• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY13 STA-21 Applicants

Do you think the numbers will go up next year?

• Total voters

Popo Jijo

Primary Complete
Just finished my internal board. All went well. The XO, QAO, and a Divo were all good interviewers. Some of the questions I was asked are:
1. What do you know about being a SWO?
2. Why do you want to be an officer?
3. If you were an Ensign and just got off watch at midnigh and you are walking through the ship and Seaman Jane comes running out of the Skipper's office crying, what are you going to do.
4. How long from ENS to LTJG to LT to LCDR all the way to CAPT.
5. Why SWO/IP?
6. If you want to be a SWO/IP now why did you join the Navy as an AS?
7. Who is your mentor?
8. Who is your Hero?
9. Do you qualify for flight? (these are all Aviation Maintenance Offciers)

There may be a couple more that I missed. I feel like I responded very well. My posture was good, clean haircut and shave, and my unifrom was on point. I feel like I made a great impression. Next big hurdle is my external board which is supposed to be on Thursday as long as we can find a CO to chair the board. I am currently drafting my COs endorsement and dont really know how to add in there that there isn't any URL officers here at my command. They are all RL. does anyone know how to explain that, making it sound really professional as if its coming from the CO.

-Longo
That's awesome that you finished your internal boards. I had some great questions during mine. I am thinking about starting up a thread about board questions for this FY.

A_Longo88

"Wild Horse"
None
I have my external board scheduled for Thursday afternoon. I have CDR/ CO as the chairman, a LCDR, and 2 LTs. This is the one that I'm really nervous about because I dont really know any of them. The iinternal board wasn't bad because I knew all of them but this one is a little more nerve wrecking. Ill keep you guys posted and let you know how it goes. Good luck to everyone.

Soup84

Prior AM2, FY-12 Pilot Select, Commissioned Dec 12
Hello all applicants. I have setup Preboards for all motivated applicants in the Hampton Roads area. Below is a link to this months Preboards. This is a great opportunity as your preboard will be led by Officer Candidates currently serving in the STA-21 program. The preboards are one hour long; 30 mins for the board and 30 mins for feedback and any questions you may have. We will also review your current package and proofread any documents (personal statement, CO endorsement, etc) If you are interested, follow the directions in the link and email me at ecamp016@odu.edu. DO NOT send me a message on airwarriors. Only to my email.

https://docs.google.com/a/odu.edu/s...sJdERvRFhjcXd2UTdQUE1vSEZfcTZreUE&pli=1#gid=1

Soup84

Prior AM2, FY-12 Pilot Select, Commissioned Dec 12
Here's some more info. BTW, I'm OC Campbell

Future OCs,
I have setup preboards for any and all motivated STA-21 applicants in the Hampton Roads area. These preboards will consist of a standard board session, but also include time for you to ask questions, receive feedback, and have your packages reviewed. This is a unique opportunity as the preboards will be led by Officer Candidates who are currently in the STA-21 program. Be prepared to answer a variety of questions. These will likely be situational type and current event questions, but be prepared for anything. Your actual board members can ask you whatever they want. Below are the specifics for the boards.
What: STA-21 Preboards
When: May 3rd, 4th, 10th, and 11th
Time slots available: (0900-1000) (1000-1100) (1100-1200)
Where: Learning Commons at Perry Library at Old Dominion University
http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=N...2LmRPlKa17gfBst4g&cbp=11,328.77,,0,-0.35&z=18
Uniform: Whichever uniform you anticipate wearing at your real boards; if unknown, wear NSUs. Ensure it is inspection ready.

***To secure your time slot:
1.) Choose a date and time from the link and email it to me.
2.) If you can't open the link, just email me and we'll work it out
3.) Include in your email your name, number, and what specific designator you are applying for.
4.) If you need proof of your preboard to miss work, add your supervisor's email and I will Cc him/her.
Items to bring:
-Your entire package (bring as much as you have)
-Money for parking. (You will parking in the garage shown on the map on the first level where the metered spaces are located)
-Questions you may have
Note:
-Be there at least 15 minutes early. Parking is difficult.
-If all slots are taken, please notify me and I will create more.

Feel free to email me with further questions.

V/r,
OC Eric Campbell
Preboard Chairman

hearshot

I was actually going to shoot an e-mail tomorrow to set one up, but then I saw the dates and realized that I'd be in Mayport for all of them.

hippievan

FY-13 STA-21 CEC Applicant
You can find last year's fleet brief on the STA-21 Web site under the "other links" tab. Hope this helps.

Thank you, I have been looking at that fleet brief, it's just the briefs from years earlier provide much more detail on things they were looking and such.

Popo Jijo

Primary Complete
Question about appraisals.
Is getting anything other than Outstanding on appraisals a bad thing? Obviously outstanding is the preferred mark to have, however, is that the only way to get selected? I know that this is all only speculation, but am curious to know everybody's thoughts.

hippievan

FY-13 STA-21 CEC Applicant
Question about appraisals.
Is getting anything other than Outstanding on appraisals a bad thing? Obviously outstanding is the preferred mark to have, however, is that the only way to get selected? I know that this is all only speculation, but am curious to know everybody's thoughts.
To be honest I think with such low numbers, it will take 9's & 10's. I mean this is just my opinion, I wouldn't want it to demotivate anyone. If you look at previous years precepts, they show the scoring breakdown and I think leadership and academic potential categories are both worth 40 points!! On that note, has anyone found last years precept?

Ryan Martens

FY-11-13 Applicant
I am applying for the Core and Supply options as well. Package is nearly complete, just awaiting my CO interview. Internal Board and External were perfect. I was able to see my sheets to make corrections. Two of my internal and one of my external appraisals needed corrections along with the Chairman's Recommendations. Afterall, it is my package and my future.

Lucky3

P-8 Driver
pilot
I am not trying to be negative, but for all of you that apply for the options that select one a year I have a question; Would you rather be an officer or hold the job you are applying for? I ask because no matter what you get you have to be an officer first and occupation second. Since that is the case why not put yourself in a better position to become an officer and worry less about the job?

Ryan Martens

FY-11-13 Applicant
I am not trying to be negative, but for all of you that apply for the options that select one a year I have a question; Would you rather be an officer or hold the job you are applying for? I ask because no matter what you get you have to be an officer first and occupation second. Since that is the case why not put yourself in a better position to become an officer and worry less about the job?

That was actually one of the questions at both of my boards. "If you weren't selected for Supply but was told you could be a SWO, would you take it?"
ABSOLUTELY!!!!!

sonarforce

FY-12 Oceano Alternate
Age is an issue for me. I wish I would have applied earlier in my career.