• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY13 STA-21 Applicants

Do you think the numbers will go up next year?

• Total voters

jeeplovindad

FY13 Sta-21 Applicant EDO/SWO
Has anyone ever use their letters of recommendation more than once? I'm wondering if i should include my recommendations from last year with my package this year as well.
This was a topic from last year. Mr. Straten has said that it is fine to use the same letters from last year.

Popo Jijo

Primary Complete
Quiet forum this year.

I have my external boards next monday. I get to travel form Atlanta to NAS Jacksonville to get it done. I am excited to get this years package done and submitted. Hopefully everyone else is getting their stuff completed. Don't wait until it's too late!

hippievan

FY-13 STA-21 CEC Applicant
I noticed from older forums that someone posted a much more informative fleet brief. It showed board member numbers, more details on things to include in package. Anyone know if something like that is still available for last year that would be great. I saw it from 2010 forum, so Oct 2008 was first post.

A_Longo88

"Wild Horse"
None
I noticed from older forums that someone posted a much more informative fleet brief. It showed board member numbers, more details on things to include in package. Anyone know if something like that is still available for last year that would be great. I saw it from 2010 forum, so Oct 2008 was first post.
You can find last year's fleet brief on the STA-21 Web site under the "other links" tab. Hope this helps.

A_Longo88

"Wild Horse"
None
So I am possibly going to be having my internal and external boards next week. For some reason I have a feeling that the officers doing my boards don't know much about the program. I was explaining to my XO that the external board requires three LT or above AND a CHAIRPERSON. He said the the senior of the 3 would be the chairperson. He told me to go make 6 copies of my package so that each board member would have a copy. I know that the 1420.1b says that we are not supposed to see our appraisal sheets, but how do we know that they are going to be accurate. What is one of the officers forgets their job title or designator, or even the date. Its things like, that I want to go through and screen once the entire package is complete. I don't want to go up to my XO and be like " umm sir do you know how this is supposed to go?" but it just seems to me like they aren't the most familiar. I have read chapter 8 of the 1420.1b probably 10-15 times word for word, so I feel like I am an expert on how things are supposed to go. Does anyone have any ideas on how I can go about handling this issue ??

Popo Jijo

Primary Complete
So I am possibly going to be having my internal and external boards next week. For some reason I have a feeling that the officers doing my boards don't know much about the program. I was explaining to my XO that the external board requires three LT or above AND a CHAIRPERSON. He said the the senior of the 3 would be the chairperson. He told me to go make 6 copies of my package so that each board member would have a copy. I know that the 1420.1b says that we are not supposed to see our appraisal sheets, but how do we know that they are going to be accurate. What is one of the officers forgets their job title or designator, or even the date. Its things like, that I want to go through and screen once the entire package is complete. I don't want to go up to my XO and be like " umm sir do you know how this is supposed to go?" but it just seems to me like they aren't the most familiar. I have read chapter 8 of the 1420.1b probably 10-15 times word for word, so I feel like I am an expert on how things are supposed to go. Does anyone have any ideas on how I can go about handling this issue ??

As you can probably tell, each person's command seems to deal with this differently. I heard an officer that was on my external board say "I have never done one of these before." while I was waiting outside the room. My external board had only one copy of my package, and only read my personal statement. My external board this year had three LT's and a CO. Last year it had two LT's and a CO.

If I were you I would find out who is really handling your package. Maybe the XO is going through your admin chief to set up everything. I would bring all of this up with that person and have them screen your package before it is mailed off. If I can remember correctly, somewhere in the instruction there was a statement saying that applicants would not be penalized for the command portion being incorrect.

jeeplovindad

FY13 Sta-21 Applicant EDO/SWO
Worst case scenario, P'cola will tell you about discrepancies after they check in the package via the login screen online. Had similar issues last year with my Officer coordinator but as long as it's resolved by August 1st it's all good.

OC/EMC

You have the perfect attitude about your package! You are also correct; DO NOT let that package leave your command without looking over every page yourself. You are the expert. You are the one applying. You are ultimately responsible for your application.

You would be perfectly correct in approaching your XO and pointing out any mistakes/corrections needed. Just be tactful and respectful. Would you do it if it were your FITREP/EVAL? I had to take mine back to my external board CO twice! Once because he did not have his designator, the other because his YN2 typed up my command's name incorrectly and I had to ask him to rewrite his entire comments after I created a whole new interview sheet.

The 3 board members and chairperson thing is a little, eh.. One year I had 3 and a chair, the other, just two and a chair. It worked out in the end.

This is the one time in your life where you cannot be timid in communicating what you need and what is required.

A_Longo88

"Wild Horse"
None
Thanks Jijo, jeep, and EMC for all the inputs. I spoke with my Divo and he told me I will be able to review it and make 100% sure there are no mistakes because it is my package. I have my internal board here in about 10 Minutes. Wish me luck guys !!!

A_Longo88

"Wild Horse"
None
Just finished my internal board. All went well. The XO, QAO, and a Divo were all good interviewers. Some of the questions I was asked are:
1. What do you know about being a SWO?
2. Why do you want to be an officer?
3. If you were an Ensign and just got off watch at midnigh and you are walking through the ship and Seaman Jane comes running out of the Skipper's office crying, what are you going to do.
4. How long from ENS to LTJG to LT to LCDR all the way to CAPT.
5. Why SWO/IP?
6. If you want to be a SWO/IP now why did you join the Navy as an AS?
7. Who is your mentor?
8. Who is your Hero?
9. Do you qualify for flight? (these are all Aviation Maintenance Offciers)

There may be a couple more that I missed. I feel like I responded very well. My posture was good, clean haircut and shave, and my unifrom was on point. I feel like I made a great impression. Next big hurdle is my external board which is supposed to be on Thursday as long as we can find a CO to chair the board. I am currently drafting my COs endorsement and dont really know how to add in there that there isn't any URL officers here at my command. They are all RL. does anyone know how to explain that, making it sound really professional as if its coming from the CO.

-Longo