• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Gasp!!! A Firearms Thread ??? GUNS ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Got the Springfield XD-40 up and running with a Bar-Sto drop-in .357 SIG barrel. After 100 rounds of fodder and 50 rounds of Hydra-Shok and CorBon HP's I can report no problems with either fit or function. Worked flawlessly with factory hi-cap magazines. This is my fourth aftermarket Bar-Sto barrel and I have never experienced a problem. This is not an endorsement of Bar-Sto or Springfield Armory, but they both are great folks with any questions or service requests you might have.

dsc007042cq.jpg
Springfield Armory XD-40 with Bar-Sto .357 SIG barrel

Not my favorite pistol, but it's not too bad. I need some more work with it before I replace a Glock with this ...... A little history: the XD-type pistol came into this world as the HS2000 and was originally imported from Croatia. After the owner of HS Arms in Croatia was found guilty of supporting terrorists (?? :eek: ??) and was executed, all imports to the US stopped. Shortly afterward, Springfield Armory gained the contract for importing the "HS2000" under its proprietary brand and a new name, the "Xtreme Duty" , or "XD" as we know it. Kind of tough way to beat the competition, huh??

It's basically a half-breed between a Colt 1911 and a Glock. Maybe a Glock with eyeliner and lipstick? :)

Mayday

I thought that was the recline!
:indiffere Yeah, how about that firearms forum? There's so much stuff 2b covered! What happened to that original request? WMaster!! We wanna wanna new forum! :icon_cryi

VetteMuscle427

is out to lunch.
None
A4s... I had my XD-40 <you bought the exact same one I have> at the range on Friday. I had the Streamlight M-3X attached to the bottom rail of it. Well... that rail doesn't hold an M-3/M-6 very well... at about round 4 of 5 of rapid fire, it flew off and decided to take a trip down range.

I would highly recomend the XML if you plan on getting a tac light for it.... I haven't had a problem w/ that.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
VetteMuscle427 said:
.....I would highly recomend the XML if you plan on getting a tac light for it.... I haven't had a problem w/ that.

Well, that's really jolly. Especially as I have an M3 TI Streamlight (left) for the XD40 , pat. pending even :eek: ..... I just haven't shot it at the range on the pistol. Very impressed with it when not shooting, however. :)
stream_m3.jpg
spr_ge5109.jpg
Is this the one (right) you're talking about being good --- the "Mini" XML Xtreme ??? I was under the impression this was for the Springfield XD subcompact series ... ??? I didn't order one as I carry the sub --- didn't think I would ever have a light on a carry gun.

Back to you .........

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
All you Euro-Trash Plastic Gun "Gurly Men" kneel to my American Steel Wonder: my Kimber TLE/RL II in .45 ACP :)

stainlesstle_II.jpg

gov_AS.jpg

Cheers

Chuckster

VetteMuscle427

is out to lunch.
None
The XML is meant for the Sub-Compact; but it works fine if you have big hands.

Chuck.... I have had my heart on the Springfield MC Operator FOREVER. Unfortunatly, for some reason... it is not legal to purchase in MD right now. Peoples Republic of Oppression.

Grant

I've heard of people doing this conversion with various .40 S&W's, but I'm not very familiar with the reasons for it. What are the pros/cons of .357 Sig vs. .40 S&W? :D

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
ChuckMK23 said:
All you Euro-Trash Plastic Gun "Gurly Men" kneel to my American Steel Wonder: my Kimber TLE/RL II in .45 ACP :) ... Chuckster

Ah, yes ... Kimbers are great, but we're talking Eurooooo-Trash Plastic here. That's why we need a firearms thread --- to discuss the various and sundry pleasures that can be had from steel, lead, and smokeless powder -- contact the Web-san, all you believers. Unfortunately, I do not have a Kimber, but I have a staggering affinity for Colts.

But back to the Euro-Trash questions .....

eurotrash5.jpg
eurotrash.jpeg

Lawman

None
ChuckMK23 said:
All you Euro-Trash Plastic Gun "Gurly Men" kneel to my American Steel Wonder: my Kimber TLE/RL II in .45 ACP :)

stainlesstle_II.jpg

gov_AS.jpg

Cheers

Chuckster

You can take your Potmetal .45 bull and go sit on it :icon_tong

This is a mans sidearm
HK-USP40.jpg

Lawman,

A firm believer in German Superiority ;)

Lawman

None
Grant said:
I've heard of people doing this conversion with various .40 S&W's, but I'm not very familiar with the reasons for it. What are the pros/cons of .357 Sig vs. .40 S&W? :D

You get all the screaming velocity of a hot load 9mm but with a much higher delivered energy rate. Plus theres something about modifying weapons that just makes your more unique. The day I pick up a USP .40 Compact, Ill have my friend at the range order me a .357 barrel for it.

VetteMuscle427

is out to lunch.
None
Lawman said:
You can take your Potmetal .45 bull and go sit on it :icon_tong

This is a mans sidearm
HK-USP40.jpg

Lawman,

A firm believer in German Superiority ;)

And just think, if you run out of ammo, you could always throw it at them, like a brick. Now now now... Gentlemen.... I believe we all know who the true champion of .45acp is.

PX9105MLLarge.jpg

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
uh, if you think a springfield 1911 is the best .45, youve got another thing comin.

both Kimber and Wilson Combat are WORLD'S better.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
The Kimber is wonderful - but for sheer ruggedness, all conditions, all weather, drop in the mud/ice/snow/sand reliability the engineering of the Springfield XD's, Glock's, H&K's can not be beat! They are incredible firearms and the value of the XD is incredible given it's price.

The Kimber is an "enthusiasts" weapon. It needs to be kept clean, lubricated, and maintained/tinkered with to operate well. It is an "old school" firearm - and an absolute pleasure to shoot - plus it looks cool - and is classic.
Les Baer or Wilson Combat magazines though are a must!

Lawman

None
squeeze said:
uh, if you think a springfield 1911 is the best .45, youve got another thing comin.

both Kimber and Wilson Combat are WORLD'S better.

Depends on what your doing with them. Kimbers are Competition guns for Competition days but for a combat handgun a Springfield Operator is gonna do a much better job then a Kimber.

You'll find Kimbers in the holsters of an IDPA Shooter, you wont see them anywhere in the proffesional shooting (I.E. live and die by your gun) World.

Status
Not open for further replies.