• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY13 STA-21 Applicants

Do you think the numbers will go up next year?

• Total voters

jeeplovindad

FY13 Sta-21 Applicant EDO/SWO
Hey everyone, this is random. But I occassionally would check the forum out last year when my husband applied for FY'12... he applied for the Nuclear option, but wasn't selected. I believe this is the last year he can apply for it since he'll be 24 in July. He seems to think his college transcripts (only his freshman and sophomore year) is what set him back. He had horrible grades in college due to personal reasons in which he explained in his personal statement. I think he averaged out about a 3.5ish during Nuclear Power school. Had great PFA scores since he's athletic. But I guess I always wonder more than him on why he wasn't selected. He's done with his schooling/training and he's been in the fleet in Groton for about 3 months already..with a couple underways done. He's currently in the process of trying to qualify on the sub! He's re-taking his ACTs in a couple of weeks to see if he can get a higher score and improve. While he is at work every day, I'm constantly trying to do my research and trying to help him in any way possible, so I broke down and decided to finally post on here after a year! If anyone has any tips or suggestions, they'd be much appreciated! Thanks! :)
I guess the question I would have for him is whether or not he's considered taking off-duty education while attached to the boat? While it's very impressive to make it through Nuke school with a 3.5, that GPA was earned under the watchful eye of the Navy. If he is selected for STA-21 the Navy wants to know that the Sailor can go unsupervised and maintain the academic excellence that they expect. I think - again this is only an assumption as I have not been selected - that it would benefit him to show that he can thrive when the only thing at stake is his financial situation. Just something to consider.

Keith Delgado

FY-12 Med Corps Alternate
I agree and understand that. But the instruction does not match. This is why I ask.

"Certified academic transcripts from every college attended (if applicable). For those who possess an accredited Associates Degree are strongly encouraged to verify that their degree is documented in their SMART and/or college transcript, otherwise, points will not be awarded." Sta-21 Website.

" (7) Certified copies of academic transcripts from each secondary (high) school, technical school, and college attended. A transcript combining credits from several schools is not sufficient. Transcripts must be legible and not altered in any way. Failure to disclose all academic records will result in disqualification. Final grade reports for courses in which the applicant is enrolled at the time of application will be accepted by mail or FAX transmission until 30 July, if the application package was postmarked by 1 July. NSTC’s FAX number for STA-21 is commercial (850) 452-2486/DSN 922. Note: if service record includes copies of these documents, the applicant’s administrative office may certify them to be true copies. The applicant should include their transcripts with the application and forward directly to NSTC (OD2/STA-21). No requirement exists for submission of official transcripts directly from the educational institution to NSTC. Transcripts received by the applicant should be removed from their envelopes and labeled as enclosures to the application." 1420.1B 8-9

I am just trying to clarify and put it at there to everybody who reads this forum, that is all. I am sure that I am not the only one who has wondered this. :confused:
I just read this again and I think it is clear that originals should be sent. The part that you have highlighted in red means that you don't have to have the school send them directly to pensacola (normally, "official" transcripts are only sent between schools. Instead, you will recieve them and then include them in your package). Does this help answer your question?

breadandbutter

FY-12 Specwar Alternate
What I did for last year's package was probably overkill but I wanted to be safe. I included official transcripts that had been removed from the envelope, and I also included second official transcripts that were still in sealed envelopes, because technically once they are opened they are no longer "official". Anyway, it seemed to work out alright. I was selected Alternate for SpecWar, I will probably do the same thing this year.

hearshot

I just read this again and I think it is clear that originals should be sent. The part that you have highlighted in red means that you don't have to have the school send them directly to pensacola (normally, "official" transcripts are only sent between schools. Instead, you will recieve them and then include them in your package). Does this help answer your question?

Certified copies of academic transcripts from each secondary (high) school, technical school, and college attended. A transcript combining credits from several schools is not sufficient. Transcripts must be legible and not altered in any way. Failure to disclose all academic records will result in disqualification. Final grade reports for courses in which the applicant is enrolled at the time of application will be accepted by mail or FAX transmission until 30 July, if the application package was postmarked by 1 July. NSTC’s FAX number for STA-21 is commercial (850) 452-2486/DSN 922. Note: if service record includes copies of these documents, the applicant’s administrative office may certify them to be true copies. The applicant should include their transcripts with the application and forward directly to NSTC (OD2/STA-21). No requirement exists for submission of official transcripts directly from the educational institution to NSTC. Transcripts received by the applicant should be removed from their envelopes and labeled as enclosures to the application.

Popo Jijo

Primary Complete

It does answer my question. If you sent originals and were able to make Alternate, then this is obviously ok. It would also seem that others have used copies, held the originals, and still were able to be selected too. I think I will email Pensacola today just to see what they say.

As for putting originals in the package, what did you do to them? Did you get them stamped and signed by admin prior to submitting them? Also, did you put enclosure on the front and back? Thanks.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
First, I want you all to know that I understand that your package is important and you want everything to be perfect. Having said that, I also want you guys to know that the board doesn't grade you on what font you use, paper quality, etc. As long as the information they require is there in some form, either an official copy or an original, they could care less. Some administrative person tears your package apart, scores it, and then presents it to the board. I have seen many packages from people that got accepted and they were all different in one way or another. I would recommend sending copies of everything, keeping the originals, and making it easier to submit a subsequent package if necessary. FWIW, I sent copies of everything and was picked up on my first attempt.

Do your best to make sure that you focus on the complete package, submit all requisite items, and then relax.

Keith Delgado

FY-12 Med Corps Alternate
It does answer my question. If you sent originals and were able to make Alternate, then this is obviously ok. It would also seem that others have used copies, held the originals, and still were able to be selected too. I think I will email Pensacola today just to see what they say.

As for putting originals in the package, what did you do to them? Did you get them stamped and signed by admin prior to submitting them? Also, did you put enclosure on the front and back? Thanks.
I did get my transcripts stamped by admin but I’m not sure if it is necessary because the school seal is pressed into them but I did it anyway. Only the first page of the specific enclosure is marked "enclosure". The rest of the pages will be numbered. At least that’s how my admin dept did it. Your admin dept should do that for you or at least tell you how to do it.

JHawkNROTC

FY12 & 13 Supply Corps Applicant
I am sitting in the basement of the Military Science Building at the University of Kansas. The CO of the NROTC unit is Chairing my external board. I am pumped! ROCK CHALK!

ac2NASTY

AC -> OC -> O3E
pilot
I am sitting in the basement of the Military Science Building at the University of Kansas. The CO of the NROTC unit is Chairing my external board. I am pumped! ROCK CHALK!

I'm an OC at KU and will commission this May. Let me know if you have any questions or want to meet up and go over my STA-21 package for reference.

Also, our CO retired last week. Is the XO (acting CO) doing your board?

JHawkNROTC

FY12 & 13 Supply Corps Applicant
I'm an OC at KU and will commission this May. Let me know if you have any questions or want to meet up and go over my STA-21 package for reference.

Also, our CO retired last week. Is the XO (acting CO) doing your board?

Yes, CDR Clark chaired my board. I think it went pretty well, but I sure do wish I could have seen the appraisal sheet or at least gotten some feedback. I would really appreciate if you wanted to take a look at my package. I am in the middle of PCSing and leaving this Sunday. Would you be available this week sometime? I've got movers coming this Wednesday and Thursday, but I am pretty flexible in the evenings...

ac2NASTY

AC -> OC -> O3E
pilot
Yes, CDR Clark chaired my board. I think it went pretty well, but I sure do wish I could have seen the appraisal sheet or at least gotten some feedback. I would really appreciate if you wanted to take a look at my package. I am in the middle of PCSing and leaving this Sunday. Would you be available this week sometime? I've got movers coming this Wednesday and Thursday, but I am pretty flexible in the evenings...

Sure, send me your number and we will set something up. I'll get the other OC's together and maybe meet for dinner in Lawrence.

Jennifer Båtstad

FY-13 STA-21 Selectee
My two cents as well...
I was selected for Oceano this year and as far as the external boards go... I'll tell you like my STA-21 mentor told me (someone who went thru the enlisted commissioning process so if you don't have a mentor to show you the way... get one)... "go big or go home". This is a competition and you want to do everything you possibly can to stand out among the rest. My Nomination Reveiw Board consisted of 3 CAPT's and a LCDR. The CO of NAVSTA Norfolk, a SWO, and a METOC CAPT. The LCDR was a Deck DIVO. She set-up the SWO and METOC CAPT and my OIC set-up the CO as the chair, but I would have done it myself if they weren't as supportive. That board was the most intimidating thing I have ever done in my entire life... 3 O-6's asking you open ended questions, knowing that there is no right or wrong answer, and that they are critiquing your thought process to situations you have never been in! As the precept states, the more senior the board, the more weight it carries and after seeing the results, I think that holds true. Make sure you go thru the process (talking to their staff) but all you have to do is ask. I would be hard pressed to believe that Senior Officers would not want to have the courtesy of having a hand in the success of thier sailors. Like CHodgkins says... your personal statement goes a LONG way... make it personal. No one walking this earth is perfect and making sure the board knows that you have had ups and downs but have triumphed and learned makes you worth the effort. My LOR's were from not only people I have worked for directly, but people I have supported outside my community. The board can see past a Senators letter unless you have directly worked for them. They need the whole picture of who you are and why you're worth the investment.

I'm not sure how meticulous everyone was with their packages, but I went over mine with a fine-tooth comb. I made sure all documents looked professional, had enclosure numbers on the bottom, were oriented perfectly on the page (which took a lot of time because the evals that you pull from your OMPF look like crap). My mentor sat on the STA-21 board some time ago and said that the competition is so stiff that it can often come down to the small attention-to-detail items like that. I went back and forth with my OIC and parent command over a lot of the things that I wanted submitted. I've been in the Navy over 10 years and submitted things from my first duty station as an Airman... anything that makes you stand out among your peers should go in. Let the board decide if it's relevent or not. At the end of the day, it's YOUR package and yours alone... you're the only one who wants it and will be the only one who gets it!!

Good luck with FY-13 and submit again... make sure you put your status in your personal statement to show the board your perserverance... I would hate to not submit and then be left to wonder... what if?

Congratulations again on your acceptance. It was good to see someone make it! The competition was exceptionally tough last year.

As for the rest of us, here we go again... I absolutely dread the boards, but it feels so good when the package finally gets mailed off! What a sense of accomplishment.

Popo Jijo

Primary Complete
I am practically done with my internal boards now. I just have to get my external board scheduled. Hopefully I can get them done soon. I PCS first thing next month. Has anybody else started their boards?

HOPEIMSELECTED4STA-21

FY12 & 13 CORE Applicant
Has anyone ever use their letters of recommendation more than once? I'm wondering if i should include my recommendations from last year with my package this year as well.

DiscoMav

FY 13 STA 21 Applicant
Has anyone ever use their letters of recommendation more than once? I'm wondering if i should include my recommendations from last year with my package this year as well.
Yes, I am using the same LORs from last year-- it shouldn't be an issue since they have already endorsed you-- the only thing that would change would be the date...