• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Huntin' season is upon us

H60Gunner

Contributor
And, while not good to eat, these are helpfull when packing in and out. This is Shelly the Mule, my most excellent riding and packing mule.

ShellyMule.jpg

Pugs

Back from the range
None
Last weekend in TN. Seems a .257 110gr Accubond behind the ear didn't agree with him. :)

img1156p.jpg

H60Gunner

Contributor
Last weekend in TN. Seems a .257 110gr Accubond behind the ear didn't agree with him. :)

Cool! .257 Roberts? Hunted pigs when I was in Moffett and Pearl Harbor, both places produced poor tasting pork. How is TN swine?

Godspeed

His blood smells like cologne.
pilot
Hunted pigs when I was in Moffett and Pearl Harbor, both places produced poor tasting pork. How is TN swine?

That's why I do my hunting here:

albertsons-new-meat.jpg

Why?

• It's cheaper.
  • The meat tastes better.
  • I don't have to gut it.
  • I don't have to haul it.

Hunting just seems like a lot of unnecessary work. I don't think I'll ever quite understand it. :D

Pugs

Back from the range
None
Cool! .257 Roberts? Hunted pigs when I was in Moffett and Pearl Harbor, both places produced poor tasting pork. How is TN swine?

Yep, .257 Bob (the cutting edge of 1920 cartridge design :D ) . MRC short action, Lilja barrel, McMillian carbon fiber stock and a Leupold 2.5-8x33, whole thing is Cerracoated. Built it a couple years ago as my all-weather deer rifle but only wacked pigs so far. Maybe a whitetail next week in VA or an Axis in TX will change that.

This one should be good. He's a a boar but not too big, about 160 lbs. Trim the fat off and low and slow cooking on the grill or the smoker with a good rub will do them wonders. Also taking one of the hams in for curing Virginia style and I'll likely grind a bunch and make breakfast and some other types of sausage.

H60Gunner

Contributor
That's why I do my hunting here:

Why?

• It's cheaper.

Hunting just seems like a lot of unnecessary work. I don't think I'll ever quite understand it. :D

I love guys like you! Please stay out of the woods it is waaaayyyy too much work. Btw, that is why I have pack stock! Makes the hauling part a little easier. And maybe taste is relative but, I'll take a lower quality cut of Elk over any cut of beef.

Enjoy your hormone infested, antibiotic injected mass produced protien.:D

H60Gunner

Contributor
Yep, .257 Bob (the cutting edge of 1920 cartridge design :D ) . MRC short action, Lilja barrel, McMillian carbon fiber stock and a Leupold 2.5-8x33, whole thing is Cerracoated.

Nice deer rifle!

This one should be good. He's a a boar but not too big, about 160 lbs. Trim the fat off and low and slow cooking on the grill or the smoker with a good rub will do them wonders. Also taking one of the hams in for curing Virginia style and I'll likely grind a bunch and make breakfast and some other types of sausage.

Sounds like what I do for Mule Deer, stinky bass turds!

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
I don't hunt, but my old man does. I could tell the difference between a warm winter deer and a hard cold winter deer, as well as one that was feasting on farmers corn and another that was scrounging. Diet and environment/climate play a huge part on how it tasted, I can only imagine its the same for hogs.

MidWestEwo

None
I don't hunt, but my old man does. I could tell the difference between a warm winter deer and a hard cold winter deer, as well as one that was feasting on farmers corn and another that was scrounging. Diet and environment/climate play a huge part on how it tasted, I can only imagine its the same for hogs.

Thats what is good about hunting deer in Ohio. You can't drive 5 minutes without running into a massive corn field. Most of them are so fat on corn, there is hardly any 'gamey' flavor in them.

Lawman

None
Thats what is good about hunting deer in Ohio. You can't drive 5 minutes without running into a massive corn field. Most of them are so fat on corn, there is hardly any 'gamey' flavor in them.

Downside... no Rifles.

Pugs

Back from the range
None
Downside... no Rifles.

True, but after buying an inline muzzloader (TC Omega) I'll never pick up a slug gun again. No problem out to 200 yards and even with rifle most of my deer are from 160 yds to 12 yds the last few years

Flugelman

Contributor
Why?

• It's cheaper.

If I ever sat down to figger out how much that pound of dove breast or crappie really cost me, I'd probaly just shoot myself. :eek: :D

MidWestEwo

None
Downside... no Rifles.

I agree, however I have never hunted with a rifle before so I am fairly accustomed to getting in close for the kill. The closest I got to using a rifle was last year when I shot my antler-less buck with an open site muzzle loader. The shot was still only about 50-60 yards away though. I have had visions of posting up in a corner of a big corn field with my 30-06 or 30-30 that I inherited from my grandpa and being able to cover both lanes of that field. Seems almost like cheating though...:icon_nav_

MidWestEwo

None
If I ever sat down to figger out how much that pound of dove breast or crappie really cost me, I'd probaly just shoot myself. :eek: :D

I am in it to be out in the woods personally. If I shoot a deer, it is an added bonus..until I have to drag the sob out of the woods. At that point, the fun stops.

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
And, while not good to eat, these are helpfull when packing in and out. This is Shelly the Mule, my most excellent riding and packing mule.

ShellyMule.jpg

Stupid question:

How does the Mule deal with gunfire / being quiet? Or do you keep it elsewhere 'til it's needed?