• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

IWC Board MARCH-01-21

Michael_J_Caboose

Squadron N2/N6
Yeah, there are benefits to going officer over enlisted post military life and many people plan to use that and just get out. For me, I would have to go out to 23 or 24 years in order to retire as an officer (10 years mandatory). So I could go out to 28 or so to finish out my time as an O4 or get out prior to picking up O4. Even still, I'd only be 47.

NavyOCSHopeful

Ensign - SWO
Yeah, there are benefits to going officer over enlisted post military life and many people plan to use that and just get out. For me, I would have to go out to 23 or 24 years in order to retire as an officer (10 years mandatory). So I could go out to 28 or so to finish out my time as an O4 or get out prior to picking up O4. Even still, I'd only be 47.
My wife isn’t too thrilled about me going to the military, but at this point in my life, the benefits, both short term and long term, are too good to pass up. And if I can retire at 53/54 with 20 years in, I can still work another 10-15 years in private sector or in a DoD public sector role after retirement.

I also really prefer a career of military service over working for some company eking them out a few extra dollars in profit every year. Do something that actually matters.

JDurkin

I wish that would be apart of the application process besides being a question during most interviews. 10-12 years would bring me to about 24 which I’m not against considering the 60% retirement pay and a normal Officer retirement age of 42. I suppose time will tell for us all.

NavyOCSHopeful

Ensign - SWO
I wish that would be apart of the application process besides being a question during most interviews. 10-12 years would bring me to about 24 which I’m not against considering the 60% retirement pay and a normal Officer retirement age of 42. I suppose time will tell for us all.
Y’all are lucky to be under the old retirement. I believe the new one will cap me at 40%. Either way, that 40% along with a retirement account will do me just fine.

NavyOCSHopeful

Ensign - SWO
Oh, you mean retiring after 20 years by choice, not by some unspoken rule. Just clarifying
For sure. If you can retire at 20 years with your pension, why not?

My uncle was USMA and retired with 21 years. He was actually on the Brigadier General list for promotion, but he would’ve had to have accepted a command in Germany. He didn’t want to leave the States again (3 tours Vietnam, ‘59-‘68), so he took retirement.

u73829

For sure. If you can retire at 20 years with your pension, why not?

My uncle was USMA and retired with 21 years. He was actually on the Brigadier General list for promotion, but he would’ve had to have accepted a command in Germany. He didn’t want to leave the States again (3 tours Vietnam, ‘59-‘68), so he took retirement.
I can think of a handful of reasons (like the "my work here is not yet done" adage), but I definitely understand the view of those like your uncle.