• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Huntin' season is upon us

jarhead

UAL CA; retired hinge
pilot
Went out this past weekend to a buddies ranch out in Edwards County Texas. The guy has too many whitetail but won't let people in to slay them. He has some Axis deer also...I got a decent size buck. Shot one little Whitetail spike also. Saw some turkey but never couild get a shot.

SF

Attachments

• IMG_1562.JPG
    IMG_1562.JPG
    149.5 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_1548.JPG
    IMG_1548.JPG
    157.3 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_1572.JPG
    IMG_1572.JPG
    111.2 KB · Views: 92

Rubiks06

pilot
That wasnt a fawn it was an Axis Deer. Are they actually native to the United States? I thought they were Indian if im not mistaken?

Floppy_D

I am the hunted
Anyone know of a whitetail spot in Florida, near Pensacola? I'm stuck in town this Thanksgiving, and I think I'll try my luck at filling the freezer. Ideas?

jarhead

UAL CA; retired hinge
pilot
That wasnt a fawn it was an Axis Deer. Are they actually native to the United States? I thought they were Indian if im not mistaken?
no, they are not native to North America. They are native to South Asia.

SF

Attachments

• IMG_1574.JPG
    IMG_1574.JPG
    69.9 KB · Views: 64

Pepe

If it's stupid but works, it isn't stupid.
pilot
Blackwater forrest, NAS Whiting Field are a few up here near Milton. You could also go out to Eglin, but they require a special pass to hunt out there.

Oh, and each place here in Florida has different seasons. So you're going to have to get online and look each place up.

Junkball

"I believe in ammunition"
pilot

Uhh, thanks for setting me straight? I guess you didn't notice the quotation marks around "fawn"
They're native to S. Asia; introduced to Texas in the 1930's... supposed to be great meat.

Boomhower

Shoot, man, it's that dang ol' internet
None
And the beauty of Axis deer is that, since they are non native, you can shoot them year round and use any means necessary to kill them. Hell, you could set up Claymore mines in an ambush to get them.

Now, to go pull out that old box of Claymores...

Bevo16

pilot
We actually used to go hog hunting with grenades back when I was growing up. I had a cousin who would buy old dummy grenades at military surplus stores and make them live. He was a gunner's mate back in the 60's and was a magician with firearms. Not all of it was legal, but it was a whole lot of fun.

The funniest thing I ever saw while hunting was the result of 2 grenades thrown into a pack of javelina that was rooting in a clearing. 18 dead hogs with one big bang. All of the wives of our mexican farm hands were making tamales for 2 days straight.

ryan1234

While I was down in Puerto Rico... near the Lajas Valley on the south side of the island... the locals spoke of how several monkey's escaped from a lab in the 70s and procreated... they harass all of the local people... a $5 reward is paid per monkey head. I don't really know how official it is... or exactly how it works... but I sure wouldn't mind taking my .308 next time to help out:tongue2_1

Lawman

None
Why do I have this mental image of you walking into some local government office and handing them a big burlap sack full of monkey heads and them looking at you in utter horror.

Pepe

If it's stupid but works, it isn't stupid.
pilot
Why do I have this mental image of you walking into some local government office and handing them a big burlap sack full of monkey heads and them looking at you in utter horror.

That would be priceless!

H60Gunner

Contributor
Well, I didn't get a dang thing this season. Neither did any of my buddies. The weather was dry when it was supposed to be wet and wet when it was supposed to be dry.

I started with a high buck hunt but quickly found that all the bucks had already migrated to lower altitudes due to lack of water supply this year. All the glacier creeks were abnormally low this year whereas last year they were abnormally high.

The elk season lasted 10 days and these 10 days happened to be during one of the worst storms I've ever seen at this time of the year. Strong winds, cold temperatures, constant fog and a constant down pore meant that elk and deer were bed down and not moving.

This has literally been the worst season of hunting I've ever had.

That being said, I did get some good, high-altitude-lake trout fishing.

Saw a doe and her fawn as well. They didn't seem to care about us being there one way or the other.

Mule deer, brookies, where were you? My hunting season is the big suck this year as well. Going after wapiti tomorrow with my muzzleloader.

ryan1234

That's what M1As were made for.... ... fast, smart moving targets with teeth, herpes, and hepatitis...

I'll letcha know how it goes