• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Fy 11 sta 21 applicants

haubby

None
Contributor
Service selection is very competitive among STA-21 Core options as you are only competing against other STA-21 Core options. I think last year they only selected two pilots and maybe six NFO's, out of about 40 Core options. I know of two people with competitive grades/aptitude/etc that didn't get their first choice. If you want to be a pilot, put in for the pilot option. There are no guarantees with the Core option when it comes to service selection*, no matter how good your grades/aptitude/etc.

*unless you want to be a nuke or a swo

I'm not entirely sure your information is accurate. It's my understanding that we (Core Options) service select right alongside the other MIDN. I wanna say its in the instruction.

sweetnuts

I'm not entirely sure your information is accurate. It's my understanding that we (Core Options) service select right alongside the other MIDN. I wanna say its in the instruction.

The information is accurate. We do service select alongside MIDN, to some extent. We all have to submit our packages at the same time and we all learn of the results at the same time. However, STA-21 Core options only compete against other STA-21 Core options. My command had the same understanding that you have, until one of our Core options didn't get selected for his first choice (SNA). The OC had a very competitive package compared to the other MIDs and the command thought, for sure, he would get his first choice. When the results came out in October and he found out he was selected NFO, the first person at our ROTC in a few years to not get their first choice, our XO called P-cola to find out what was up. They told him what I stated in my previous post. Ask your command what they know, they may be under the same understanding that you are. The OC I am referring to was the first STA-21 Core option at our ROTC in at least five years, so the command didn't really know anything in regards to Core option service selection.

OscarMyers

None
Ralen_jor

I addressed my college failures in my personal statement and i got selected. Take it for what you will. In the end its your package, if you do decide to include it just dont spend alot of time writing about it. maybe a mention of immaturity and how yovue grown since then and move on. Thats what i did. A problem i ran into with my personal statement is that i chose the smaller size of the two that the sta 21 site requires and at the last minute the command wanted me to switch it to the larger so it would match the rest of the package. Low and behold i was jumping through my ass to chop my personal statement that i spent the last year writing. See how your command wants it formatted because when its all said and done they get what they want.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
I have a question for the group regarding putting a disclaimer in the personal statement to account for some poor grades. To be frank, I have 3 F's on my SMART transcript from back when I was younger and more immature. I don't have an excuse, I was just being an idiot. Since then, I've earned an AA degree from the Defense Language Institute in Arabic with a 3.3 GPA. I also have a history of stellar evals. My command admin officer that has been working with me says that in his opinion, it is unnecessary to address the issue because my degree in a very challenging 1.5 year program speaks for itself, and not to worry about the older grades too much because it's very common fault. He also says that I have a very strong personal statement. I'm concerned that if I include it, it will detract from the strength of the letter significantly, and it will also cut great content due to space limitations. Do you guys agree that I shouldn't bring it up, or do you think I should try to explain it? Thanks,

CTI1

I agree with -105...I included the fact that I was immature and stupid in high school and got poor grades as a result. I don't think you can go wrong by including it, and then mentioning how you have "grown" and "matured" using your GPA and degree as evidence.

MR1(SW)-->ENS

FY-10 STA-21 Core Selectee
I have a question for the group regarding putting a disclaimer in the personal statement to account for some poor grades. To be frank, I have 3 F's on my SMART transcript from back when I was younger and more immature. I don't have an excuse, I was just being an idiot. Since then, I've earned an AA degree from the Defense Language Institute in Arabic with a 3.3 GPA. I also have a history of stellar evals. My command admin officer that has been working with me says that in his opinion, it is unnecessary to address the issue because my degree in a very challenging 1.5 year program speaks for itself, and not to worry about the older grades too much because it's very common fault. He also says that I have a very strong personal statement. I'm concerned that if I include it, it will detract from the strength of the letter significantly, and it will also cut great content due to space limitations. Do you guys agree that I shouldn't bring it up, or do you think I should try to explain it? Thanks,

CTI1

Do what you feel you should do. I know its not as recent but i had a failed class in high school but i now have an AA in Marine Engineering and only a year from my BS in Mathematics with no failing grades since then. i never mentioned my grade failure in high school in my personal statement. sometimes they may not catch, why bring it ot their attention if they have the chance to go over it. on my interview boards however, when the board members reviewed my high school transcripts they asked me "why should i recommend you for this program when you have a failing grade right in front of me" and i told him i had overcome that weakness since high school and i also have an AA in front of him. i got picked up for Core first time up. Plus the fact that you have a foreign language under your belt it really helps you out (youll see that when you fill out your application online where it asks if yo uare fluent in foreign language) an AA is an AA its worth major points in your board.

Cleonard19

Contributor
Its interesting that for OCS the PRT minimum is good low vice good high but i chalk it up to sta-21 being more compeititive so they needed to set the bar higher.

That's not an unreasonable expectation at all. And I don't think it's competition between OCS and STA-21 or any nonsense like that. What I think it comes down to is that you needed a SAT-Medium to graduate from boot camp, and you're already in the military, as opposed to most OCS candidates and because of that you're expected to have a higher level of fitness from the get go. Now we all know how "command PT" usually works in the real Navy, but that's besides the point because you are after all applying for a commissioning program, and you should be striving to be the best in all aspects of your life, and not just the ones that earn you bullets on your Eval.

EM1(SW/AW) Hab

Currently applying for SWO/ED option. First time applying for this option, however, fourth time overall. I applied twice for CEC and the first time for SWO(when I was young enough). I have an EOOW letter from a PC and just got my Dockmaster letter. Trying to find an Engineering Duty Officer to be my mentor right now. Just finished my associates from TCC in Engineering. Anyone here selected for ED option last year?

oceanwaiting

FY-11 Core
I'm curious as well. I'm a SWO/IP alternate from FY10, and I can't make the age requirement this year, so I gotta switch to CEC. Looking at last year SWO/IP selectee/alternates were all tech rates, where as CEC are more diffused, but not much bigger quotas. So I think the competition is even more fierce, so good luck to both of us.

MR1(SW)-->ENS

Currently applying for SWO/ED option. First time applying for this option, however, fourth time overall. I applied twice for CEC and the first time for SWO(when I was young enough). I have an EOOW letter from a PC and just got my Dockmaster letter. Trying to find an Engineering Duty Officer to be my mentor right now. Just finished my associates from TCC in Engineering. Anyone here selected for ED option last year?

I wasnt selected for the SWO/ED Option but I applied and got picked up for core. I'm a 25yr old, 7yr MR1, i honestly thought i was a shoe in for the ED program (in a rate where production management is my job, had an EOOW letter from an FFG when I was an E-5, Gas Free Engineer blah blah blah) and when results came out i got picked up first time for CORE. Another MR1 got selected for ED and i heard through the grapevine that you increase your chances if you shadow an ED and have him write you a letter for your package. i was told the reason i didnt get picked up for ED was probably because of my age and i had less than a year left for my BS degree. Where are you stationed at? I know a few ED's in some places, any shore command that has a Repair Officer or even a PMA, chances are high that they are an ED.

kekio86

SWO/ED option then CORE

I am working on my package right now. I am an E-5 on a FFG.I don't have an EOOW letter but I am AEOOW qualified. I am one class away from my AA in electrical engineering. I was trying to apply for SWO/ED option and then Core as backup, but now that I see that MR1 didn't get selected with an EOOW letter I think I should just apply for the Core option. One quick question though... how did you guys printed out your last three PFA/PRTs with raw data from PRIMS? I tried to printed out but it looks weird and unprofessional. I attached a picture of it. I also emailed PRIMS, please advice.
Thanks,
V/r
Future ENS USN

Attachments

• PRT..jpg
    PRT..jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 34

MR1(SW)-->ENS

I am working on my package right now. I am an E-5 on a FFG.I don't have an EOOW letter but I am AEOOW qualified. I am one class away from my AA in electrical engineering. I was trying to apply for SWO/ED option and then Core as backup, but now that I see that MR1 didn't get selected with an EOOW letter I think I should just apply for the Core option. One quick question though... how did you guys printed out your last three PFA/PRTs with raw data from PRIMS? I tried to printed out but it looks weird and unprofessional. I attached a picture of it. I also emailed PRIMS, please advice.
Thanks,
V/r
Future ENS USN

GET THAT EOOW LETTER!!!!! I got my EOOW letter as an MR2 onboard the Halyburton (yeah i just left there a couple years ago i stop in every now and then im only in kings bay GA). That EOOW letter can make you untouchable if you are anything outside of GSM/GSE/EN. Sometimes i wonder if that EOOW letter gave me a boost over the top for getting selected this year (Being as its a second tour divo qual)As far as your PRT sheet you have to go to member, select your name, right click, go to reports (i think) and just print up the last three cycles one at a time. but you might as well wait until the Spring PFA is over cause you will need that one as well. and being an E-5, make sure you get a copy of your Eval after March 15th. how old are you? if you can apply for another program like SWO or something like that i recommend it, they only select a few SWO/ED's a year and quite a few SWO's and CORE's

MR1(SW)-->ENS

Thanks,
V/r
Future ENS USN

Also, make sure you apply for more than just CORE. if you apply for SWO/ED and are also eligible to apply for CORE, you could double your chances of getting picked up.