• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Interesting IAP's...

nugget81

pilot
The KLN was cutting edge back when it was new. Believe it or not, there were people flying aircraft before 2005.

Yeah, I know. I used the KLN 89/B (new around 2001) before I even touched Garmin and it was a much better GPS than the KLN900 (new around 1998). It was much more user friendly. Now LORAN, never had the pleasure of using that one....Ever use OMEGA?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
One of the Tomahawks I got my private license on had a LORAN box. Never turned it on; I'm not sure if it even worked. Only time I've seen one.

Depends on when you worked on it. If it was in the last few years, it probably didn't. It went offline in the early 00's, I think (too lazy to wiki it).

Yeah, I know. I used the KLN 89/B (new around 2001) before I even touched Garmin and it was a much better GPS than the KLN900 (new around 1998). It was much more user friendly. Now LORAN, never had the pleasure of using that one....Ever use OMEGA?

I figured you were savvy, just putting it into perspective, especially those that don't understand how long it takes to get things running in a NAVAIR aircraft (and I'm sure I don't understand it completely).

Never used Omega. I was under the impression that that was soley for ships, but I may be mistaken. Maybe someone like A4s has some perspective on use of Omega, like back in the day when gas was $.10/gal. I'd guess that Omega wasn't practical for aviation just because it had limited locations for stations (more so than LORAN), but maybe not.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Depends on when you worked on it. If it was in the last few years, it probably didn't. It went offline in the early 00's, I think (too lazy to wiki it).......Never used Omega. I was under the impression that that was soley for ships, but I may be mistaken.
Loran is still alive but I understand it is again being considered for shut down in the continental U.S. It was going to be shut down but received a last minute reprieve due to public outcry and political pressure.

I had Loran in the Citation I flew a couple of years ago and it worked well. Basically like the initial non-moving map GPS sets that came out for general aviation.

I actually learned to use Loran the hard way at Mather (Loran charts, Master-Slave stations, O-scope to read the pulse, etc.)

We had Omega in the mighty Warpig. When it worked, it was accurate. But you had to watch for lane skips which threw off your position in multiples of 14 (I think) NMs. It was basically a on/off system for us that gave a lat/long.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Loran is still alive but I understand it is again being considered for shut down in the continental U.S. It was going to be shut down but received a last minute reprieve due to public outcry and political pressure.

Ahh, okay. I must have lost touch when they were going to cancel it (probably when I moved to HI) and never heard it survived. Interesting.

Hoorah26

livin' the dream
pilot
And it yet again brings up the question of "why are we teaching GPS???" You learn a GPS in the T-34 to move on to the next a/c that has GPS, a TH-57? After that, what are you going to fly with a GPS... a T-34?

If fleet aircraft don't have it, why do we train for it? It certainly isn't buying the IP anything (since we can't do LNAV/VNAV mins).

Don't forget about your t-1/e-6 brothers. I've been using that gps like its goin outta style:D

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Question about LORAN, I'm assuming it's the same signal that was used by boats? I know I had to learn how to navigate off of it when I sailed and it could get me where I needed to go. Looking back at it now, I wouldn't want to have to nav in the air off of it though.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
And sextant use, while we're at it.
Done that....a lot in my first tour.
Question about LORAN, I'm assuming it's the same signal that was used by boats?
Yup...

And in the P-3 prior to the Navy installing the Litton 211 Loran, we did it the same way as boat drivers. Deciding the best chains to use, reading the time differences in the pulse, plottting hyperbolic lines of position on the Loran charts, etc. The Litton 211 was a plug and play box that made Loran as easy to use as the interials (Litton 72s). Same control box & functions but a fix based on Loran vice a DR based on accelerators.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Question about LORAN, I'm assuming it's the same signal that was used by boats? I know I had to learn how to navigate off of it when I sailed and it could get me where I needed to go. Looking back at it now, I wouldn't want to have to nav in the air off of it though.

In the "modern age" it wasn't as bad as HAL describes. Basically just like using a GPS nowadays w/out the accuracy or the myriad of database info (although they had that too, just not to the degree that's possible now).