride is hurt when that interview goes south. And be ready to take charge of your destiny and piss those individuals off to get to where you want to go.

dldis

Unless I miss read and you have less than 60 months, or like Ex mentioned that somehow your NRC approved your waiver himself, you should need it.
Yes, you're right, you need it. My 72 month mark will be August 2021. I submitted the waiver with my package and it got approved.

dldis

I got an email from Mr. Celestin a few days ago that my package was confirmed and my name is on the board list for CW 1810 and INTEL 1830 for the March 1 2021 board.

Here is the rundown for me. I submitted for 1830 as #1 and 1810 as #2. This is my first time applying.

Service: Active Duty Navy, CTR1
Time in Service: 5.5 years (Waiver approved for CW TIS)
Bachelor's: 3.8 BA in Intelligence Studies
OAR: 49 (Waiver Approved)
Appraisals: 1 Intel O6, 1 Intel O5, 1 CW O6, 1 CW O5
Periodic Evals: EP (E4), MP (E5), EP (E5), MP (E6)

Fitzou

Alright, so I got my package submitted 22JAN2021 (confirmed), and since my first post I made some additions/ learned some things so here's the final rundown:

I submitted for Intel and IP (it's med cleared and going to the 1MAR21 board per Mr. Celestin), and I am working on a waiver for Pilot. My birthday is in April so commissioning would likely be just a few months past my 32nd, depending on when I ship. I figured I'd take a stab at it, the worst they say is no.

Service: Active Duty Navy, 8 yr STG1. EAOS is late August 2021 so this is looking like my only shot before I get out/go reserves. First time applying to OCS.
Bachelor's: 2.71 GPA, MS in Criminal Justice
Master's: 3.5 GPA MS in IT
OAR: 58
Appraisals: 1 Intel O6 (a former CO of a subordinate command), 1 Intel O5 (a current CO of a subordinate command), 1 IP O4 (EMO at my command)
Awards: JSOQ 2018, MAP to E6 2019
Evals: P, MP, EP, P, MP (the "normal progression")
Languages: Brazilian Portuguese 2/2, with NEC

Didn't end up getting any IT certs in time, had to rush this package in as it was. the deadline was more important than squeezing in the extras.

What I learned: people can be REAL shitty.

Story time: Wall of Text Warning

A fellow E6 has also been trying to get an 1830 OCS package together for a long time- total stud and he'll definitely get picked up someday. Anyways, he recently confided in me that his DIVO (1830) set him up with not one but THREE 1830 O7's for his appraisal interview- in one board. She had insisted that interviews had to be with O7 and above (wrong). According to my guy, he gave them honest answers and spoke from the heart when asked "would you take another community if Intel didn't work out?" He said "sure, because my first duty is to be an officer, and the IWC would be on top of that. And I would take a SWO/NFO job if Intel was unavailable because I want to serve"- the same answer I might give.

Apparently it was not the "Intel or die!" answer they wanted, and not one of these O7's even handed him back his appraisal forms, a couple even tore them up right in front of him. Now he looks bad and his DIVO looks bad for sending a "low quality candidate"...

So he comes back to work the next day just crushed, and his DIVO and another Officer run him through what they called a mock board (again, I fail to see why everything for his OCS package had to be a "board", this isn't an LDO package but whatever). This "mock board" was them just berating him for fucking up his O7 interviews. After that, his DIVO leaves the meeting and goes straight to our CO and says "Sir, don't even look at his package for another year". This is her guy that she's shooting in the foot! I thought leaders were supposed to help guide their guys and push for them, not hold them back?!?

So my man got screwed on the biggest chokepoint in the whole process: the CO endorsement. That's the one step that has no work-around/waiver/by-direction type of solution. And the CO will obviously take the opinions of the applicant's DIVO over an E6 whom he never interacts with. So my guy's package has been in purgatory while he gets yet another EP and continues to crush his job. According to his DIVO his package needs to somehow become more competitive before she even thinks of "allowing" him to apply. Furthermore, his DIVO claims a need to be hands-on for his entire process (wrong), and for him to go outside of her control would be seen as insubordinate (super wrong). It sounds like she's trying to control him vs guide him and it's making the simple things way too hard. My man needs 2-3 interviews and he's in. Everything else is done, and is better than my stats.

I showed him the instruction and we found numerous contradictions to his DIVO's word. Our solution is for him to just go out on his own to use my contacts for his appraisal interviews, and if his CoC gets pissy then we'll just have to get out the instruction and show them why they're wrong.

TLDR: Beware shitty application guidance from superiors who "know what they're talking about", have a need to control every part of the application process, are unwilling to prep their guys for high-grade interviews, but are willing to kneecap their own guys because their pride is hurt when that interview goes south. And be ready to take charge of your destiny and piss those individuals off to get to where you want to go.

I'm sorry but this entire story doesn't sound plausible. Something else had to happen in his interview for such a harsh response. Simply saying he wanted to be an Officer wouldn't set off 3 Admirals.

Fitzou

I got an email from Mr. Celestin a few days ago that my package was confirmed and my name is on the board list for CW 1810 and INTEL 1830 for the March 1 2021 board.

Here is the rundown for me. I submitted for 1830 as #1 and 1810 as #2. This is my first time applying.

Service: Active Duty Navy, CTR1
Time in Service: 5.5 years (Waiver approved for CW TIS)
Bachelor's: 3.8 BA in Intelligence Studies
OAR: 49 (Waiver Approved)
Appraisals: 1 Intel O6, 1 Intel O5, 1 CW O6, 1 CW O5
Periodic Evals: EP (E4), MP (E5), EP (E5), MP (E6)

Good luck, I would retake the OAR and resubmit if you aren't selected.

zarevich

I'm sorry but this entire story doesn't sound plausible. Something else had to happen in his interview for such a harsh response. Simply saying he wanted to be an Officer wouldn't set off 3 Admirals.
Had the same thought, I was asked from die hard Intel officers on my interview the same question and I answered how I wouldn’t mind being any other officer but Intel is my first choice because of my nationality and I believe it is a challenging and interesting designator of all others I am able to apply. When I received my appraisals I had perfect scores still. In their write up, they did mention how my goal ultimately was to become a Naval officer.

CWO_change

Had the same thought, I was asked from die hard Intel officers on my interview the same question and I answered how I wouldn’t mind being any other officer but Intel is my first choice because of my nationality and I believe it is a challenging and interesting designator of all others I am able to apply. When I received my appraisals I had perfect scores still. In their write up, they did mention how my goal ultimately was to become a Naval officer.

I've seen these boards go so many different ways that it wasn't unbelievable for me, though it was frustrating and strange and I wouldn't be shocked if there was something more to things. People are weird, and flag officers aren't immune to being weird.

I recall on one recent LDO (CW and IP) appraisal board I sat where some of the other board members wanted to grade the applicant not as highly because he had "good" as opposed to "excellent" PRT scores :rolleyes: My pushback was that the applicant was still in good standing and his PRT scores were not a negative mark against him in any way . . . it's not like he was applying for special warfare programs.

exNavyOffRec

I recall on one recent LDO (CW and IP) appraisal board I sat where some of the other board members wanted to grade the applicant not as highly because he had "good" as opposed to "excellent" PRT scores :rolleyes: My pushback was that the applicant was still in good standing and his PRT scores were not a negative mark against him in any way . . . it's not like he was applying for special warfare programs.

This just brought back some memories for me of a CPO I worked with who all he did was work out, consistently top PRT scores, PRT coordinator for the department, he was not the best in his actual job and not good leading people, but damn he could work out, and he applied for and was commissioned LDO, where he yet again was not the best in his actual job or dealing with people, but twice a year he would be out there leading from the front.