• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Interesting IAP's...

tiger84

LT
pilot
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the TH-57 have an ILS? If so, why the hell doesn't a tactical aircraft (F/A-18) NOT have ILS??

Oh, and while it isn't extremely difficult, it is definitely the most pointless and most involved approaches at NGP. It is the BANE of primary stud I4390 checks here in Corpus:

http://204.108.4.16/d-tpp/0804/00098VDYTY13R.PDF

The Tacan Y isn't any worse than the Tacan A into Rockport. Plus, it's a good way to get "bonus points" on your I4390 if you don't fuck it up.

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
"bonus points" on your I4390 if you don't fuck it up.
IP can enter it as a "6" now?:D........I was doing an Airnav sim here in Meridian when I was given a NORDO EP that forced me into NAS Corpus. I flipped through my plates and found that approach before the "easy one" (the Zulu app)....being a Whiting guy, I did not know about the approach but shacked it.....the instructor, one of the oldest in the sim building hooked me up with a bone because it was executed well and he never knew it existed. He was perplexed how I was shooting an approach off the CRP TACAN....talk about making life hard for myself.

tiger84

LT
pilot
IP can enter it as a "6" now?:D

I wish. It's really just a good way of showing competence/skill with little risk to the student. The IPs almost expect the student to dick up those approaches, so if you do it right it can only help you out.

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
I wish. It's really just a good way of showing competence/skill with little risk to the student. The IPs almost expect the student to dick up those approaches, so if you do it right it can only help you out.
That IAP is like flying a LOC BC...sux.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
If someone is giving you the Tacan Y on I4390 its becasue they don't like you.

I personally, never thought it was that bad...and what's so hard about shooting a LOC BC?:confused:

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
IP can enter it as a "6" now?:D........I was doing an Airnav sim here in Meridian when I was given a NORDO EP that forced me into NAS Corpus. I flipped through my plates and found that approach before the "easy one" (the Zulu app)....being a Whiting guy, I did not know about the approach but shacked it.....the instructor, one of the oldest in the sim building hooked me up with a bone because it was executed well and he never knew it existed. He was perplexed how I was shooting an approach off the CRP TACAN....talk about making life hard for myself.
The Ghost?

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
I personally, never thought it was that bad...and what's so hard about shooting a LOC BC?:confused:
Scoober...you are a superior lifeform:D....when you are single seat, flying a fuel limited plane with compounding emergencies and have to whip out an approach that is different than 90% of TACAN apps, then you would realize where I am coming from...it sucks....until then, have the FE flip open your plates and make the 2P make all the radio calls in your terti-redundant Sky-Pig:D

The Ghost?
Mr. Hills (Mr, I love the VOR and am going to fail your TACAN)

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
Scoober...you are a superior lifeform:D....when you are single seat, flying a fuel limited plane with compounding emergencies and have to whip out an approach that is different than 90% of TACAN apps, then you would realize where I am coming from...it sucks....until then, have the FE flip open your plates and make the 2P make all the radio calls in your terti-redundant Sky-Pig:D

Well done sir...;):D

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor

I only flew it in the sim, and while it was weird having the DME increase it isn't too bad. I did fly the one at Rockport (real world) at 180 KIAS (simulated wing fire in review stage - "We gotta get there now!!") which is movin pretty good for the T-44 during an approach. Unfortunately the vis really sucked and we never saw the field, I was looking forward to a really fun circle.

tiger84

LT
pilot

I flew the Tacan Y in the sim and in the plane, and then flew the Tacan A at Rockport on my I4390 not because they didn't like me but because I was given the option and decided to give it a shot. They're both interesting approaches and make for a good challenge. I don't think there are too many instructors that would force you into flying those approaches if you didn't want to. There are plenty of other ways to fail a student on a checkride without resorting to that.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
I flew the Tacan Y in the sim and in the plane, and then flew the Tacan A at Rockport on my I4390 not because they didn't like me but because I was given the option and decided to give it a shot. They're both interesting approaches and make for a good challenge. I don't think there are too many instructors that would force you into flying those approaches if you didn't want to. There are plenty of other ways to fail a student on a checkride without resorting to that.

Oh...so you don't like yourself...got it.:D

You don't shoot "interesting approaches" looking for "good challenges" on a checkride. It's not wise.

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor

You don't shoot "interesting approaches" looking for "good challenges" on a checkride. It's not wise.
Exactly, thats where you say "Hmm, well, lets do that ILS again, sir" :D

tiger84

LT
pilot

Eh, it was my last flight of primary and I felt like I had a good handle on instrument flying so I figured what the hell. It may not have been the smartest thing in the world, but it didn't backfire and I smoked the checkride so I'll take it.

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
Sage advice...it's all fun and games until you bust an altitude on an extra "good-deal" partial-panel approach that results in a below for airwork.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor

It depends on the IP and stud. He could obviously handle it and it sounds like the IP understood the score. Sometimes a challenge is the only way to not drive your pen into your eye due to sheer boredom.

I had my EP sim the other day (which takes me about 45 minutes just to figure out how to keep the thing upright). He asked if I wanted to do the arc on the very quick TAC 23 at NSE. I figured what the hell. Fuel fumes (so hand-cranking), no Tq indicator, and some other random emergency later, we touched down. At least it was something different.