• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Gasp!!! A Firearms Thread ??? GUNS ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Grant said:
What do yall think of the SKS?

Cheap to buy, cheap to feed, easy to maintain. No reason not to buy one. They're just another "sport utility rifle". Fun as heck.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Lawman said:
Good for if you want an assult rifle but your on a shoestring budget.

Not quite an assault rifle. Despite what dictionary.com says, an assault rifle is a select-fire rifle chambered in an intermediate cartridge. Only a few SKS are select-fire, and they are later models. Sorry to nitpick, but mislabeling firearms only aids in the ignorance of the masses.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
A4sForever said:
That's funny .... that was my rationale for buying both @ 20 years ago ..... When have two opposing weapons ever been so intertwined in military history for so long .... and it continues !!!

Furthering the age old argument that if you want to buy two firearms and have to decide on one.... BUY BOTH!!! :D

Lawman

None
A4sForever said:
If it was as good as you wish it were --- why isn't it still widely used in mainforce armies today????

Same reason you dont see anybody else developing new rifles with .308 as the primary cartridge, the small caliber revolution of the last 30 years has taught people that just because it will drop a deer doesnt make it the best weapon for fighting. I support the 5.56 but only when its being fired out of a 20 inch barrel, these shorter barreled M-4 versions that seem to have grown popular dont have the muzzle velocity and the lethality has gone down for longer range shooting.

And Im not saying the FAL is the ultimate war rifle, but its definately outlived the M-14 as far as a frontline Battle Rifle. I like a .308 mainly because 6.8 and 6mm PPC isnt common enough yet to be cheap and most rifles arent chambered for it. Ill get a 5.56 at some point, I just dont want an AR badly enough to go spend the money on one, and Im not a fan of the AK family. Personally Id love a Sig 550 or H&K G36, but you wont find those at your local shop.

And as for a rifle that loves the sand, Im gonna have to go with the IMI Galil on that one. My local shop has one that was brought over from Israel, funny enough with a bipod and big NV scope on it. Ill bet money that rifle has a few names to it.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Lawman said:
I support the 5.56 but only when its being fired out of a 20 inch barrel, these shorter barreled M-4 versions that seem to have grown popular dont have the muzzle velocity and the lethality has gone down for longer range shooting.

It's not just the shorter barrel, it's the absolutely genius (note sarcasm) idea to use M855 in these barrels as well. When it comes to people killing and an increased fragmentation range, it's no secret that the M193 bullet is a far better choice. The M855 was developed for the SAW, and the Army didn't want soldiers screwing up the ammo, so they just pushed general issue for the M855. Oh well. That's what we get.

And as for a rifle that loves the sand, Im gonna have to go with the IMI Galil on that one. My local shop has one that was brought over from Israel, funny enough with a bipod and big NV scope on it. Ill bet money that rifle has a few names to it.

I've seen lots of talk from the Israelis about how they'd much rather have an M-16 at their side than a Galil. Interesting rifle though, and I'd love to own a copy :)

Lawman

None
Fly Navy said:
I've seen lots of talk from the Israelis about how they'd much rather have an M-16 at their side than a Galil. Interesting rifle though, and I'd love to own a copy :)

Yeah funny thing is they have more M-16's. But production of the Galil was kinda slow since we were selling them A2's at rock bottom prices. It is an interesting rifle, and suprisingly not as hard to find as one might think.

Status
Not open for further replies.