• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Help!! Service Selection results: Wanted Air, told I'm headed to Nuke Sub... :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I agree, but I can't do much about it.

They are both engineers with outstanding grades at a top engineering university, so they figure that if the Navy wants to fuck them out of flying, they will just go make a bunch of money on the outside.

Though I get what you are saying (it wasn't long ago that I was in their shoes), the idea that the Navy is somehow "fucking you out of a pilot slot" is a little bit weak, and IMHO smells like a nasty bit of self-entitlement. If they aren't willing to take their chances and put in the hard work in the meantime to build up their package, then I guess they didn't deserve a pilot seat in the end anyway. Just my .02, FWIW

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor
They are both engineers with outstanding grades at a top engineering university, so they figure that if the Navy wants to fuck them out of flying, they will just go make a bunch of money on the outside.

Just as a clarification, it is impossible for the Navy to fvck anybody out of flying. That is because the Navy does not owe ANYBODY a pilot slot (just like they do not owe current, winged folks a seat in a cockpit). If you have a slot in training make some room for a little gratitude in your soul because for everybody who has one, there is a long line of equally (or better) qualified folks who never got the chance. If you don't have a slot then you aren't the first and won't be the last.

For the OP, I would make sure I knew what the ramifications would be before I turned down Nuke at the interview (for instance: getting jack-shit instead).

Ducky

Formerly SNA2007
pilot
Contributor
I say this humbly and with no disrespect intended.

It is very easy to sit there with wings on your chest and tell people tough shit sorry it didn't work out. Put yourself in their shoes and imagine all those years you enjoyed flying suddenly gone and no longer an option. For some this has been a lifelong dream. I fully understand the Navy will fill their slots and life will go on, but take a step back and ask yourself how you would feel or react if big Navy told a winged aviator that he is going to Nuke school tomorrow to fill manning gaps and serve on a sub. It would not be pretty, and only the most humble among us would be able to walk away without any hint of bitterness and the feeling of being screwed.

To those who feel they are being screwed:

It seems there are rough times in the numbers game that is service selection. Stay humble, but keep your head high. Respectfully convey your feelings and desire to be a Naval Aviator to those that can make a difference, but realize that the day may come when you may have to give an aye sir and carry out your duty even if it is not what you wanted.

For those who are lucky enough to get into Naval Aviation:

Consider everyday a blessing and feel lucky to be a part of the best damn Naval community. If you are lucky enough to get what you wan't realize that it was a combination of your hard work and timing. Most importantly remeber as was said before, the Navy does not owe you anything. We are all replaceable so cherish every minute of it; for in the blink of an eye it may all be history. You will undoubtedly see this happen to a fellow shipmate during your career, and then you will realize how lucky you truly are.

I apologize for being longwinded, but I have had the recent experience of consoleing an amazing friend and exemplary Naval Officer as he realizes he will probably never fly again; therefore, I get pretty worked up when I see people take it for granted or feel they are entitled to it.

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor
It is very easy to sit there with wings on your chest and tell people tough shit sorry it didn't work out. Put yourself in their shoes and imagine all those years you enjoyed flying suddenly gone and no longer an option.

That time comes for everybody - for some much sooner than they hoped (think DH and CO non-screens who can't score a station pilot job, for instance). Not to mention some of the guys whose platforms get retired, the guys who end up med-down, etc.

but take a step back and ask yourself how you would feel or react if big Navy told a winged aviator that he is going to Nuke school tomorrow to fill manning gaps and serve on a sub.

Not on subs and no nuke school (or extra money) required, but how about ships/staffs/IA's to Asscrackistan? Happens all the time - including to a large majority of your instructors.

Nothing wrong with your post, I just thought the above comments bear repeating in light of this thread. I'll also throw out the thought that one of the things it seems that a lot of disgruntled officers (from all communities) have in common is the feeling that they didn't get something that they were owed.

Whitingorbust

Man I hurt for you, as a fellow midshipman I know I have worked as hard as I could for the past four years on the dream of flying a Naval aircraft, and it sucks that you did the same and it did not work out. I would generally agree with many of the aviators who have posted, pointing out that the needs of the Navy supersede all and your a Naval Officer first, etc. The only thing that upsets me about your case is the countless stories I have heard of the Admiral at the nuke interview this year turning away midshipman that want to be submariners. I know personally three guys who came from a very reputable school (as in top 5 in the nation type university), and all three got turned down when they went to DC. One as soon as he got there reported into the Admiral's Office and was told to the "get the hell out" and that was that.

Now, I am not saying I am better at screening for sub guys than a flag officer who has been doing this for 20-30 years, but it just seems weird that the sub community is turning away guys who really want to be there at the expense of not having enough to fill their quota. It seems to me that a guy is more likely to make it through Nuke school if he wants to be there versus a guy who does not. Anyways, man I hope everything works out for you, try to get your aviation LT to work with you and if he has any connections he should be able to at least get you some good answers.

Birdog8585

Milk and Honey
pilot
Contributor
Lots of good advice.

Here's a nugget, when you go see the Admiral, look at him bewildered and say, "Dr. Strangelove??"

BlackBearHockey

go blue...
I apologize if I'm mis-reading this entire thread, but I was under the impression that big Navy can't MAKE you go nuke? Isn't your slot held until you go and complete the interview? And then, don't you just go to the interview, politely decline or give them a reason why it's not for you, and move on?

Raptor2216

This story sounds a whole lot like the guy who put infantry #7 on his dream sheet out of my TBS platoon and actually got it. The look on his face when the platoon commander read it off was nothing short of priceless. Fortunately, he's doing pretty well in his line of work at the moment...as a grunt that is.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
This story sounds a whole lot like the guy who put infantry #7 on his dream sheet out of my TBS platoon and actually got it. The look on his face when the platoon commander read it off was nothing short of priceless. Fortunately, he's doing pretty well in his line of work at the moment...as a grunt that is.

I thought that was supposed to be like the most competitive selection out of TBS....no?

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
It is. They must have had one of those classes with 60-something infantry slots. Even as the most competitive MOS, by the 3 month mark you can't find 60 people who would put infantry in their top 5. And of those that do, many stick it in around 4 or 5 and end up getting a higher choice. Then there's the idea that maybe the SPC just wanted to make him infantry because he would be a good fit, regardless of what the Marine actually thought.

As for the thread topic...I think this horse has taken as much of a beating as it can.

MAKE VAPES

Uncle Pettibone
pilot
I fully understand the Navy will fill their slots and life will go on, but take a step back and ask yourself how you would feel or react if big Navy told a winged aviator that he is going to Nuke school tomorrow to fill manning gaps and serve on a sub. It would not be pretty, and only the most humble among us would be able to walk away without any hint of bitterness and the feeling of being screwed..

If said dude had a sack, he'd go to Nuke school... Its waaaay harder than flying around the clown jet, earns you way more money on the outside, and as I said ain't sexy or cool (quiet professional); none the less dudes go do it. My hats off. Big Grey Floating Prison skippers go to nuke school as O-5's, are they getting screwed? They need skippers, there are other easier paths to retirement, they do it never the less.. again, hats off (for what that means from a peon like me).

Consider everyday a blessing and feel lucky to be a part of the best damn Naval community. If you are lucky enough to get what you wan't realize that it was a combination of your hard work and timing. Most importantly remeber as was said before, the Navy does not owe you anything. We are all replaceable so cherish every minute of it; for in the blink of an eye it may all be history. You will undoubtedly see this happen to a fellow shipmate during your career, and then you will realize how lucky you truly are...

This 'tude will make you a welcome addition to any ready room, lock it up and don't lose it!

I apologize for being longwinded, but I have had the recent experience of consoling an amazing friend and exemplary Naval Officer as he realizes he will probably never fly again; therefore, I get pretty worked up when I see people take it for granted or feel they are entitled to it.

Short of being a former E-6/E-7 be careful of making a qualifier like exemplary Naval Officer (I know you have the best intentions, so don't take this delivery harshly). It sounds slightly silly from someone who probably has been in the Navy for under two years and has never lead anyone anywhere under any circumstances. Sucks, but not all are cut out for this business. FAR Better to be a live ship or helo driver than a dead cool go faster jet kung foo masta. Keep consoling your friend, time will ease the sting and it ain't the end o the world. It isn't the end of one dream, make it the beginning of another (what I told many a attrite in the OPSO office). wicked long post... im out!

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
...but I was under the impression that big Navy can't MAKE you go nuke?

There needs to be a distinction made here... Nuke applies to SWO and to Submarines.

Submarines/SEALs/EOD/Diver are all strictly voluntary, meaning the Navy cannot force you to go in to any of these communities...

Status
Not open for further replies.