• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

[GUN] 357 or 45?

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
Apparently I have to spread reputation around before I give it to Gatordev again. Sorry buddy, but know that the sentiment is there. :)

Lawman

None
Brett327 said:
The latter is kind of tough at sea. :D

Brett

So this kinda fits into that "Pearls of Wisdom" catagory of never borrow socks from anybody, especially not somebody with the callsign "Spanky."

kls

Well as far as pulling stats out of my as squeeze I will leave that up to your mom. All you have to do is google search any of these things. Its all avaliable on the net. The local highway patrol switched from 45 to 357. The local cops went from 40 to 357 and the fbi does still use the 10mm. As far as ammo I use buffalo bore. Once again if you will take the time to look it up you to can find this company on the net. I shot remington hard ball ammo for practice it cost 11.50 for a box of 50 not to bad.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Fly Navy said:
I love my 1911. .45 is a great cartridge. The downfall is capacity. 7 rounds vs 13 rounds is a difference. I believe .45 ammo is cheaper than 357sig ammo.

High quality 8 round magazines for the 1911 are everywhere now. One in the pipe gives you 9 total. Not a bad compromise.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
kls said:
Well as far as pulling stats out of my as squeeze I will leave that up to your mom. All you have to do is google search any of these things. Its all avaliable on the net. The local highway patrol switched from 45 to 357. The local cops went from 40 to 357 and the fbi does still use the 10mm. As far as ammo I use buffalo bore. Once again if you will take the time to look it up you to can find this company on the net. I shot remington hard ball ammo for practice it cost 11.50 for a box of 50 not to bad.

Ad hominem attacks will get you far... especially within your first 5 posts.

evidence that you are wrong:

The standard issue handguns for the FBI are the Glock 22/23 (.40S&W) and the Sig P229 (9mm or .40S&W). The standard issue handgun for the DHS is the Sig P229 (9mm or .40S&W) which isn't even available in 10mm. The standard issue handgun for the vast majority of police forces is the Glock 17 (9mm) or Glock 22 (.40S&W) (looking for the link) Just because your local LEOs may have switched to 10mm or 357Sig does NOT mean that it is the norm or a better round. The fact that 10mm and 357Sig is expensive and harder to find is not because LEOs are buying it up left and right... it's because they are semi-exotic rounds that are not that common.

Issue Handguns
http://www.military.com/soldiertech/0,14632,Soldiertech_SIG,,00.html

Handgun Wounding Factors and Effectiveness - FBI
http://www.firearmstactical.com/pdf/fbi-hwfe.pdf

SDPD Forensics Study
http://www.firearmstactical.com/afte.htm

Reality of the Street? A Practical Analysis of Offender Gunshot Wound Reaction for Law Enforcement By Shawn Dodson

http://www.firearmstactical.com/tacticalbriefs/volume4/number2/article421.htm

Chuck Hawks article (well-respected firearms guy)

http://www.chuckhawks.com/beginners_stopping_power.htm

Independent Test
http://apollo.demigod.org/~zak/firearms/fbi-pistol.php

Some Common Handgun Ballistics:
Type, Weight, Muzzle Vel, Force
.357 SIG 125 grain 1350 fps 3.332931940 m kg / s
.40 S&W 180 grain 1010 fps 3.590678670 m kg / s
10mm Auto 200 grain 1200 fps 4.740169860 m kg / s
.45 ACP 230 grain 835 fps 3.793123430 m kg / s

Baseball 149 grams 100 mph 6.660896000 m kg / s

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
kls said:

Making friends and influencing people I see

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You guys got me so riled up that I had to report to the range and lighten my ammo box by a couple hundred rounds. :D

Brett

Pags

N/A
pilot
Brett327 said:
You guys got me so riled up that I had to report to the range and lighten my ammo box by a couple hundred rounds. :D

Brett

don't forget to use your sock :)

McNamara

Copilot, actually.
pilot
Damn, this kept me laughing for the last few pages...

My own experience is largely confined to the two 1911s that I own, but I also have experience with SIG's excellent 220 (.45acp), the so-so Beretta M9, a couple of H&K USPs (great but expensive), and numerous Glocks (I liked them too). I tried many types before I settled on the 1911. I liked my basic Colt so much I spent three times as much on a semi-custom Wilson. Was it worth it? Considering that it's never, ever malfunctioned, and I can hit a little better with it, I say yes. The Colt holds a special place in my heart, but it's failed me a few times with good factory ammo and quality mags (mostly when other people are shooting it with a poor grip, though).

SIGs are a close second to the 1911. The ergonomics and reliability are definitely on par. The deciding factor is that I find a faster, more accurate first shot is achieved with the 1911. Wiping off the safety and pulling a single action trigger seems preferable to transitioning from the first long, heavy double action pull of the SIG to subsequent single action pulls. With that said, I'd gladly carry a SIG if it was issued.

I used to worry about ballistics, but all the time spent researching that mumbo-jumbo and debating caliber can be better spent practicing at the range. Or finding new uses for tube socks...

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
McNamara said:
SIGs are a close second to the 1911. The ergonomics and reliability are definitely on par. The deciding factor is that I find a faster, more accurate first shot is achieved with the 1911. Wiping off the safety and pulling a single action trigger seems preferable to transitioning from the first long, heavy double action pull of the SIG to subsequent single action pulls. With that said, I'd gladly carry a SIG if it was issued.

Love the 1911, but I'd put the SIG ahead of it due to its ease of field stripping. Personal preference though, cause seriously, like we've said, you can't go wrong with either.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Fly Navy said:
Love the 1911, but I'd put the SIG ahead of it....

They're both top drawer.

If John Browning had lived long enough ... the 1911 would have matured INTO a SIG. :)

metro

The future of the Supply Corps
I agree with you on the field strip ease, Fly, and I gotta agree with A4s as well....and how much better would it have been if The Man himself had designed SIG's 1911 instead of SIG...GSR my ass. :icon_rage