• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Help!! Service Selection results: Wanted Air, told I'm headed to Nuke Sub... :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
To reiterate:

Told by whom? Did you ask to see the instruction stating that NROTC MIDN had to put nuke down on the service select? As far as the service select guys are concerned you requested nuke. It may not have been your first choice, but it was on the request sheet nonetheless. The minute you wrote that in, you volunteered for sub duty.

Like I said, I am sympathetic to the fact that it's tough to take a stand in such a situation when you think it'll end up getting you in trouble, but that's something you have to learn to do if you know you are in the right. Instead, you thought that you'll just comply and it'll be okay because they won't possibly pass you over for 3 other choices to get all the way to nuke, right? Much easier to just rely on that chance and bitch about it later.

He's not lying. I saw the selection sheet for the current seniors when I was stashed. It said your requests wouldn't be considered complete unless males had subs somewhere on there and females had nuke SWO. Furthermore, to prevent the SWO and go types from stacking their selections, only one SWO option could be listed in the top 3; if they wanted more that one SWO option on there it could only go in the 4/5 slots.

Python

pilot
Contributor
To reiterate:

Told by whom? Did you ask to see the instruction stating that NROTC MIDN had to put nuke down on the service select? As far as the service select guys are concerned you requested nuke. It may not have been your first choice, but it was on the request sheet nonetheless. The minute you wrote that in, you volunteered for sub duty.

Like I said, I am sympathetic to the fact that it's tough to take a stand in such a situation when you think it'll end up getting you in trouble, but that's something you have to learn to do if you know you are in the right. Instead, you thought that you'll just comply and it'll be okay because they won't possibly pass you over for 3 other choices to get all the way to nuke, right? Much easier to just rely on that chance and bitch about it later.

On the service selection sheet that EVERYBODY has to sign it says that Pensacola REQUIRES nuke on the top 5. I can show you the official sheet if you like via email.

MAKE VAPES

Uncle Pettibone
pilot
Suck it up buttercups!

This isn't ALL ABOUT YOU.

Dude, you volunteer when you take the scholarship and sign the on the line. You will do many things in your future you won't necessarily think are so f**king peachy, eat the shit sandwich and give a shitty filled grin in the name of the higher cause. Serve something bigger than you, they wouldn't send you where you aren't needed.

Heart murmur almost sent me knocking on the Nuke door with invitation to interview in hand (sub service hard, isn't sexy but deserves mucho respect). Take what you've got, kick ass and take names (at whatever they hand you) and be a quiet professional.

Are you gonna underhandedly lawyer your way into the aviation pipeline and platform of your choice in the future if the swap comes? Don't be a wussy, man up brother!

vulcanx

Banned
The Navy can use a motivated person who gets in their community of choice far better than an unmotivated s-bag in another community. I don't think you should roll over and take it when it comes to service selection. By pressing for the community you want, you are better serving the Navy.

gotta_fly

pilot
The Navy can use a motivated person who gets in their community of choice far better than an unmotivated s-bag in another community.

I think vapes was suggesting that a good officer would not be an 'unmotivated s-bag', regardless of where he or she ends up.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
don't worry. they'll throw lots of cash at you to keep your mind off all the times you aren't getting laid, seeing the sunlight, or acting like a normal human being above the waters surface. enjoy nuke school, n00b! lol!

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
And guys, whether you're trying to be funny or not, please stop using that stupid 16 year old girl BS typing style

I agree but let us mods take care that big fella.

Two, welcome to the needs of the Navy program. I believe the Navy feels whatever if you put it down on your wish list, you must want it. Wouldn't have marked it down otherwise. So good luck with all that.

FlyingSquidz

there are a lot of people on here being a little harsh on you. you did what you were told, not knowing the possible consequences.

if you finished with a higher ranking than others, and they got pilot/nfo and you didn't, you have a very legitimate gripe. you may end up getting screwed, but you shouldn't go down without a fight.

stay respectful and take this up the chain of command. how far did you actually go up the chain until you were told to reject nuke at the interview?

personally i would address this ASAP, as waiting until the interview (whenever that is) can only hurt your cause and not help it.

keep us informed. good luck!

and as far as the kittah!! comments, i haven't laughed that hard in a loooong time!!! pretty much an inside joke if you don't know where it's coming from.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hey Guys, I just got my service selection and im actually extremely confused and at awe.

Im just wondering how this could've happened as I have shown no interest in being a nuke and for some reason, the navy decided to bypass my 1st, 2nd, AND 3rd choice to put me into nuke sub...

thats why im really confused. I was told that I had to put it down on the service selection form (therefore not voluntary?) lol and then they said that because I had such high grades and due to my major (physics), the navy decided to place me into 1170 without me ever writing down that I want to serve in the nuclear community nor have I ever gone to the nuclear interview. Thats why im thinking there has to be something wrong there, and im trying to find out if theres any way to reverse the decision since I did put down pilot and NFO as my 1 and 2, and then SWO as my 3rd lol.

Stop being "confused". If you want to understand WHY, it's because they need people that can make it through Nuke Power training and this* was a flashing light on your head saying "take me!"

*I had such high grades and due to my major (physics)

If you are confused about why they bypassed your first three choices, and didn't do the interview first.....In a "seller's" market with plenty of folks wanting Nuke Subs, they can be selective and say it's voluntary, but when not enough talent volunteers, they start shopping for people with right grades/major. The "mistake" you made was majoring and doing well in exactly what they are looking for so you did opposite of "Nukeproofing" yourself. I'm surprised nobody warned you that they'd come knocking at your door. In years past, USNA grads with right majors were forced to do interviews even though they had no interest. Sometimes, the interview is Silent Service trying to recruit, but it is a selection tool so you're not in until you pass it. Doesn't mean you will nor get your top choice if you don't. I agree you shouldn't wait for an interview to decide your fate. You need to engage your immediate chain of command first. They were likely told to recommend anyone that met a certain criteria. As others have found out even in Aviation pipeline selection and in assignments once winged, you get to announce your preference/choices, but needs of Navy prevail. That's why they dictate you put one of each community in your top five so they can see your desired priority. You're getting hung up on the volunteer part. Should've gone for the basketweaving major!

vulcanx

Banned
I'm planning on something like 1.SNA, 2.SNFO, 3.SWO, 4.EOD, 5.Naval Reactors

Hopefully that avoids subs.

I know of two fellow classmates who are quitting NROTC to get away from the Nuke Draft. It's demotivating a lot of mids.

vulcanx

Banned
That's gay
I agree, but I can't do much about it.

They are both engineers with outstanding grades at a top engineering university, so they figure that if the Navy wants to fuck them out of flying, they will just go make a bunch of money on the outside.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I agree, but I can't do much about it.

They are both engineers with outstanding grades at a top engineering university, so they figure that if the Navy wants to fuck them out of flying, they will just go make a bunch of money on the outside.

Therefore, they have red flashing lights on their heads saying "Take me!" to Nuke Power overlords.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm planning on something like 1.SNA, 2.SNFO, 3.SWO, 4.EOD, 5.Naval Reactors

Hopefully that avoids subs.

I know of two fellow classmates who are quitting NROTC to get away from the Nuke Draft. It's demotivating a lot of mids.

Unless they change the service selection form from this year's, that won't work. This year all males were required to have subs somewhere on their sheets.

MAKE VAPES

Uncle Pettibone
pilot
Unfortunate, but looks like short of being perceived as a possible bitch, (which might follow you around your career if you actually are one... there are things you can't escape), your only vote is with your feet!

Consider this, some other dude/dame somewhere, likely less qualified than you will be moved from aviation to nuke. You gonna do that to someone? Everything happens for a reason bro. I'd ask the question to my higher ups very humbly ONCE. Let the chips fall from there. Do your best, you are obviously pretty book smart.

Its ok to be bitter, it will fade with time. Once in your community it'll mold you, you'll look back at how silly all this was. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.