• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Help!! Service Selection results: Wanted Air, told I'm headed to Nuke Sub... :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

A267839885568

Hey Guys, I just got my service selection and im actually extremely confused and at awe.

Apparently, I put Pilot as first choice, NFO as 2nd choice and SWO as my 3rd and Nuke subs as 4th. However, when my selection came back ,they put me down as nuke subs... When I inquired about it, my Commander Officer informed me that I did really well so the navy chose me to do nuke sub eventhough I did not do the interview or anything that said I would volunteer for the nuclear submarine service. Everyone else got their first choice as pilot or NFO in my class and I know that I have one of the higher GPAs and ASTB scores of the group.

Does anyone know what I can do? Is there anyway that I can reverse their decision and so forth? I mean I did not even go through their nuke interview at NUPOC and my Lieutenant said that they have to schedule me for one.

Also, I thought the nuclear community is strictly voluntary...Im just wondering how this could've happened as I have shown no interest in being a nuke and for some reason, the navy decided to bypass my 1st, 2nd, AND 3rd choice to put me into nuke sub... lol Anyone have any advice?

Immy

That sucks....do as well as people who got their first choice but then get picked to do nuke sub because you did really well...

I thought the silent service was all volunteer? I'm sure if you explain to them your situation, they cannot force you to go subs.

Then again, my thoughts on the matter are worth absolutely nothing because I have no idea how it actually works.

Birdog8585

Milk and Honey
pilot
Contributor
I heard that that community was hurting and that is probably why. A Navy friend of mine was NAMI'ed out of flight school and they sent him nuke. He was a prior AO too; so I guess it's just the needs of the Navy.

Post this up in the SWO or sub threads and see what they think. I was NROTC once upon a time and they always tried to stress to the Navy guys to "not be disappointed if you don't get your choice because you are training to become a Naval Officer first." So be on the lookout for that round to sail across your bow.

PS - I'm not insulting your intelligence, but I hope nothing of any significance can come of that number sequence in your screen name - i.e. P.I.I.

A267839885568

We all had to put subs in as one of our top 5 choices. It was required for the service selection.

Yeah, thats whats weird is because for our service selection, we had to put on our top 5, one aviation, one sub, and one swo. Its not like we had a choice and for some reason, they picked sub for me eventhough I did not volunteer for it. I mean I was told the nuclear field was strictly voluntary, and I know I didnt sign anything.

A267839885568

nono I dont have a problem with that becuase I understand the needs of the navy will supersede that of individual wants. However, how is it that they put me in a designator that requires you to volunteer and go through an interview for when I did not volunteer or go through the interview? lol thats why im lost and confused right now.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Also, I thought the nuclear community is strictly voluntary...Im just wondering how this could've happened as I have shown no interest in being a nuke and for some reason, the navy decided to bypass my 1st, 2nd, AND 3rd choice to put me into nuke sub... lol Anyone have any advice?
Putting nuke down on your service select request sheet is considered volunteering.

EDIT: If you really were opposed to subs, you should not have included it on your request sheet. I know, you were told that you "had" to put it on there. Well, that was the time and place to raise the issue if you were adamently opposed to subs. Instead, you chose to comply and now you're chosen for nuke.

I would agree that it's unfair to put MIDN in a position where they feel like they will "make waves" and possibly incur harsh negative repurcussions by refusing nuke when its being pushed on them, but it's not the last time you'll be in such a situation.

Immy

That's shady..

So basically if you do TOO good you don't get what you want. Doesn't really make sense to me.

A267839885568

Yeah, thats why im really confused. I was told that I had to put it down on the service selection form (therefore not voluntary?) lol and then they said that because I had such high grades and due to my major (physics), the navy decided to place me into 1170 without me ever writing down that I want to serve in the nuclear community nor have I ever gone to the nuclear interview. Thats why im thinking there has to be something wrong there, and im trying to find out if theres any way to reverse the decision since I did put down pilot and NFO as my 1 and 2, and then SWO as my 3rd lol.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
Yeah, thats why im really confused. I was told that I had to put it down on the service selection form (therefore not voluntary?) lol and then they said that because I had such high grades and due to my major (physics), the navy decided to place me into 1170 without me ever writing down that I want to serve in the nuclear community nor have I ever gone to the nuclear interview. Thats why im thinking there has to be something wrong there, and im trying to find out if theres any way to reverse the decision since I did put down pilot and NFO as my 1 and 2, and then SWO as my 3rd lol.

Maybe the excessive internet laughing singled you out for nukedom...or the constant bitching/whining...either talk to someone who can do something about it, or quit yer bitching...please

Oh, and it is Nuc-yuh-ler...pronounce it correctly

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
To reiterate:

Told by whom? Did you ask to see the instruction stating that NROTC MIDN had to put nuke down on the service select? As far as the service select guys are concerned you requested nuke. It may not have been your first choice, but it was on the request sheet nonetheless. The minute you wrote that in, you volunteered for sub duty.

Like I said, I am sympathetic to the fact that it's tough to take a stand in such a situation when you think it'll end up getting you in trouble, but that's something you have to learn to do if you know you are in the right. Instead, you thought that you'll just comply and it'll be okay because they won't possibly pass you over for 3 other choices to get all the way to nuke, right? Much easier to just rely on that chance and bitch about it later.

stalk

Lobster's Pop
pilot
Sounds to me like the Nuke Draft has been resurrected (The ghost of Rickover lives). Happened to both of my roommates. One got NPQ'd out of it do to having his spleen removed after an accident and happily went aviation....Unfortunately this is nothing new, just the needs of the Navy.

Immy

Well, there's another thread in here saying you can just fail the interview on purpose and you'll be safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.