• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

[GUN] 357 or 45?

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
kls said:
Why dont you look at the ballistics on both guns. the 357 is much hotter. knock down power is what you want. If you want the badest semi you can get go for the 10mm 690 foot pounds of energy at 25 ft. can you say dead.

Oh boy.....there's that ugly term again.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
kls said:
Why dont you look at the ballistics on both guns. the 357 is much hotter. knock down power is what you want. If you want the badest semi you can get go for the 10mm 690 foot pounds of energy at 25 ft. can you say dead.

Hrm... not really concerned about that. I'll be using it to punch holes in paper. As far as home protection goes, the idiot that decideds to enter my house unwelcomed will have a bad day regardless of which round enters his body.

Besides... ft-lbs isn't a measure of energy... force, yes... energy, no.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
I read about a lot of feed problems when the FBI went to 10mm in the early 90's. I assume you own one KLS? Any problems? Since you are punching paper the availability of 10mm might be a pain. You gotta love those cheap 100rd white boxes at walmart... I know they have .45, not sure about .357sig or 10mm. You can't beat 100rds of 9mm for under $10!

metro

The future of the Supply Corps
VetteMuscle427 said:
Springfield Armory XD-45acp. Beatiful. If I could only find one to buy....

Don't worry, Vette, they'll be readily available soon, I imagine...they were just announced within the last month, as I recall. :D

Back to the topic:

I'm biased, honestly, having owned both a SIG 226 in 9, and 3 1911s now in 45 (2 Springfields, 1 Kimber), so I have to recommend the 1911 in .45. Since buying my first 1911, every time I look at a nice SIG/H&K/Anybrand pistol that's not a 1911, I find myself thinking "Yeah, that's a nice piece, at $XXX, but for an extra $XXX I could buy a really nice 1911."

I've yet to regret buying a 1911. hehehe...YMMV. :D

Scotty-O

Due to the government,I feel over-stimulated.
.40 users?

Anyone have any experience with .40 cal? I like it because it has more power than a 9mm, but not quite as heavy as a .45. Anyone...?

eye_malfunction

Scotty-O said:
Anyone have any experience with .40 cal? I like it because it has more power than a 9mm, but not quite as heavy as a .45. Anyone...?

I'd like to know too. I'm planning on buying either a Glock 23 or the USP compact. I know the FBI uses the G23 but some say the USP is a better pistol but I mostly want to know how good the .40 cal is because if it's not worth it then I'll get the Glock 19 or the USP compact 9mm.

Lawman

None
Carried a USP-F .40 as a duty sidearm. I like the cartridge, but it has more felt recoil then the lower velocity .45 or the lighter grain 9mm (not the 147 +P+ stuff). Its a great round, developed out of the whole 10mm idea. One of its best features found for Law Enforcement was that it had the lowest chance of penetrating level IIIa body armor when compaired to other pistol cartridges between .32ACP and .45ACP. Since this is the body armor most police agencys wear when this was discovered it became a nice selling point.

Really .45, .40, 9mm, .38, or any other pistol caliber over .25cal is subtible for self defence, some people just have a need to identify with one caliber more then others. I like to call it the my daddy sindrome, My daddy had a 1911 .45 there for it is the best gun in the world for ______. Really, the best caliber is the one you can shoot the most accurately and consitantly because shot placement wins gun fights, not capacity or bullet weight. Case in point, I carried a .40 cal as a duty weapon because it gave me the best mix of accuracy and power for a full size combat handgun. I carry a 9mm for concealed because it was the weapon I can employ the best in that capacity. And I use a .357 Mag loaded with Semi-jacketed hollow lead nose .38 special in my house gun because thats the jobs they do the best of the ones I have.

As far as the manufacturers war goes, H&K and Glock are both better guns then many of the ones out there they compete with. My beef with Glock is that they are not in the class that they have slowely priced themselves into, Ive seen Glocks for as much as a SIG, they shouldnt be that expensive. And I have an understanding as to just how useless 3 of thier pistols are, one goes *Badadadadada* from a proffesional standpoint.The reason you see a lot of LE agencys using them is because they are very cheap to keep and feed as an agency, Glock can underbid anybody else if they really want to. And they typically send your guys to school for free to get their certificate. Weapons for LE and Government has a lot more to do with Politics and Financial variables then with actually aquiring the absolute better weapon.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
.40 cal is an awesome round. I have a Beretta 92fs and my friend has a 96d, and after shooting both back to back I feel like less of a man... The .40 definitely brings more heat, and with the berettas at least you don't give up much in magazine capacity. The .40 holds 11+1 I believe and the 9mm holds 15+1. Its not a huge leap in power, but there is no replacement for displacement! I myself would love to have a glock 23 or a hk in .40, and you can never go wrong when buying any gun. They are an addiction that will never be quenched.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
Lawman obviously knows his stuff with his experience, and I would totally agree with him on the gun that you are best at employing should be the one to go with. I actually like carrying a 1911, I feel very confident with my abilities to put rounds on target and it is slimmer than new age double stacks. If the gun is going to be used just to go out and blast a few rounds for grins, then the power and recoil may actually add to the fun factor. My uzi will probably never be used in defense, but it is just plain fun to go full auto.

Lawman

None
xmid said:
My uzi will probably never be used in defense, but it is just plain fun to go full auto.

Yeah your gonna want to never do that.... ever. You hold that one up in civil court and it wont matter how right you were, your that crazy nut job that just wanted to see what it would be like to kill somebody.

Im all for the shooting stuff for fun though. Thats why soon..... I will have my .44 Magnum. Because dammit I want one.

jay741

xmid said:
My uzi will probably never be used in defense, but it is just plain fun to go full auto.
Full auto??? You might not want to show that one to too many people.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Lawman said:
Im all for the shooting stuff for fun though. Thats why soon..... I will have my .44 Magnum. Because dammit I want one.

I think my "Guns to own" list just got a little longer...

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
If I could only have ONE handgun --- it would be a 1911 style pistol in .45 ACP. You have a lot of choices today. I have a couple of .357 SiG pistols --- very nice pistols --- the ammo is costly. I have about 4,000 Colt 1911's (a slight exaggeration -- but only slight :) ). I would go with the .45 1911 style for now if the choice is one caliber or the other.

As others have said --- the best one for you is the one you practice with on a regular basis --- and ammo cost will factor into that, obviously.