• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Help!! Service Selection results: Wanted Air, told I'm headed to Nuke Sub... :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Also, think of your service selection like my friend who ultimately chose subs over aviation. He has a PPL and this summer was getting instrument rated. He figured he can fly on his own time, but it's not like he can go take out a sub for kicks over the weekend. While you may not get to experience the uniqueness of military flight, you can still be a pilot and maybe at some point even get paid to do it, just not now. You have a once in a lifetime experience ahead of you, so try to make the most of it, though I can understand why you're very disappointed (I would be too).

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Seriously, if you're complaining about not being aviation/nfo and not being swo/nuke/sub/etc, you deserve to be punched in the face.

We're you guaranteed a flight slot when interviewed by your recruiter while applying for a scholarship? No. So then why are you acting as if you were guaranteed one and got screwed over?

I bet you a majority of NROTC applicants, when writing their essays mention that the reason why they want to be a part of the Navy/Marine Corps is because they want to serve their country, not because they wanted to be pilots, etc etc. I know I certainly wrote that and what some of my colleagues did too. So, you're given the opportunity to serve your country, only in a different capacity then desired, what's the problem?

I for one wanted aviation first, NFO second, but ended up service selected SWO. Was I bummed out? Yeah, a bit at first, but immediately afterward I moved on. I realized that regardless of what I selected, I will still be a part of what I wanted to be for quite sometime, a United States Naval Officer. I still have a job waiting for me when I graduate and will still be given the opporunity to represent my community as I serve my country. Different job, same satisfaction.

After thinking for quite sometime, maybe this job is meant for me, who knows?. You know how the saying goes, "everything pans out in the end". I surely think it does.

snake020

Contributor
Submarines/SEALs/EOD/Diver are all strictly voluntary, meaning the Navy cannot force you to go in to any of these communities...

Out of supply school, becoming a chop is on a sub is voluntary. However, in the past they have twisted arms... given the choice between a minesweeper in Corpus and a fast attack out of San Diego or Pearl, most chose the latter.

But I digress; to the OP: the name of the game is needs of the Navy. Needs of the Navy. Needs of the Navy. When I got NPQ'd out of API, I did not have supply on my redesignation list, yet here I am. So far the schoolhouse has shown me it's not as bad as I thought it would be, but if I happen to not like it and punch out when my time is up I am definitely getting skills and experience that will translate well to the outside while also like JFK, having a good deal of pride and satisfaction in having served in the Navy.

While aviation may be your dream and you should fight for your selection and future, remember at the end of the day the Navy does not serve as a welfare platform for you to become a trained pilot. You are merely filling a cog in the machine that is the Fleet, and if that happens to be a ticket to Pensacola, lucky for you; if the needs at the time dictate more nukes, then suck it up, do your job well, and if you don't like it you can get out and use the nuke education the Navy provided you to your advantage. Either way, you are getting good opportunities which many of your college peers who aren't serving are not, and you are serving the needs of your nation's military.

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Allright everyone - the point to the OP is clear, so let's stop the dogpile. The thread has run it's course, let it die.

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
True, we don't know the outcome, but do you expect him to post again after this assbeating thread?

Status
Not open for further replies.