• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Huntin' season is upon us

sodajones

Combat Engineer
Well, it's just about time for hunting season.

I thought I'd start Airwarrior's unofficially official hunting thread for the 2009-10 season

I bought a tag for deer-elk-bear-cougar. I'm very excited, this is the first time in the last 4 years that I've had the opportunity to hunt. I have both a deer and elk hunt lined up with the hopes that I happen upon a cougar or bear on the way - which is very likely in my home state of WA.

Any other hunters here?

Oh and for firearms content...

I'm using a Rem 700 in .300 WSM with a Leupold Mark 2 3-9.

Loaded her with 190 gr Bergers. Should do the job.

Pugs

Back from the range
None
Been out for dove opener - killed every bird I saw (1) :D

Squirrel season opens quickly here - toting the Cooper Classic in 22LR

Deer in VA 1 Nov - TC Omega .50 Cal Muzzloader - In Jan switch to rifle

Deer in KY 14 Nov - Good Wx Kimber 84M 7-08 (wood and blued with the 120gr TSX) / poor wx - custom 257 Roberts (all synthetic and cerracoated with 110 Accubonds))

Pig hunting in TN with the boys in Dec with the same deer rifles.

Pheasants on Preserves Nov to Mar - Win 101 20 gauge with Finn the wonder pup (who today turns 9 years old)

Deer Camp last year
camp.jpg

Finn and me three years ago (she can't hold her licker)
Finnlicking.jpg

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Didn't draw for Elk or Pronghorn. Got a white tail (couse deer) tag in SE AZ mid NOV. I'll have a lion tag with me as that is the only part of the state I have seen them and I didn't have a tag when I did see 'em. Quail is supposed to be pretty decent this year so we will get out on them with a duck stamp in case we jump some on stock tanks. Haven't seriously hunted squirrels since college. I told my boys we would scan some trees for abert this year.

Bevo16

pilot
Going to go after some west Tennessee white tail later this fall with the M1A. Going to use iron sights since Ultimak is dragging their ass getting the scope mount that I want.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
Been lucky, and only missed 4 elk seasons during my time in the Navy. One season was during flight school and the other three were early in my enlisted career.

Three years ago, with my youngest.

Austinandbull.jpg

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
Found this little guy on the side of the road on the way back to camp. Last day of season, 2002.

DSC00026.jpg

Scruff

None
Contributor
Bagged 3 Canadas on early opener last Tuesday using a Benelli M2. Had a decent dove opener 100 btwn 15 guys over a couple days. Browning Citori Gran Lightning for the little grey guys.

Oh and some of you whitetail guys need to come to middle TN to kill off some of the population.

3 non-antlered per day, every day, all season
1 antlered per day limit 4 per season

Its ridiculous.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
5X6, tlane 2.

This one has the most meaning for me. Fall 1996. Hunted all season long, just didn't see anything except cows. Last day of the season my BIL and I had decided to try one last evening hunt. He dropped me off at the top of the hill. Started snowing at 1400 or so; about 200 yards down the hill, somewhere near 1530, I crested a small ridge and saw nothing but brown bodies. Sat down and waited for a horned one to fit into this one opening....sunlight was about gone at 1600 or so. He wasn't the biggest on the hill, but, he was the most available.

Lasthourlastday.jpg

GO_AV8_DevilDog

Round 2...
Contributor
Ah, it is going to be nice enjoying these last few times in pheasant heaven. Already stocked up on Lead shot for the Nova. Opening day is a month away but I'm already hunting for spots and the way grasshoppers have been infesting everything around here this summer, it's going to be a good season.

H60Gunner

Contributor
Wapiti

Cool! A hunting thread.

I'm loading up my mule and one horse tomorrow, packing into some really nice backcountry here in North Idaho hunting Elk. It is stick and string season and the rut is just starting...... I'll let you guys know how it went in a couple of weeks.

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
Hi, I'm E5B and I can't stop hunting....

I hunt just about every season.

PUGS, what powder bullet combo do you use in your Omega? I've been using 300 gr shockwaves with 100 grains of 777 (pellets) and it's ok.

Pugs

Back from the range
None
PUGS, what powder bullet combo do you use in your Omega? I've been using 300 gr shockwaves with 100 grains of 777 (pellets) and it's ok.

I've been using the 250 grain Shockwaves and 100 of the 777 pellets and it gets me 2" groups at 100 so working fine. I understand that if your rifle shoots the powerbelts well they're an excellent bullet but i have two boxes of the Shockwaves so I'm going to stick with them a bit.