• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Huntin' season is upon us

RockyMtnNFO

None
Contributor
I know I am chiming in late here, but my season has been modestly fruitful so far. Three weeks ago my son and I wne to a friends ranch here in central Florida. We were hunting for quail and hogs. No quail, but I got a fair shot at a hog trotting through the woods. My Mauser sporter has a new scope and I am not comfortable with the load I am using; that and I just plain missed the 50 yard shot. It was humbling to have my son watching. I did, however, drop a nice drake woody that we jumped at the end of the day. I also got my Wirehaired Pointing Griffon used to gunfire-a big hurdle for any hunting dog. We saw a few hundred Turkeys and will be back in the spring to drop a Tom.

H60Gunner

Contributor
Stupid question:

How does the Mule deal with gunfire / being quiet? Or do you keep it elsewhere 'til it's needed?

That Mule does fine with gunfire. She is very calm and easy to handle I have only owned her for 2yrs, I know her previous owner and her history very well. She has been roped off of, packed elk, won trail challenges, and is only 9yrs old.

Being quiet- Not always what people think, I have approached more animals riding equines than walking. For whatever reason, deer, moose and elk don't seem to spook when they see another hooved animal.

Sometimes I hunt strictly on foot, other times I ride to an area, tie them off and hunt. Here is how I keep equines in basecamp:
P9140027.jpg

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
Being quiet- Not always what people think, I have approached more animals riding equines than walking. For whatever reason, deer, moose and elk don't seem to spook when they see another hooved animal.

My guess is they tell the difference between a human (threat) and another herbivore (non-threat).

Humans make a very distinct sound when we move...

H60Gunner

Contributor
Hunting this weekend

Shot a couple of these.

PA010004.jpg

Picked about 5lbs of these.

PA010005.jpg

My buddy had a tag and shot this big guy.

PA010012.jpg

Quarters hanging in camp.

PA020017.jpg

Not a bad weekend!!!!

Boomhower

Shoot, man, it's that dang ol' internet
None
Got this guy a few weeks ago outside of Buffalo, Wyoming. Awesome stalk and then I stood 30 yards away from him for an hour and a half waiting for him to stand up. When he stood up he looked right at me for a minute or two. Then he looked away for a second and I drew my bow but didn't have it up when he stared at me again. I had to stand at full draw for a full minute. Bow hunters on here know how tough that is. He then looked away for a second and I got my bow up, then he looked right at me AGAIN! I normally don't want to shoot with a deer looking at me, but it was now or never. Pulled the trigger and double lunged him. He made it about 200 yards (muleys are TOUGH!) into a ravine. Dragging him out of that ravine sucked (muleys are HEAVY, too!). We field scored him at about 160", but I'm sure it will come down some for the official measurement. But, he's big enough for Pope & Young.

Mule Deer.jpg

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
The boss and I are heading out a week from today for Colorado. Almost finished up with getting stuff ready. Last thing to do is sight in with new scopes. I got two Leupolds CDS models for our .300s. The company will send you custom turrets if you sent them: altitude, temp, ballistic coeffecient, and muzzle velocity. Pretty neat stuff, helps to darn near elminate holdover, assuming you range correctly.

Pugs

Back from the range
None
The company will send you custom turrets if you sent them: altitude, temp, ballistic coeffecient, and muzzle velocity. Pretty neat stuff, helps to darn near elminate holdover, assuming you range correctly.

I have on on my .22 I shoot silhouette with. Not bad, assuming the ballistics are all set but if I were going from MD to Colorado I'd sure give it a check at elevation. Here's what mine looks like.

dialtop.jpg

dialside.jpg

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
My first and so far only hog hunt with my boys. Taken about an hour north of Ocala FLA near Orange Lake. 4 pigs with a total of 5 rounds out of 6.8 SPC AR-15's. I shot the mean looking one on the right. Hog hunting is fun........

Hogs1.jpg

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
Dry weather and warm temps didn't help. At least I got gout while I was there, again.

Pugs

Back from the range
None
Last weekend in TN. Seems a 110 Accubond from my .257 Roberts didn't agree with her. That's OK, she's resting comfortably in my freezer now. ;)

allenpigclose.jpg

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Dry weather and warm temps didn't help. At least I got gout while I was there, again.

Dry weather, too warm, got gout. At least you had an excuse. No kidding, I forgot my rifle!!! Son #3 came along and helped load the truck. He brought down the two shot guns and a .22 (quail and rabbit camp vittles). I loaded up "the " guns and off we went. He later said that he told me another gun was left upstairs. Never heard it. We even sat in the truck and went through the checklist. "Guns" Check" We spent the first night. Went quail and rabbit hunting in the morning then went home. Three of my hunting buds worked it real hard for 3 1/2 days and took one spike. Effort over pounds of meat, I got the better deal.