• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Gasp!!! A Firearms Thread ??? GUNS ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Lawman said:
Depends on what your doing with them. Kimbers are Competition guns for Competition days but for a combat handgun a Springfield Operator is gonna do a much better job then a Kimber.
You'll find Kimbers in the holsters of an IDPA Shooter, you wont see them anywhere in the proffesional shooting (I.E. live and die by your gun) World.

is that why the Marine Corps adopted the Kimber Warrior as their next MEUSOC 45 design?

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Grant said:
I've heard of people doing this conversion with various .40 S&W's, but I'm not very familiar with the reasons for it. What are the pros/cons of .357 Sig vs. .40 S&W? :D

ALL OPINION .... not in concrete.:)

.357 SIG is basically a 40 S&W case necked down to accept a 9mm bullet. The result? Better, hotter ballistics (velocity) and higher energy (ft. #'s) delivered to the target. The 40 S&W (used to be derisively called 40 "short & weak" --and it's NOT) has not had a great reputation for accuracy like the .45 ACP it was designed to replace -- not so with the .357 SIG -- it's accurate.

The stories of the various calibers of recent history and the bureaucrats that purchase them for military and LE are somewhat amusing. They walked away from the .45 ACP when replacing the 1911 US military service. The 9mm was adopted and law enforcement went along when the big switch was made from revolvers to semi-autos. Then the 9mm wasn't powerful enough .... so we need something bigger. How about a 10mm?? Ooops .... too powerful. Now what do we do? Hey, let's make a "short" 10mm and call it .... the 40 S&W !!!! What's that you say ??? SpecOPS and LE tactical units that can pick their arms and ammo are moving back to the .45 ACP??? Well, then, how about a .357 SIG !!! I'm BREATHLESS !!! This sorry trail is oversimplified ..... but bureaucrats --- gotta' love 'em.

And let us not forget the .45 GAP .....

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Lawman said:
Depends on what your doing with them. Kimbers are Competition guns for Competition days but for a combat handgun a Springfield Operator is gonna do a much better job then a Kimber.

You'll find Kimbers in the holsters of an IDPA Shooter, you wont see them anywhere in the proffesional shooting (I.E. live and die by your gun) World.

LAPD SWAT adopted the Kimber full size Custom II for their standard sidearm. This led to Kimber remarketing the version of the Custom II as the "TLE"

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Jesus Christo: I can't even get a answer-post in here before15 others appear in between.

FLASH : If you guys would hit on the Web-san --- we'd have that Firearms Thread ..... :) (and keep smilin')

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Sorry, you're all wrong. The answer is:

sigguns.jpg

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
Guns are bad. They hurt people. If we didn't have guns, we wouldn't have violence.

metro

The future of the Supply Corps
Fly Navy said:
Sorry, you're all wrong. The answer is:

sigguns.jpg

It would appear we have a SIG worshipper here in Fly Navy. It's always the ones you least suspect...you never see it coming. Tsk, tsk. :D

Just kidding. Got a P226 9 myself, and love it, but I gotta get a Springfield 1911 here soon, so I can stop drooling over them.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
VetteMuscle427 said:
that rail doesn't hold an M-3/M-6 very well... at about round 4 of 5 of rapid fire, it flew off and decided to take a trip down range.....
A4sForever said:
Well, that's really jolly. Especially as I have an M3 TI Streamlight (left) for the XD40 , pat. pending even :eek: ..... I just haven't shot it at the range on the pistol. Very impressed with it when not shooting, however. :)
stream_m3.jpg

GOOD NEWS !!! I was so worried after VetteMuscle's "gouge" about the M3 staying on that I tested it today. Didn't have time to go to the range--- so I pumped a 12 round magazine of .357 SIG into the neighbor's cat. I wouldn't have done it, but the cat gave me "that look" again ..... plus, he's always had an "attitude" towards me.

JUST KIDDING, UPTIGHT AW :bunny_125-LOVERS ... /// strike that /// I mean .... :kitty_125 -LOVERS ..... (another AW smiley face for you :censored_ )

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
ChuckMK23 said:
This is from someone who worships Ali G. - the most moronic comic figure in history!

A) Ya betta show RESTECP!

B) I... don't get your comment...

RevnR6

Getting Closer and Closer by the minute
My dad has a Springfield Ultra Compact .45 1911 as does my best friend. They are the worst guns I have ever shot, both required 2 trips to Springfield before they would fire a full clip without some sort of malfunction. I would never trust my life to either of those. That said, I still bought a SA XD and I LOVE it. I dont know what went wrong with those 1911s but I still like SA as a whole.

BTW I want to get a .357 sig Barrel for my XD .40 Sub Compact, thanks for the endorsement, I think I will pick one up.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
RevnR6 said:
My dad has a Springfield Ultra Compact .45 1911 as does my best friend. They are the worst guns I have ever shot, both required 2 trips to Springfield before they would fire a full clip without some sort of malfunction..........BTW I want to get a .357 sig Barrel for my XD .40 Sub Compact, thanks for the endorsement, I think I will pick one up.

Well that's lousy news, especially since the Ultra Compact 1911 (if that is the one I'm thinking of) just got a smashing review in American Rifleman in .45 GAP and was going to be my next purchase. More study and review for me, I suppose???

And it's a MAGAZINE .... not a "clip" .... :) Try to be precise with firearms. It's more professional .... anyone who blow this "stuff" off probably is not of the mindset to learn too much about firearms. They already have it all figured out. Not a good trait ....

I don't want to give you bad gouge .... the .357 Bar-Sto barrel was for the 5" or the 4" ... a.k.a. "Tactical" or "Service" model XD's. Not the 3" "SUB"- Compact. (edit: RTFQ) I got it in 9mm as my "pinky" will not wrap around the grip. It has become one of my newest, best, friends , however ....

XD9301.jpg
... S/A XD 3 " barrel Sub-Compact XD Pistol

Yeah, I know ... it looks kind of "chunky" .... but try to carry a 1911 concealed all day --- I'll take this.

Status
Not open for further replies.