• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY13 STA-21 Applicants

Do you think the numbers will go up next year?

• Total voters

A_Longo88

"Wild Horse"
None
This board has been really quiet this year compared to the last 3 years. Not sure if this means that there are less applicants or that the last two years' board have covered just about every single aspect of this program. I have everything just about done. I am still awaiting my CO to return from travel to sign my endorsement and interview verification from. I should have my package mailed off in a few weeks. Good luck to everyone.

Lucky3

P-8 Driver
pilot
Because I would rather be a Supply Officer.......

So you aren't as worried about becoming an officer as you are about the job supply does? My point still stands. If you really grasp the concept of the fact you are an officer first and foremost then I would be more worried about getting the commission than a particular job. No officer community is as bad or as sexy as they seem on the outside.

hippievan

FY-13 STA-21 CEC Applicant
So you aren't as worried about becoming an officer as you are about the job supply does? My point still stands. If you really grasp the concept of the fact you are an officer first and foremost then I would be more worried about getting the commission than a particular job. No officer community is as bad or as sexy as they seem on the outside.
I like your points, but what community is selecting more than 2 or 3 except nukes? The officer community is going through now, what the enlisted community is just finishing up with. Then if you select pilot or NFO (if I wasn't too old), you can make it all the way through the pipeline and still get the boot because there is no space for you in the fleet. I saw it happen, they over fill on purpose because they know some people won't make it, and to not have any gaps in man power they can just over recruit. Good luck to you on your future as an officer, but lets not make this a lecture forum.

haubby

None
Contributor
I like your points, but what community is selecting more than 2 or 3 except nukes? The officer community is going through now, what the enlisted community is just finishing up with. Then if you select pilot or NFO (if I wasn't too old), you can make it all the way through the pipeline and still get the boot because there is no space for you in the fleet. I saw it happen, they over fill on purpose because they know some people won't make it, and to not have any gaps in man power they can just over recruit. Good luck to you on your future as an officer, but lets not make this a lecture forum.

Lucky3 is one of the good ones... I would assert he's trying to point out that in these tough times SWO, statistically speaking, would lend to a higher audience in terms of a selection rate than Supply, SNA, SNFO, etc. If one's true desire was to be a Naval Officer, I would say that CORE is the more logical choice. CORE gives you the highest chance to become an Officer (~50% of all selectee's are CORE options). In the end, go for what you truly want to do in life and the best of luck you to all. Should you have the opportunity to go through the program, you'll experience one of the best three years of your life. I'd do it over in a heartbeat!

Lucky3

P-8 Driver
pilot
If you took what I said as a lecture, lighten up. I think until 75 becomes the norm for STA-21 selections I would treat last year as an enigma. Traditionally swo, pilot, and nfo also have decent selection percentages in STA. Last year, they weren't re-designating any aviation NPQs, DORs, or attrites. This year if you are willing to switch to SWO you have a really good chance of staying in. To me that indicates there is a need for SWOs and quite possibly officers in general.

To piggy back Haubby I would pick something that would give myself the best odds to get STA-21 and become an officer. You'll be amazed at how much you'll grow as a person going through the program and I can almost guarantee that when you look back you'll shake your head when you realize you weren't as ready to be an officer as you thought you were when you left the fleet for NSI. It is a whole new world.

Hippie I would also say your pilot gouge is incorrect. I am nearing the final stages before I wing and the head of CNATRA is saying the exact opposite of that. I would guess there is some extenuating circumstances in your example.

Popo Jijo

Primary Complete
This board has been really quiet this year compared to the last 3 years. Not sure if this means that there are less applicants or that the last two years' board have covered just about every single aspect of this program. I have everything just about done. I am still awaiting my CO to return from travel to sign my endorsement and interview verification from. I should have my package mailed off in a few weeks. Good luck to everyone.
^^This post was number 181.
Post number 181 on last years forum occurred on Jun 28, 2011.
That would mean that we have had more chatter on this forum. However, I will agree that it has seemed very slow. Maybe it's because I check this site more and more everyday. Maybe it needs to be spiced up a bit more. Or maybe the people who constantly check/follow this forum who are not a member and do not contribute could log on and say hello. I know there are some out there. I see you.

hippievan

FY-13 STA-21 CEC Applicant
If you took what I said as a lecture, lighten up. I think until 75 becomes the norm for STA-21 selections I would treat last year as an enigma. Traditionally swo, pilot, and nfo also have decent selection percentages in STA. Last year, they weren't re-designating any aviation NPQs, DORs, or attrites. This year if you are willing to switch to SWO you have a really good chance of staying in. To me that indicates there is a need for SWOs and quite possibly officers in general.

To piggy back Haubby I would pick something that would give myself the best odds to get STA-21 and become an officer. You'll be amazed at how much you'll grow as a person going through the program and I can almost guarantee that when you look back you'll shake your head when you realize you weren't as ready to be an officer as you thought you were when you left the fleet for NSI. It is a whole new world.

Hippie I would also say your pilot gouge is incorrect. I am nearing the final stages before I wing and the head of CNATRA is saying the exact opposite of that. I would guess there is some extenuating circumstances in your example.
Well this is the trouble with speaking through typing, lack of emotion and understandings. You have very good points towards applying for as many communities as possible. Of course age seems to play a major role for many, everyone has there own interest correct.

I don't know about the numbers, I am very curious to see. It could have been a over zealous cut because of all the budgets talks, but I pay close attention to the community health overviews. A lot of good info to find on those power points.

Congratulations on your near completion of earning your wings, which birds are you going to try for?

A_Longo88

"Wild Horse"
None
^^This post was number 181.
Post number 181 on last years forum occurred on Jun 28, 2011.
That would mean that we have had more chatter on this forum. However, I will agree that it has seemed very slow. Maybe it's because I check this site more and more everyday. Maybe it needs to be spiced up a bit more. Or maybe the people who constantly check/follow this forum who are not a member and do not contribute could log on and say hello. I know there are some out there. I see you.
Oh wow ... I didnt realize that .... seeing that the previous years had soo many pages and this one only having 8 I though we were behind the power curve ....

Soup84

Prior AM2, FY-12 Pilot Select, Commissioned Dec 12
If you guys know where I can find a newer version of the STA-21 Precept, please let me know. I have the one from 07 or 08. I'd definitely like a newer one to pass out as gouge. Thank you, OC Campbell

DiverDan

US Navy Diver
I am not trying to be negative, but for all of you that apply for the options that select one a year I have a question; Would you rather be an officer or hold the job you are applying for? I ask because no matter what you get you have to be an officer first and occupation second. Since that is the case why not put yourself in a better position to become an officer and worry less about the job?

Without going into it too far, that question depends on a lot of background information on the applicant. If someone applying for a specific community told their board members (who should be a part of the community you're applying for) that "yeah the jobs great and all but I'd forget your community just to be an Officer cause ultimately that's all I really want."... well, they wouldn't look too kindly on that. Having some difficultly explaining what I mean but when I go to a bunch of SWO/EDs to apply they know that I'm interested in the SWO/ED Community.

It's like someone coming to me saying "Yeah, I wanna apply to be a Diver so I don't have to be in the Fleet anymore.". I'd tell them that's not a good reason to go Diver and if that was their biggest reason they wouldn't be welcome in our community. Not saying that's what you or anyone else would mean, but remember that if you're applying for a group that has only a few slots each year it's because it's a smaller community and they treat it as such. If you're not serious about being a part of them... they won't want you.

Hope this makes sense, I'm not trying to talk down anyone's reasons for applying. Just keep in mind what you say and how some Officers will take it. Not replying to you specifically, just in general.

PapaK

What exactly are the age limits and requirements for STA-21? Is the program only for Active Duty or is it open to reservists as well?

sonarforce

FY-12 Oceano Alternate
Hey guys, a question: I was selected as the Oceanography Option Alternate last year, so what should I put in my package to state such a thing? My personal statement, etc?

Popo Jijo

Primary Complete
Hey guys, a question: I was selected as the Oceanography Option Alternate last year, so what should I put in my package to state such a thing? My personal statement, etc?
That should definitely be in your personal statement. I mentioned it was my second time applying in the second paragraph along with the improvements I made for this FY.