• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

GF...keep her or send her home?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ladybug

Jolly Roger's fiance
OK I have been following this and trying to deceide whether or no to post. But some of the remarks made may the man have ruffeled my feathers a bit. Road if you think it is hard now to have a g/f (girlfriend) and go to flight school, do you think it will be easier later in life? My answer is probably not. Any relationship takes work, if you two are committed to each other then you can make it work. You may need to set aside the first 15-30 min when you get home to be with her before you start studying. You have to make some compromises and so does she. If you give her 15-30 min then she could leave you alone for the next three hours or however long you need. Also I am sure you have to eat at some point so maybe she could ahve dinner ready for you at an appointed time and you take a study break then to eat. You need to manage your time better, if she is worth the effort.

That being said... My mother was/is an Army Wife. I am an Army Brat. My boyfriend wants to be a Naval Pilot and I support him with all I have. No it was not easy for my parents and I am sure it will not be easy for us but we love and care for each other enought to make it work. A woman can be the greatest thing in your life. My mom raised my sister and myself while my Dad was on Active Duty in Korea. I waited for the phone call to send him to the first Gulf War and I wait everyday for him to be called back to duty (he is a Retired LTC.). There are women out there who love and support their husbands everyday by doing the most mundane things to make their husbands' lives easier (i.e. laundry, perparing meals, taking care of the kids, running errands, fixing the toilet, paying bills, fixing a broken hot water heater ect.). These women do all of this because they love and support their husbands.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Some of you guys need to understand this isn't a boot Ensign we're talking to/about. He went to SWOS with me back in '99 and has done two fleet tours as a SWO already. I'm pretty sure he knows how to manage his time or he wouldn't be where he is today. We know way too little of the details of this relationship. Hell, they certainly aren't married so I think it's a bit unfair to be comparing marriages to his relationship.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Brandi said:
2.) On deployment stay out of the bars and the same goes for the other person that's at home
Right, like that's gonna happen. Just being realistic.

T-man

ladybug said:
... Any relationship takes work ...

newsflash!!

It's amazing to me how many people never seem to get this (I'm not blaming anyone in particular on this board, I'm just making a general, blanket statement).

If you look in the dictionary, you'll find that the word love is a verb.... *gasp* does that mean that, like other verbs, it requires some action? ;)

bennett4362

deployment sucks
T-man said:
newsflash!!

It's amazing to me how many people never seem to get this (I'm not blaming anyone in particular on this board, I'm just making a general, blanket statement).

If you look in the dictionary, you'll find that the word love is a verb.... *gasp* does that mean that, like other verbs, it requires some action? ;)

actually, love can be an uncountable noun as well as a verb.

in addition, love is a mental verb. mental verbs, while denoting a wide rage of activities and states experienced by humans, do not involve physical action, but rather describe emotional or attitudinal states, expressing attitudes or desires. the subject of such verbs has the semantic role of recipient.

nevertheless, being in love and making a relationship successful does require work.

ZRX04

My god, this thread is still going?! To the original poster: you're clueless on interpersonal relationships like 95% of people under the age of 30 (not that 30 makes many more people wiser). Concentrate on flight school, you've got lots of maturing to do before you tackle the female aspect. Planes are easier. It's obvious you're not in love with her, though you are about on par with most of the general population. Most relationships these days are a matter of convienence, right person at right time based on physicality rather than true emotional connection and communication. Few are in touch with their own selves enough to enter into a serious emotional link with another person. Everyone (women included) wants to get laid though, hence the high divorce rate. Lust is easy, love is not.

In time you'll mature and realize you're just young and naieve and that you had your priorities all jacked up.

gregsivers

damn homeowners' associations
pilot
This may sound selfish, but this is how I view flight school/wings: its something I've always wanted, and I'm not letting anything, especially a woman, get in my way. I've got a buddy who dropped out of AF nav training recently for his gf, and since then they've broken up. So I know what a bad relationship and bad decisions can do. If you want wings badly enough, you can focus on them and get them. As many have said, you get one shot at wings, so don't blow it.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
ZRX04 said:
My god, this thread is still going?! To the original poster: you're clueless on interpersonal relationships like 95% of people under the age of 30 (not that 30 makes many more people wiser). Concentrate on flight school, you've got lots of maturing to do before you tackle the female aspect. Planes are easier. It's obvious you're not in love with her, though you are about on par with most of the general population. Most relationships these days are a matter of convienence, right person at right time based on physicality rather than true emotional connection and communication. Few are in touch with their own selves enough to enter into a serious emotional link with another person. Everyone (women included) wants to get laid though, hence the high divorce rate. Lust is easy, love is not.

In time you'll mature and realize you're just young and naieve and that you had your priorities all jacked up.
Ahh, the voice of reason. :D

Brett

snow85

Come on, the FBI would have given him twins!
Road--

relationships of any kind take work, and there are additional stresses on those of military personnel. bottom line is that you're in aviation for a reason. if the relationship is meant to be, it will weather the stresses of training, and then your work up and deployment cycles. if your scores start to suffer, and you think it may be because of the relationship, then you're going to have to choose, even if only temporarily. be sure you're realistic about it-- you seem to have enough background to make an informed decision.

saltpeter

Is the horse dead? Here it is - 1.) find a SO, with a current lease, preferably in section 8 housing and on food stamps 2.) tell them your name is Wally Cleaver 3.) Mooch off them, hell they're not paying rent, so is it really mooching 4.) Graduate 5.) Tell them your ship is leaving tommorrow and you'll call as soon as we beat the German's

dufault.2

ZRX04 said:
It's obvious you're not in love with her, though you are about on par with most of the general population. Most relationships these days are a matter of convienence, right person at right time based on physicality rather than true emotional connection and communication. Few are in touch with their own selves enough to enter into a serious emotional link with another person.

Hey Dr. Phil, are you sticking around for autographs after the Oprah show today? Love the 'stache.

Road Program

Hangin' on by the static wicks
None
Ok, this thread has gotten out of hand. I certainly don't have the time to read all 7 pages. In the interest of saving everyone some time and frustration, can I put in my vote to lock it?

Thanks again for all the responses.

nfo2b

Well, not anymore... :(
Road Program said:
Ok, this thread has gotten out of hand. I certainly don't have the time to read all 7 pages. In the interest of saving everyone some time and frustration, can I put in my vote to lock it?
No, because as I and someone else here have already said, if you don't wanna read it, don't read it! It's that simple. Locking is only appropriate in the most severe cases involving heinous offenses.

Status
Not open for further replies.