• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

[GUN] 357 or 45?

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Ok...

So pretty soon, I'm going to invest in a handgun. My dilema: .357 or .45

I'm looking at Sig's 357 or the 1911. I've fired and like both.

If any of you in AW-land own one or the other (or both), I'm looking for input and pro's/cons to each weapon. Also recommendations on other handguns that I might like.

I'll just be using them to fire on the weekends for fun and stress relief and such.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
Man, there have been a lot of gun threads recently. I'd go with the .45 because they're cool.

I now open up the floor to those who have more important things to say.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
TheBubba said:
Ok...

So pretty soon, I'm going to invest in a handgun. My dilema: .357 or .45

I'm looking at Sig's 357 or the 1911. I've fired and like both.

If any of you in AW-land own one or the other (or both), I'm looking for input and pro's/cons to each weapon. Also recommendations on other handguns that I might like.

I'll just be using them to fire on the weekends for fun and stress relief and such.
I'm having the same debate for my next pistol. I'm in, budget unlimited for all practical purposes.

Brett

Lawman

None
I take it since you like both the 1911 and anything manufactured by SIG your a right handed shooter..... lucky you. But yeah if your looking for just shooting up paper.... and I think this is the only time Ive ever said this, a .45 will be cheaper and easier to feed. The .357SIG is starting to catch on but until fifty-cent or Pdiddy start writting songs about it, I dont think there will be enough demand for the weapon that the bullets price comes down. Not to mention that there are some places that dont carry a very wide selection of .357SIG ammo, a big deal if your planning to use something other then target rounds and your picky about what your shooting into the SOB that broke into your house.

Cant believe Im saying this, but yeah Id probably go get a good 1911 from somebody other then the crappy knock-off brands (stay away from Llama, I can tell you a horror story that happened at my OPOTA firearms training).

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I have a SIG 9mm and a Springfield-Armory 1911.

I can't comment to the 357sig cartridge. I have a .357 Magnum, which the 357sig tries to duplicate in an automatic cartridge. As far as what I've read and been told, the 357sig is excellent at barrier penetration and does fairly well at mimicking la .357 medium load out of a 4" barrel. It's a 10mm case with a 9mm bullet, which means feeding will be more reliable. It is prone to bullet setback due to the cartridge design. As far as a SIG pistol, you can't find any better for a combat pistol. Period.

I love my 1911. .45 is a great cartridge. The downfall is capacity. 7 rounds vs 13 rounds is a difference. I believe .45 ammo is cheaper than 357sig ammo. Another thing to considering. Also, .45 will have a gentler recoil than 357sig. .45 is a low pressure cartridge, and 357sig is a high pressure cartridge, it will be snappier.

Ballistically? In a high quality hollow point there is no discernable difference. In FMJ you will have to worry about over penetration in the 357sig more than the .45.

LowFlier03 has a SIG in 357sig.

Lawman

None
Brett327 said:
I'm having the same debate for my next pistol. I'm in, budget unlimited for all practical purposes.

Brett

Do you have a need to be Uber Tactical? Will the lack of a light rail make you feel like less of a man when your standing in the stall holding a piddly inferior 95 year old designed gun because his has a Lazer. Does your pistol need to have a sense of style and sophistication when you open the case that says "I've got to much money for my own good and wasted more on a pretty gun then on the ammo to learn to shoot it properly?"

Yeah if you dont answer yes to any of those questions, just go find one in the 5-900 dollar range that you like. Personally Im a fan of just a plane jane Milspec from Springfield with a parkerized finish. Its easy on the budget, shoots as good as anything under a grand out of the box, and doesnt have any of the fancy crap that I think ruins some of the simplistic beauty of a 1911.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Lawman said:
Do you have a need to be Uber Tactical? Will the lack of a light rail make you feel like less of a man when your standing in the stall holding a piddly inferior 95 year old designed gun because his has a Lazer. Does your pistol need to have a sense of style and sophistication when you open the case that says "I've got to much money for my own good and wasted more on a pretty gun then on the ammo to learn to shoot it properly?"

Yeah if you dont answer yes to any of those questions, just go find one in the 5-900 dollar range that you like. Personally Im a fan of just a plane jane Milspec from Springfield with a parkerized finish. Its easy on the budget, shoots as good as anything under a grand out of the box, and doesnt have any of the fancy crap that I think ruins some of the simplistic beauty of a 1911.
Good stuff. Thanks fellas.

Brett

xmid

pilot
Contributor
Look in to a kimber 1911. I've got two and both were bought at times where I could afford any gun I wanted. I couldn't be happier with them. I have a kimber custom that is probably my favorite (other than the NFA uzi) in my collection. If you have or a friend has reloading equipment then .45 is actually really not expensive to shoot at all. You can get more parts for the 1911 frame than any other handgun out there, so if you decide you want to do a little custom work to it you have that option. Sig's on the other hand are amazing guns. I agree that they are one of the finest/coolest combat handguns out there, but I believe that the 1911 just offers the most bang for the buck. You should just buy them both, because no matter how many guns you have you will always want another one.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Thanks for the info, guys...

I think I'll go with the 1911 first... and then Sig. I like Fly and xmid's thinking on this one.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Damn they made a 45ACP XD. Why did I buy the 9mm I should have waited. I cant own three Springfield porducts before I get a revolver.

kls

Why dont you look at the ballistics on both guns. the 357 is much hotter. knock down power is what you want. If you want the badest semi you can get go for the 10mm 690 foot pounds of energy at 25 ft. can you say dead.