• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

[GUN] 357 or 45?

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
kls said:
knock down power is what you want. If you want the badest semi you can get go for the 10mm 690 foot pounds of energy at 25 ft. can you say dead.

If you want force, throw a baseball at someone. A 100mph baseball has more force than virtually any handgun round. Hell, punch someone... a punch is more forceful than most rounds. Also, no gun shy of something on tracks or wheels is going to knock someone backwards like Hollywood would have you believe.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
Be carefull with Cabellas. I bought an 1851 navy in .36 caliber and it was put together wrong. I got it fixed but it could have been problems if I didnt disassemble it prior firing. The small flat key that holds the barrel to the rest of the gun was installed upside down, and the screw that holds that key in place must be on top so nothing was keeping the key in the hole! Definitely fun, and cheap. Uberti makes one of the best replicas, but they are more expensive.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Fly Navy said:
No, ft-lbs is a measure of energy. Pounds is a measure of force.

F = ma = mg

m is mass, measured in slugs.
g is gravity, measured in ft/sec/sec
F is force, measured in pounds, or slug-ft/sec/sec if you wish.

E = Fs

F is force, measured in pounds
s is distance, measured in feet
E is energy, measured in lbs-ft or ft-lbs, whatever you prefer (it does make a difference with vectors)

You're probably thinking of Joules, which is the metric measurement of energy, which is just N-m.

Thanks for the physics lesson. I realized I brain farted that one about 10 minutes ago. I feel like a real winner.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
WheelsUpHeelsUp said:
The Navy 36 is a sharp looking weapon BUT Id go bigger. The Walker weighs a whopping 5 lbs and that's a bunch, as much as a Winchester 30/30! A little less weight and bulk would be the New Model (argh) Army in 44 Cal, best looking pistol made to this date IMO and It will still take 40 grains of BP which is still legal deer hunting in some states. The 36 would be a bit light I think that is unless your name is Wild Bill Hickcock....he actually carried TWO 1851 Navy 36's!

Hey, if y'all are talking about old school guns, then I'd have to go with a Colt Peacemaker or an 1873 Winchester repeating rifle.

kls

I own the witness 10 mm and have no problems with it. As far as the 45 and 40s go just ask any law enforcment person or goverment agent why they have switched from the 45 and 40 cal to the 357 and 10mm. The 45 is a big bullet but it has no penetrating power much like the 40cal. The fbi did a test shooting threw a car door and the 45 and 40 cal would not go all the way threw. I have a licsence to carry a concealed weapon and went with the 10mm because I want to know that I will be covered in any situation that may come up. If you look at the gun shot reports from last year you will see what caliber does what it needs to. Over 50% of victims shot with a 9mm lived.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
kls said:
I own the witness 10 mm and have no problems with it. As far as the 45 and 40s go just ask any law enforcment person or goverment agent why they have switched from the 45 and 40 cal to the 357 and 10mm. The 45 is a big bullet but it has no penetrating power much like the 40cal. The fbi did a test shooting threw a car door and the 45 and 40 cal would not go all the way threw. I have a licsence to carry a concealed weapon and went with the 10mm because I want to know that I will be covered in any situation that may come up. If you look at the gun shot reports from last year you will see what caliber does what it needs to. Over 50% of victims shot with a 9mm lived.

Most bullets will penetrate a car door. It's getting through the reinforcing members that's the hard part. A car door is nothing more than sheet metal. Car doors are NOT cover, they are concealment.

As far as surviving being shot by certain cartridges, show me your reference. I also want to know what bullets were used. You spewed it, now back it up. It's not that I don't necessarily believe you, but it sounds to me that you are using the old anecdotal FMJ stats.

As far as being shot, if you can get to a hospital relatively quickly, 80% of single chest shots are survivable.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
kls said:

:thumbdn_1

For someone who supposedly carries a gun and speaks authoritatively on the subject, you really don't know much about ballistics, wounds, or issue weapons. Perhaps you should do actual research before pulling facts out of your ass.

Reactions: E5B

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
xmid said:
.22 is also the easiest round to quiet. .22 sub-sonic is barely louder than a pellet gun. I put a roll of tube socks over the end of the barrel ....

I knew a guy on deployment who put a tube sock on the end of his barrel, but you didn't want to touch the sock afterwards.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
gatordev said:
I knew a guy on deployment who put a tube sock on the end of his barrel, but you didn't want to touch the sock afterwards.

anim_lol.gif

Points.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
gatordev said:
I recommend "Prot Out" for those tough protein stains.

Brett

Lawman

None
kls said:

Id be interested to hear of any LE agency that went to 10mm. I cant think of a single department in any of the areas Ive worked for that has them authorized much less issued. As far as what they allow, we were given the option of 9x19mm, .40SW, or 45ACP at the Academy. Funny enough most of the guys that showed up with .45ACP shouldnt have been firing something smaller but they used that caliber not because it was superior in any way to the smaller higher velocity rounds, but because they had a need to feel like they were shooting a cannon and not "a pussy little 9mm."

By the way, you never shoot to kill, you shoot to stop a threat. So whether or not the bad guy lived doesnt mean jack. You can live and still spend the rest of your life wheelchair bound crapping in a bag because the bullet severed your upper spine, if thats what happened to him instead of death I dont care so long as I go home at night.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Brett327 said:
I recommend "Prot Out" for those tough protein stains.

Brett

Wrong thread. I think you're supposed to tell me that in my lubed barrel thread. Besides, I said "knew a guy," not "'knew' a guy." I think you'll appreciate the distinction.