• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Interesting IAP's...

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
So...since I haven't flown since the first week of October, and figure that "Cleared what????" might not be a great response on my first flight in the RAG...I've been doing some instrument chairflying...

Came across this one in one of my pubs...
http://204.108.4.16/d-tpp/0801/00354HI21.PDF

What a riot! Anyone here shot this?

Post up some of your favorite/harriest/strangest etc IAP's.

HuggyU2

None
The Roswell approach you have above is nicknamed "the Widowmaker". It's a staple for USAF pilot training cross countries and out-and-backs. Roswell's great for training: approach and tower will give you just about anything you want. And when you land, they have a courtesy car, and a voucher for $1 Mexican food at a place down the road. A hole in the wall, for sure, but not bad.

montellv

Professional Badguy
pilot
I can reassure you that you will only see these approaches in the training commands. The hornet doesn't have an ILS and if they try to give me some of these I request vectors to final...or I don't file there (period dot...as they say).

Crowbar

None
If you enjoy flying an arc as the final approach course:

Attachments

• 05222VDTZ15.pdf
    276.9 KB · Views: 231

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
People who design instrument approaches should be forced to fly them to minimums with compound EPs.

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
The Roswell approach you have above is nicknamed "the Widowmaker". It's a staple for USAF pilot training cross countries and out-and-backs. Roswell's great for training: approach and tower will give you just about anything you want. And when you land, they have a courtesy car, and a voucher for $1 Mexican food at a place down the road. A hole in the wall, for sure, but not bad.

Yes, if you have had the unfortunate experience of doing T-1's at Vance, you have definitely shot "The Widowmaker". I got stuck there with a broken jet and the FBO actually sells "I survived the Widowmaker" T-shirts with a picture of the approach on back. Of course I had to buy one.

I think there are a couple of navaid switches and courses to dial in during the approach just to aggrivate students. I don't think anyone has ever done this approach because they needed to.

I think this is one of the harder approaches I have done, but I tell you what, the TACAN and ILS at NDZ is right up there for the confusing factor.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
... but I tell you what, the TACAN and ILS at NDZ is right up there for the confusing factor.

I like how ATC doesn't even know how to vector for that approach. I remember someone asking J.D. what we should expect. I think his response was something like, "Well, here's how I do it..."

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
I never actually had to fly this whole arc, but the instructors in the Inav class loved to make us fuel plan it out for the whole thing. Looks like you'd fall asleep flying the whole thing.

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Another interesting one.....uphill and on mountain. No night ops, and "Successful go around improbable if initiated past MAP" printed on the approach itself. Easy enough. DFIA.

MasterBates

I did the Widowmaker for my RI sim Check here at Kingsville.

"You shoot this successfully, you pass"

Did not ask what would be the deal if I did not.

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
I never actually had to fly this whole arc, but the instructors in the Inav class loved to make us fuel plan it out for the whole thing. Looks like you'd fall asleep flying the whole thing.

Always just done vectors to that one myself. It prolly would take about an hour and a half just to fly that thing in a helo.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Always just done vectors to that one myself. It prolly would take about an hour and a half just to fly that thing in a helo.

Yeah, if memory serves, I think for a flight from Gulfport to there would mean about 1/3 of the flight time would be just on the approach.