• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Interesting IAP's...

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
It depends on the IP and stud...words words words...

Sure it does. I'm not giving Tiger a hard time for his ability or judgement...

But generally speaking, checkrides are a poor time to "give it a try", especially as a Primary stud. :D

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
I flew the Tacan Y in the sim and in the plane, and then flew the Tacan A at Rockport on my I4390 not because they didn't like me but because I was given the option and decided to give it a shot. They're both interesting approaches and make for a good challenge. I don't think there are too many instructors that would force you into flying those approaches if you didn't want to. There are plenty of other ways to fail a student on a checkride without resorting to that.

I've never done the TACAN Y in the plane (done it in the sim- everyone does), but I've done the TACAN A at Rockport. It really didn't seem too bad at all. I think the TACAN Y is slightly more difficult just because you are IB to CRP, join the arc and then are OB and your DME-fu gets AFU. At least at RKP, you are OB, arc, and then OB again.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Sure it does. I'm not giving Tiger a hard time for his ability or judgement...

But generally speaking, checkrides are a poor time to "give it a try", especially as a Primary stud. :D

Yeah, I'm with you and agree w/ your sentiment. But often times I see studs sweat the 4390 after doing fine on the last 4+ flights. Even the guys w/ prior time. I just tell them to relax, keep doing what they've been doing, and don't get all worked up. If only they knew what was coming for the REAL instrument check in Advanced (at least on the helo side).

phrogpilot73

If only they knew what was coming for the REAL instrument check in Advanced (at least on the helo side).
My instructor told me it was role reversal day. He was the stud, I was the IP. I had to teach him everything about instruments in order for him to pass his instrument check. I would have rather him step on my balls with golf shoes (not the new faggy soft spikes either) than do that one again...

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yeah, I'm with you and agree w/ your sentiment. But often times I see studs sweat the 4390 after doing fine on the last 4+ flights. Even the guys w/ prior time. I just tell them to relax, keep doing what they've been doing, and don't get all worked up. If only they knew what was coming for the REAL instrument check in Advanced (at least on the helo side).

Won't disagree, although I was on the road for the last 2 weeks doing the I4200 block (plus VNAV) and have been surprised myself. The first student I thought would do well... had some issues here and there, but otherwise had a good grip of Primary RIs. Second student got behind the plane and struggled to get the basics out (6Ts, turning the right direction for holding, etc.). Well I4390 comes around and the first student fails, the second student passes with no prob. Sure it's anecdotal evidence, but it still amazes me.

As for my personal REAL instrument check, the one in the T-45 was definitely a lot easier than the instruments we flew in the T-44.

And to add to the IAP discussion, how does one pilot nav to a point defined merely by a localizer and DME? Whichever KNGP approach that has Ducky is like that.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
As for my personal REAL instrument check, the one in the T-45 was definitely a lot easier than the instruments we flew in the T-44.

Yeah...No other airplane experience yet...but I'm begining to think that I will never know as much about instrument piloting as the day I got out of review stage.:D

tiger84

LT
pilot
And to add to the IAP discussion, how does one pilot nav to a point defined merely by a localizer and DME? Whichever KNGP approach that has Ducky is like that.

The LOC 31 at CRP is the only approach I see with DUCKY as an IAF. It's defined off of the localizer/dme as well as the CRP Vortac.

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
The LOC 31 at CRP is the only approach I see with DUCKY as an IAF. It's defined off of the localizer/dme as well as the CRP Vortac.

Ahh... CRP, yes. It makes so much sense now. That would be quite a challenge for a student.

tiger84

LT
pilot
Ahh... CRP, yes. It makes so much sense now. That would be quite a challenge for a student.

Looks like a fun one. Luckily we got radar vectors to the localizer most of the time, with an occasional arc like the ILS 13R at NGP thrown in for good measure.

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I thought Helos didn't fly on instruments though. ???

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot

I do it something like this:
Push the DIR button
Dial in ducky
press Enter twice
go back to super nav 5 and follow the arrow

If you are into torturing yourself or sans GPS or FMS, I thought there were always feeder fixes or cross radials that allow you to nav to loc/dme fixes, but I am usually wrong.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If you are into torturing yourself or sans GPS or FMS, I thought there were always feeder fixes or cross radials that allow you to nav to loc/dme fixes, but I am usually wrong.
Otherwise, assuming you are not NORDO, there is that magic word . . . UNABLE.