• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Huntin' season is upon us

jdnew

We had some real cool days last week. Makes me want to go get my waders and steel shot ready. I'm going to try to go home (Arkansas Delta) this year and bring back some green heads. I get excited just thinking about it. I believe Teals are in season starting tomorrow. Doves can only tide a person for so long.

Rass

Well, its not exactly "Hunting" but i wrapped this summer up with the largest red snapper i have ever seen. About 45 nautical miles due south off the coast of gulf shores i landed a 2 lb hard tail and didn't want him to go to waste... so i loped off his tail, put a hook the size of my palm in his mouth and sent him to the bottom via a 12 oz. This guy latched on immediately and gave my 30 wide tiagra a hell of a time. Weighed him on shore at 30 lbs.Picture was taken next day, right before i ate him :)

edit: Notice his discoloration, its due to several strong whacks to the head with a 2 foot cedar club. Evidently if you hit them hard enough their blood will rush away from their scales and to their organs. Funny how that works.

Bevo16

pilot
If you cut the little triangle under their neck, you will get the artery between their gills and heart. It will bleed out in about a minute and really improve the quality of the meat. Works really well for redfish too, just don't do it while wade fishing. Sharks come running.

Rass

If you cut the little triangle under their neck, you will get the artery between their gills and heart. It will bleed out in about a minute and really improve the quality of the meat. Works really well for redfish too, just don't do it while wade fishing. Sharks come running.

Great tip! Ill try it next time. I may have the opportunity to go one last time next weekend. That is if classes let up. Although i can see this causing one hell of a mess on the stern. LOL.

Bevo16

pilot
Best way is to put them on a stringer so they will bleed out in the water. Much less mess that way.

Scruff

None
Contributor
Canadas from last week....
geese.jpg

Bevo16

pilot
I have about 50 of those honkers in my neighborhood. They walk around and shit all over everyone's yards and my wife won't let me get one of them.

Scruff

None
Contributor
That reminds me of my days working at a golf course. Their poop was killing the greens so we had to "round them up" with sticks. Talk about looking like a jack ass.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
I've been contemplating shooting the ones that hang around the lake in my complex. I'm tired of stepping in goose shit every time i get the mail. Just because they're waterfowl doesn't mean they aren't a nuisance...

I might just let the 90 pound beast off the leash the next time they are around, consequences be damned.

Rass

I've been contemplating shooting the ones that hang around the lake in my complex. I'm tired of stepping in goose shit every time i get the mail. Just because they're waterfowl doesn't mean they aren't a nuisance...

I might just let the 90 pound beast off the leash the next time they are around, consequences be damned.

What type of dog do you have?

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Boxer.

Very very big boxer. Wouldn't be the first time he's murdered a bird/small rodent. The only dog I've seen with a stronger prey drive was a Jack Russell. I don't get it though, he loves to kill squirrels, birds, rodents, but leaves tiny teacup dogs and cats alone. Good for me, I guess, but weird.

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
Boxer.

Very very big boxer. Wouldn't be the first time he's murdered a bird/small rodent. The only dog I've seen with a stronger prey drive was a Jack Russell. I don't get it though, he loves to kill squirrels, birds, rodents, but leaves tiny teacup dogs and cats alone. Good for me, I guess, but weird.

Mine prefers to murder boxers.:D

Attachments

• Gettysburg 024_800x600.jpg
    Gettysburg 024_800x600.jpg
    174.3 KB · Views: 77
  • Gettysburg 025_800x600.jpg
    Gettysburg 025_800x600.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 81

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
A little duck hunting on the Eastern Shore of the Chesapeake bay...
CIMG0257.jpg

sodajones

Combat Engineer
Well, I didn't get a dang thing this season. Neither did any of my buddies. The weather was dry when it was supposed to be wet and wet when it was supposed to be dry.

I started with a high buck hunt but quickly found that all the bucks had already migrated to lower altitudes due to lack of water supply this year. All the glacier creeks were abnormally low this year whereas last year they were abnormally high.

The elk season lasted 10 days and these 10 days happened to be during one of the worst storms I've ever seen at this time of the year. Strong winds, cold temperatures, constant fog and a constant down pore meant that elk and deer were bed down and not moving.

This has literally been the worst season of hunting I've ever had.

That being said, I did get some good, high-altitude-lake trout fishing.

8728_283360295509_536000509_9027514_5814663_n.jpg

8728_283362125509_536000509_9027562_755874_n.jpg

8728_283362130509_536000509_9027563_5809719_n.jpg

Saw a doe and her fawn as well. They didn't seem to care about us being there one way or the other.

8728_283363955509_536000509_9027597_2097014_n.jpg