• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Interesting IAP's...

HuggyU2

None
OK, so I mix my metaphors. I'm probably somewhat dislexic, hence the reason.
Maybe I said this to the Navy recruiter, which insulted him: no wonder they wouldn't let me be a Naval Aviator!!

I realized I had done this on the way to work this morning, and knew someone would notice. Tough crowd, tough crowd... :icon_boxi:icon_zbee

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
While not an interesting approach (pretty straight forward actually), I made the mistake of requesting the full arc for this one. In a TH-57. BIG MISTAKE.
Which leads into the biggest lie told by Primary flight instructors . . . "You'll never fly the full procedure once you get out of Primary; it's just vectors to final." Right along with "you'll never hold." :icon_tong

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
I have found that there are only 3 reasons to fly a full approach or proc turn- 1) Training, 2) NORDO or 3) Sim/Checkride.

You can expect to do more holding in the civilian world because or either weather or sequencing issues.. The reality is that Military fields do not have the amount of Air traffic.. And weather mins T/O and landing can be much lower which slow things down and necessitate holding.. We don't require ceiling in our wx mins, just visibility.. For instance T/O mins are 500 ft RVR and our lowest landing mins are 600 ft RVR... :eek:

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
I have found that there are only 3 reasons to fly a full approach or proc turn- .....
You overlooked reason #4:

4. Flying in the Orient w/ Zip controllers ... "controlling". :)

Why do the full printed approach as depicted no matter what you request or what the traffic might allow, you foolishly ask???

Because that's the WAY it's printed and depicted, that's why ... it's "procedure" :).

At least, that's their "reasoning" ....

94984952iz8.jpg

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
Never flown over in the Far East.. Thanks for keeping me straight! I have heard that much Europe works the same way but also that most of the arrivals/approaches are simple.. (IE fly the Star as published till intercepting the localizer)

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Never flown over in the Far East.. Thanks for keeping me straight! I have heard that much Europe works the same way ...

ESPECIALLY the Vaterland, i.e., Deutschland. Ve haf veys of making you fly ....

veryinterestingnf9.jpg

Also ... just try and get a vector or direct routing from the Frogs or the Dutchies --- Viel Glück!

Junior

pilot
That'll change. Just wait till you get a run on the night page at the boat.
The holding in the marshall stack is quite different than "normal" holding.
Normal: "Hmmm, teardrop or parallel entry? How does the claw thing work again? What's our outbound course?"
Marshall: "Be on your altitude, at the fix, and commence on time. Do whatever it takes to make it happen."

HuggyU2

None
Holding: as long as you hit the holding fix within about 3 miles, and keep the entry turn under 5G's, I think you're going pretty good.
Only two times I've had to hold for ATC:
1. Penalty box in the LA Basin, at night, in the T-38. Yeah, right: as soon as I enter holding, I'm min fuel.... actually, when I takeoff in a T-38, I'm min fuel, single TACAN, and down to my last radio.
2. At PSAB, Saudi, in the weeks before the war kicked off in 2003. Coming back after a 9+ hour sorties, we'd often have to hold to let the fast movers land, since they were no-kidding-Bingo.

Single Seat

Average member
pilot
None
The holding in the marshall stack is quite different than "normal" holding.
Normal: "Hmmm, teardrop or parallel entry? How does the claw thing work again? What's our outbound course?"
Marshall: "Be on your altitude, at the fix, and commence on time. Do whatever it takes to make it happen."

I hold the same either way (AFU), I'm just not supersonic trying to make my push time in normal real world holding. Or trying to keep myself out of Iran.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the TH-57 have an ILS? If so, why the hell doesn't a tactical aircraft (F/A-18) NOT have ILS??

Oh, and while it isn't extremely difficult, it is definitely the most pointless and most involved approaches at NGP. It is the BANE of primary stud I4390 checks here in Corpus:

http://204.108.4.16/d-tpp/0804/00098VDYTY13R.PDF