• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Help!! Service Selection results: Wanted Air, told I'm headed to Nuke Sub... :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

D_Rob

Lead LTJG
Well, there's another thread in here saying you can just fail the interview on purpose and you'll be safe.

He could just continuously say LOL during the interview with the 4 star. That might work, or he could speak in lolcat as well.

"SIR, I NO WISH 2 BE PART OV TEH NUCLEAR NAVY. I LIV 2 FLY!"

tbat15

if its you have to volunteer, i agree find a way to quit. it was your last choice so anything else they send you to can only be a improvement.

By the way how is UIC now a days? I graduated from there in 2004

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
He could just continuously say LOL during the interview with the 4 star. That might work, or he could speak in lolcat as well.

"SIR, I NO WISH 2 BE PART OV TEH NUCLEAR NAVY. I LIV 2 FLY!"

Sir, all yer base r belong 2 us, noob.

incubus852

pilot
I put down pilot as my first choice. I was called into my XO's office. "Hey, you're an engineer. You did well in school. They have too many pilots. Welcome to the silent service."

So I spent several hours that afternoon thinking, "I hate subs," and wondering how I had been selected for subs even though I hadn't even put it down as a choice.

Then I was called in again. "Well, I hear you don't really want to be a submariner. Welp, looks like you're going aviation."

Don't mean to get your hopes up, but this might be a practical joke.

And everyone else stop giving this guy a hard time and telling him to stop bitching.

gotta_fly

pilot
The two main things to remember here are that you have to volunteer for an interview (which you did, by placing it on an official ranking of URL communities you were requesting) AND you have to accept an offer from the Chief of Naval Reactors. Don't plan on "failing the interview" on purpose, because that's fraud. Go in, do your best, then respectfully decline the Admiral's offer. This has been discussed here ad nauseum; it's really not the end of the world.

And guys, whether you're trying to be funny or not, please stop using that stupid 16 year old girl BS typing style.

OP I'm sure you'll be fine if you handle this like the professional officer you want to be. Good luck.

vulcanx

Banned
You will have to interview.

You need to fail the interview and they will give you another choice. It may be SWO or something else, but you will not get subs if you fail the interview.

Tell the admiral straight up that you do NOT want subs. Be forthright and have a damn good reason why you don't want subs. If you have to, be creative, but no disrespectful in how you tell him.

I hear differing messages on how harshly they can punish you for trying to fail the nuke interview, but I know that if you fail the interview you won't get subs.

I put down pilot as my first choice. I was called into my XO's office. "Hey, you're an engineer. You did well in school. They have too many pilots. Welcome to the silent service."

So I spent several hours that afternoon thinking, "I hate subs," and wondering how I had been selected for subs even though I hadn't even put it down as a choice.

Then I was called in again. "Well, I hear you don't really want to be a submariner. Welp, looks like you're going aviation."

Don't mean to get your hopes up, but this might be a practical joke.

And everyone else stop giving this guy a hard time and telling him to stop bitching.
How did you make them "hear" you didn't like subs? Bitching in the wardroom?

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
You might want to start "laying" in a supply......sounds like you got your first figurative screwing and are in line for a few physical ones....

ky-jelly-4.jpg

How about a letter to your unit CO stating you did not realize you were volunteering for sub duty and that you are no longer wish to volunteer for sub duty? Still might get surface nuke though.

Ducky

Formerly SNA2007
pilot
Contributor
I do not know what your unit is like, but I would strongly condsider respectfully letting your superiors know that you do not want subs. There is no benefit in sending someone nuke only to have them fail out of nuke school several months later ;).

There was a guy in my rotc unit who stood his ground against nuke for several months and he is now in avaition.

It seems a little early to have your final service selection results. I would dig a little deeper and see if its not to late to change the package to be submitted. I know some rotc units have been pulling some pretty shady stunts to get their overachievers to go nuke. Needs of the Navy will trump all, but the worst they can tell you is no so keep asking.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
And you're complaining? Any choice you put on that piece of paper is game. That is, there are no guarantees.

Putting nuke down on your service select request sheet is considered volunteering.

EDIT: If you really were opposed to subs, you should not have included it on your request sheet. I know, you were told that you "had" to put it on there. Well, that was the time and place to raise the issue if you were adamently opposed to subs. Instead, you chose to comply and now you're chosen for nuke.

I would agree that it's unfair to put MIDN in a position.....

All right, do I really have to state the obvious? Get off your high horses and quit lecturing him about how he should have known that he was volunteering, he is a MIDN for goodness sakes.

This guy was told by his instructors to put subs on his service selection, just like I was told to put SWO on mine, and he put it down. Now I don't know about you all but how the heck do you expect a MIDN not to do what his instructors tell him in this situation? If they were like my instructors they would have told me to shut up and color. And no, that ain't exactly volunteering.

So step back and be a little more considerate, this guy has not been excessively whiny or saying that 'the Navy owes me' like others have on this site. He deserves a little more than 'tough crap, suck it up'.

As for the original poster, I would mention that you don't really want to go subs to your instructor. If you still have to go for the interview make it clear that you don't want to go subs, even if it means saying no to a 4-star, respectfully of course. The interview should be pretty short after that. Good luck.

A267839885568

Well, thats what Ive been told. I should go to the interview and decline the Admirals offer to become a nuke sub. However will that pop me back into aviation as it was my first choice? This is really bizzare and I have noi dea what will happen if I decline the admiral. Ive heard you can be separated from the navy, they might give you nuke swo, etc. My heart is still set on being a pilot and it seems like that dream is dwindling away due to this service selection result.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Well, thats what Ive been told. I should go to the interview and decline the Admirals offer to become a nuke sub. However will that pop me back into aviation as it was my first choice?

Not necessarily. You should have at least one aviator instructor on staff. Recommend you approach him (or her) discreetly (ie not in front of other staff) and ask for advice. Depending on who is making the decisons, they may throw you into another pipeline in need of warm bodies (see no 1 below)

All right, do I really have to state the obvious? ....
This guy was told by his instructors to put subs on his service selection, just like I was told to put SWO on mine, and he put it down. Now I don't know about you all but how the heck do you expect a MIDN not to do what his instructors tell him in this situation? If they were like my instructors they would have told me to shut up and color. And no, that ain't exactly volunteering.

So step back and be a little more considerate, this guy has not been excessively whiny or saying that 'the Navy owes me' like others have on this site. He deserves a little more than 'tough crap, suck it up'.

As for the original poster, I would mention that you don't really want to go subs to your instructor.

1. Welcome to first exposure to "Needs of the Navy"

2. That doesn't mean it's over for you

3. Remember to use "With all due respect" often when telling CoC and Sub guys you don't want to join their club

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
1. Welcome to first exposure to "Needs of the Navy"

2. That doesn't mean it's over for you

4. Remember to use "With all due respect" often when telling CoC and Sub guys you don't want to join their club

Much better advice than my simple sentence, this is the avenue that you definitely want to go. And while it may seem a bit 'bleak' right now it probably isn't. Sit back, take a deep breath and relax....and take an AW break for a day or two. ;)

navy09

None
a) Talk to your chain of command. Numerous times, I've seen people who were assigned a community they didn't want- some calls from the CO switched them into their first choice.

b) If that doesn't work, like others have said, explain to ADM Donald that you don't want to be a submariner. I know people have had luck with this in the past. Just be ready to have them send you wherever.

Status
Not open for further replies.