• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

IWC Board MARCH-01-21

NavyOCSHopeful

Ensign - SWO
I can think of a handful of reasons (like the "my work here is not yet done" adage), but I definitely understand the view of those like your uncle.
It’s really a personal choice. My uncle was an engineer, West Point graduate, combat Veteran, Airborne Ranger, Pathfinder, Jungle Combat Expert, worked at the Pentagon, and was a full bird Colonel. He probably felt like he had done enough.

u73829

It’s really a personal choice. My uncle was an engineer, West Point graduate, combat Veteran, Airborne Ranger, Pathfinder, Jungle Combat Expert, worked at the Pentagon, and was a full bird Colonel. He probably felt like he had done enough.
Yeah he's seen more action than hopefully any of us will have to. What a wild career.

NavyOCSHopeful

Ensign - SWO
Yeah he's seen more action than hopefully any of us will have to. What a wild career.
To put it in perspective, he graduated West Point in 1956. His classmate was General Norman Schwarzkopf, the coalition commander for the Gulf War. Schwarzkopf stayed in 1956-1991. My uncle retired in 1977. Another 14 years is a long time, especially when you had already given 21.

JDurkin

Y’all are lucky to be under the old retirement. I believe the new one will cap me at 40%. Either way, that 40% along with a retirement account will do me just fine.
The Blended Retirement System isn’t bad either. That 40% on top of a maxed out Thrift Savings Plan with the Navy matching 10% will have you sitting pretty good at the end of 20 years. Just make sure you jump on it as soon as you get in. Do your research on it and move the funds around so that you can make the most of it.

NavyOCSHopeful

Ensign - SWO
It’s essentially how the brokers manage the money you put into the TSP. Here is a good point of reference: https://www.investopedia.com/articles/investing/061113/breaking-down-tsp-investment-funds.asp
There are plenty of YouTube channels and websites that give some good advice on how to make the most of it.
Yeah, I understand. Target date funds are likely what I'd use in a military retirement account. I currently manage my own IRA, so I accept a little more risk in it. Wouldn't mind having a conservative fund, though.

NavyOCSHopeful

Ensign - SWO
Everyone at my recruiting office knows my number and I think they will start screening my calls lol. The PM said he is constantly checking because there are almost 20 of us at various boards.
My OR is usually pretty responsive, but he’s started to ignore my texts asking about IWC results.

Michael_J_Caboose

Squadron N2/N6
I dont think they would actively screen the calls, but they are picking up all the people that were under my recruiter who is out for a few months for maternity leave.