• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

[GUN] 357 or 45?

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
A4sForever said:
They're both top drawer.

If John Browning had lived long enough ... the 1911 would have matured INTO a SIG. :)

Now that's the truth.

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
Anyone have any experience with the Browning Hi Power?

I have one and absolutely love it. Also, my Dad is a retired Sheriff and he carried a Belgium Made Browning Hi Power mixed in with a little bit of Ruger Security Six 357 every now and then.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
E5B said:

I have one and absolutely love it. Also, my Dad is a retired Sheriff and he carried a Belgium Made Browning Hi Power mixed in with a little bit of Ruger Security Six 357 every now and then.

Good guns, but if you want another one, get 'em now. Word on the street is that FN is going to stop importing them into the US soon. CDNN has some awesome deals on them.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
E5B said:
Anyone have any experience with the Browning Hi Power?.....
Excelent pistol .... but then, what WOOOOOULD one expect from Mr. Browning --- even though he didn't live to see its employment.

BrowningHP.gif

I used to collect Belgians and German-marked models --- sold 'em all. I still have one non-collectible Belgian that was sent back to Novak years ago for the "FBI HRT" treatment --- works perfectly and is a beautiful piece of machinery. 9mm ... ??? That's another story ... not first choice, but works if you do.

I also still have one Inglis Canadian contract (Chinese markings) HP with the original shoulder stock. Great condition (97% +) which is ususal for these models.

inglis.jpg

Lawman

None
E5B said:

The "1911 of 9mm handguns." Probably one of the finest guns to have as long a run as it has had. Really the one sidearm I can think of thats had a longer run would either be a 1911 or the S&W revolvers that made such a big splash as police weapons for so long.

Much like thier relative the 1911, there are more modern designed guns incorperating new ideas (UTL Rails, Ambidexderity, ect) but this is evolution not revolution. A fine gun for the price no doubt.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
USMC Philly said:
Anyone have any feedback of the Beretta 9000S Type F?

Awkward ergonomics, poor design, bad fit/finish, and shitty function. So basically, it's like every other Beretta handgun. Get a Glock 27, and XD, or a Kahr if you want a sub-compact .40.

Lawman

None
USMC Philly said:
Anyone have any feedback of the Beretta 9000S Type F?

You mean other then seeing one and thinking it looked like the misguided breeding of a Sig Saur with a Moray Eel?

Supposed to be a much better gun for concealed carry then the 92F. I wouldnt know from personal experiance as I havent ever tried carrying either weapon. They do feel lighter in the hand then the 92F, and seem to fit a smaller hand shooter better then the 92F (though its an akward shape to get used to and wont translate well to other weapons). Other then that I think you'd just have to shoot one and see if you like it.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Any one out there have any advice or experience with Winchester rifles (specifically .308 or .30-06)?

metro

The future of the Supply Corps
Av8or72Dan said:
Is a .45 the same thing as a 454? I shot my friends 454 revolver and it nearly took off my hand.

The .454 you are talking about is a .454 Casull revolver cartridge. MUCH different animal. Same diameter bullet, I believe (Fly or whoever feel free to correct that), but a MUCH larger cartridge, length wise, MUCH hotter load (more space inside brass cartridge=more powder inside cartridge=>bigger boom, faster bullet velocity; therefore, lots more recoil) :D Also, not sure what the grain/weight the bullet is in the .454 Casull, but I know it's upwards of 600 grains in some .500 S&W cartridges, so I assume .454 is similar. By comparison, a standard .45 ACP bullet is 230 grains.

I've shot .454 Casull, .500 S&W, .460, etc etc. All these high powered, high velocity revolver cartridges have ridiculous amounts of recoil. But that's what you get when you shoot magnum handgun loads.

Depending on the length and weight of the revolver, more recoil as well. Shot a new VERY short-barrelled .500 S&W, and had to put it down after two shots. Couldn't even make it through the entire cylinder. VERY painful, makes me wonder why the hell you would chamber a 2" revolver in such a hot and heavy load.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Av8or72Dan said:
Is a .45 the same thing as a 454? I shot my friends 454 revolver and it nearly took off my hand.

Nope, very different. Metro covered most of it already.

The .45 you usually hear about, especially dealing with 1911s, is the .45ACP, where ACP = Automatic Colt Pistol. It is a cartridge designed for semi-automatic and automatic firearms, i.e. it is rimless. There are revolvers chambered for it though.

.454 Casull is a revolver cartridge, rimmed, and a big one at that. It was designed for hunting applications.

Lawman

None
metro said:
The .454 you are talking about is a .454 Casull revolver cartridge. MUCH different animal. Same diameter bullet, I believe (Fly or whoever feel free to correct that), but a MUCH larger cartridge, length wise, MUCH hotter load (more space inside brass cartridge=more powder inside cartridge=>bigger boom, faster bullet velocity; therefore, lots more recoil) :D Also, not sure what the grain/weight the bullet is in the .454 Casull, but I know it's upwards of 600 grains in some .500 S&W cartridges, so I assume .454 is similar. By comparison, a standard .45 ACP bullet is 230 grains.

I've shot .454 Casull, .500 S&W, .460, etc etc. All these high powered, high velocity revolver cartridges have ridiculous amounts of recoil. But that's what you get when you shoot magnum handgun loads.

Depending on the length and weight of the revolver, more recoil as well. Shot a new VERY short-barrelled .500 S&W, and had to put it down after two shots. Couldn't even make it through the entire cylinder. VERY painful, makes me wonder why the hell you would chamber a 2" revolver in such a hot and heavy load.

Pansy :p

Some people like recoil some people dont. Ive shot plenty of big angry autos and revolvers, the differnce I noticed is that a heavy load revolver like say a .454 casull or a .460 Maxim puts a lot of impact directly on your hand. Feels kinda like catching a really hot fast ball you get the numbing sensation. A heavy loaded auto like a DE .50 puts a lot of recoil into your wrist by comparison. Not to say your hand doesnt suffer, but the snap from an auto will always be worse by comparison then a similarly loaded revolver because the revolver doesnt have the added inertia of a slide adding to the recoil.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Lawman said:
Pansy :p

Some people like recoil some people dont. Ive shot plenty of big angry autos and revolvers, the differnce I noticed is that a heavy load revolver like say a .454 casull or a .460 Maxim puts a lot of impact directly on your hand. Feels kinda like catching a really hot fast ball you get the numbing sensation. A heavy loaded auto like a DE .50 puts a lot of recoil into your wrist by comparison. Not to say your hand doesnt suffer, but the snap from an auto will always be worse by comparison then a similarly loaded revolver because the revolver doesnt have the added inertia of a slide adding to the recoil.

Actually you have that backwards. A semi-auto action will almost always have less felt recoil than an equal weighted non-semi-auto action, because the recoil action helps buffer the recoil. Shoot a bolt-action and a semi-auto rifle of same weight and caliber for proof. The difference can be staggering.

As you know, felt-recoil has a lot to do with gun design and weight, as well as the pressure of the cartridge. A high pressure cartridge (.40S&W) will feel snappier than a low pressure cartridge (.45ACP)

Lawman

None
Fly Navy said:
Actually you have that backwards. A semi-auto action will almost always have less felt recoil than an equal weighted non-semi-auto action, because the recoil action helps buffer the recoil. Shoot a bolt-action and a semi-auto rifle of same weight and caliber for proof. The difference can be staggering.

As you know, felt-recoil has a lot to do with gun design and weight, as well as the pressure of the cartridge. A high pressure cartridge (.40S&W) will feel snappier than a low pressure cartridge (.45ACP)

I wasnt refering as to the actual energy delivered by the recoil. And yeah, due to the recoil obsorbance of a rifle the semi feels less then a bolt, but either weapon delivers all its inertia along the same line. Where as a pistol has all its weight and recoil energy above the point of stability (the hand). Ive felt Autos have just always felt more muzzle rise then a revolver. The one exception is my P7, but that has a gas recoil reduction tube under the barrel (crazy German engineers).